• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vox Valvenergy pedals

Sqvare_Vülf

I recently started using the mystic edge in preamp mode as my base clean tone with the gain right around 9-10 o’clock and my fryette PS2 as the power section. I don’t have the best ears anymore, but to my ears it is providing that vox “chime” without the ac30 plus the mystic edge takes pedals better. After about a month of ownership I can honestly say that it is finally going to receive Velcro and a spot on the board. Oh, and I am going to buy the vox copperhead to link to the mystic edge. $179 isn’t too bad, but if on reverb you can find Rouge guitar shop of Albany, OR - they accepted my offer of $160 for the mystic edge

LuckyManToday

Well...I was extremely lucky and won a giveaway for all 4 valvenergy pedals. Have only received the Mystic Edge so far and have not done any tests yet. About a week before I got the Iridium which does a spot on Day Tripper tone so the Edge may be redundant - although worth a try in the effects loop of my other amps. BTW, winning those 4 pedals comes with a tax hit of a grand of income added so there will be a "touch of grey" in that silver lining. Looking forward to checking out the Copperhead and Silk drive. Not so much the "metal" pedal but you never know, it may be great.

LuckyManToday

Finally had a little time to check the pedals out.

First, I played a strat through each pedal individually in cab sim mode connected to a headrush 108 frfr powered speaker because I was too lazy to take the cover off my Supro Blues King 12 and power it up. So...this was possibly not the way folks will connect it.

Second, I only played each about 5 minutes, getting a feel for the potential and basic tones offered.

Finally, I used the shipped battery and did not connect to my voodoo lab pedal power from my board.

Due to the above limitations please apply generous amount of salt to my observations as your ears and mileage may vary.

1) The pedals feel well made and sturdy. Thought I saw an earlier post saying that only the top was metal. The only plastic I found was the battery cover.

2) Each pedal has a **LOT** of capability to modify EQ, Volume and Gain. Great range and feel from all controls.

3) Mystic Edge - was easy to get a Beatle Vox sound to my ears (Day Tripper, Ticket To Ride, etc).

4) Cutting Edge - nice variety of harder sounds, I'm not really a metal guy these days but I thought it offered a lot of good sounds and with lots of shades of both dirt and EQ.

5) Copperhead Drive - did a decent job getting Marshall sounds. The lower gain settings were great for ACDC type sounds. Higher gain settings were not bad, just not something I would typically play. Full disclosure:In my younger days (1970's) playing 50 watt Marshalls with either 4x12 or stack I set them relatively clean. Got my grunt from the cab and Marshall tone stack.

6) Silk Drive - this was my fave. Lower drive and it really gave my tone a character boost. A little like an aural exciter but in a natural, transparent way. I may try this as an always on pedal.

All for now. I'm hoping to do more testing with P90 and Humbuckers soon in a pedalboard-amp setup and pedalboard to Iridium. Stay tuned!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Finally had a little time to check the pedals out.

First, I played a strat through each pedal individually in cab sim mode connected to a headrush 108 frfr powered speaker because I was too lazy to take the cover off my Supro Blues King 12 and power it up. So...this was possibly not the way folks will connect it.

Second, I only played each about 5 minutes, getting a feel for the potential and basic tones offered.

Finally, I used the shipped battery and did not connect to my voodoo lab pedal power from my board.

Due to the above limitations please apply generous amount of salt to my observations as your ears and mileage may vary.

1) The pedals feel well made and sturdy. Thought I saw an earlier post saying that only the top was metal. The only plastic I found was the battery cover.

2) Each pedal has a **LOT** of capability to modify EQ, Volume and Gain. Great range and feel from all controls.

3) Mystic Edge - was easy to get a Beatle Vox sound to my ears (Day Tripper, Ticket To Ride, etc).

4) Cutting Edge - nice variety of harder sounds, I'm not really a metal guy these days but I thought it offered a lot of good sounds and with lots of shades of both dirt and EQ.

5) Copperhead Drive - did a decent job getting Marshall sounds. The lower gain settings were great for ACDC type sounds. Higher gain settings were not bad, just not something I would typically play. Full disclosure:In my younger days (1970's) playing 50 watt Marshalls with either 4x12 or stack I set them relatively clean. Got my grunt from the cab and Marshall tone stack.

6) Silk Drive - this was my fave. Lower drive and it really gave my tone a character boost. A little like an aural exciter but in a natural, transparent way. I may try this as an always on pedal.

All for now. I'm hoping to do more testing with P90 and Humbuckers soon in a pedalboard-amp setup and pedalboard to Iridium. Stay tuned!
Very interested to see your findings in front of amp mode. The way you describe the silk drive, it kind of reminds me of how I would describe the Kingsley page.

LuckyManToday

Front of amp mode:
LP Parts-Special. Mahogany slab, bone nut, locking tuners, intonate-able wrap around bridge, nice pots, switch and custom tone cap, Fralin noiseless P90s (Alnico Rods in Neck) ->

tuner -> Fulltone Clyde wah -> xotic SP compressor - > exotic BB preamp -> TC elctronics Alter Ego echo -> Morley mini volume -> xotic EP booster ->

Supro Blues King 12 -> bass 4, mid 4, treble 7, reverb 2.5, pre 2, master dimed

I pulled the EP booster at the end of the chain and connected the Silk Drive

Used a regular 9 volt 100ma output from Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 - pedal did not "light up" when connecting cables

I recalled a prior post mentioning that these boxes liked more current...switched to #5 250ma power connection on voodoo lab and power is back. FWIW, the shipped 9v battery in these had no problem powering the pedal and had tons of output on tab if needed.

So now have power, set all Silk Drive controls at noon and selected to bright switch.
As is mentioned in previous post, the Silk Drive made a huge tone difference. When disengaged it was like I had a tone blanket on that muffled my sound. I played about 30 minutes (until my wife came home and needed help bringing in groceries) and I think the Silk Drive has replaced my EP booster for my always on pedal.

To be continued with the other boxes....

Axe-Man

Please give us a run down of what you feel the Mystic Edge and Copperhead are like into your amp.

Congrats on owning all 4!

Front of amp mode:
LP Parts-Special. Mahogany slab, bone nut, locking tuners, intonate-able wrap around bridge, nice pots, switch and custom tone cap, Fralin noiseless P90s (Alnico Rods in Neck) ->

tuner -> Fulltone Clyde wah -> xotic SP compressor - > exotic BB preamp -> TC elctronics Alter Ego echo -> Morley mini volume -> xotic EP booster ->

Supro Blues King 12 -> bass 4, mid 4, treble 7, reverb 2.5, pre 2, master dimed

I pulled the EP booster at the end of the chain and connected the Silk Drive

Used a regular 9 volt 100ma output from Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 - pedal did not "light up" when connecting cables

I recalled a prior post mentioning that these boxes liked more current...switched to #5 250ma power connection on voodoo lab and power is back. FWIW, the shipped 9v battery in these had no problem powering the pedal and had tons of output on tab if needed.

So now have power, set all Silk Drive controls at noon and selected to bright switch.
As is mentioned in previous post, the Silk Drive made a huge tone difference. When disengaged it was like I had a tone blanket on that muffled my sound. I played about 30 minutes (until my wife came home and needed help bringing in groceries) and I think the Silk Drive has replaced my EP booster for my always on pedal.

To be continued with the other boxes....

LuckyManToday

Hoping to get to the other pedals over the T-day holiday. I'm going to complete the tests with the Supro combo and then move on to test with Iridium as amp. Finally, I'll try them in effects loop of Supro and a Cyber Deluxe. Who knows, maybe I'll grab the Sunn 4x12 out of the garage and get really loud...

Trending Topics