Vox Valvetronix ad60vtx or Pod xt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yanquii, Jul 29, 2006.

1. yanquii

yanquii Member

Im looking for something to play in an apartment/bedroom setting. I was inititally going to just go ahead and get a pod, but I have a bit more money now and am wondering about the vox.

I played the 120vtx a while ago and from what I remember, I really liked it. Although, I dont need a 2x12 combo. Thats just too much.

The only gripe about the pod I have is its use with headphones. I found it to sound pretty terrible through my headphones(Sennheiser HD 457), and with no speaker, I dont know if I am going to like it long-term. But, pod or valvetronix, I do prefer the sound of a speaker over headphones.

So, I would appreciate any user opinions that any of you have.[​IMG]

Also, being lazy and pushed for time that I am-what are all the differences between all of the valvetronix amps?(vt, vtx, etc)

thanks, dudes.[​IMG]

2. TS808

TS808 Member

I own both, the POD XT and a Valvetronix. Go for the Valvetronix. Try the AD50VT...worth a look for sure. LIne 6 stuff sounds too digital compared to the Vox modeling (to me anyway).

3. yanquii

yanquii Member

Cool, thanks, man.

What is the difference between the vtx and the vt? What is the x for?

btw, the clips of the ad50vt sound excellent.:AOK

4. dmg34

dmg34 Member

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

I love my Valvetronix AD50 when played through a good cab. For whatever reason the stock speaker/cabinet has zero bottom end...even tried different speakers. The amp can deliver the goods, just needs a good cabinet.

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The speaker. The vtx has a neodog. Supposed to be a upgraded speaker.

I'm thinking of selling my vtx60 with foot controller if you are interested.

7. yanquii

yanquii Member

Hm. How much? Im definitely interested.

8. gooma

gooma Member

Another vote for the Valvetronix here,

To my ears at least the Vox valvetronix are the best of the modeling amps out there.

If your after a great headphone late night practicing tool the Line 6 Guitar Port is a pretty cool device. I think the headphone out on the valvetronix is before the 12AX7 so that may be why it doesnt sound all that good.

I`d totally agree that these amps could use a nice speaker and a decent cabinet. I`ve got the AD30VT and the 10" speaker is ok for bedroom levels. I`m thinking of building a nice pine cabinet to house the chassis and load a G12H30 in there.

Brad

9. yanquii

yanquii Member

Does the toneport sound good through headphones of computer speakers?

10. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

I owned a ad50vt and it actually had lots of usable tones. Great Vox -y clean and nice OD. It was a great recording amp and nice for low volume headphone kinda thing. not REAL strong on the effects but what modeler is really.

11. gooma

gooma Member

Yeah definately, i`ve been using it quite a bit lately and if you have some quality headpones you`ll be pretty happy with the tones this thing can produce.

It`s pretty cheap and has a nice cabinet simulator that you could use for direct recording if needed. There`s a heap of lessons and backing tracks on Guitar Port online also.

good luck
    Brad

12. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

PM sent.

13. TS808

TS808 Member

The AD30, 50, and 100VT have fewer amp models on them than the VTX, different speakers, and you can only use 2 channels...not all the presets like on the VTX. Personally, I like just having two channels rather than alot of presets that I won't use, plus less patches to edit.

14. 1964

1964 Member

The 15, 30, 50 and 100 are budget versions of the 60 and 120. It's an amateur series sitting under the pro series, hence the price differences. They're quite different, especially if you plan to gig.

15. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

I have the POD XTL and I also a Vox Valvetronic AD120VT. The Vox is very good but the lack of controlability is infuriating. I hate their floorboards, and the lack of MIDI is obviously a ploy to make you buy their crap boards.

The Vox is not upgradeable, you can't add models or change the firmware and you can't download patches.

The POD allows you to use MIDI, it allows upgrades to all software and line 6 actively support their product.

As for digital sounding? Try running it through a tube power amp, I personally use a Dual Rectifier head as a mono power amp into a Mesa 1X12 cab and it works great. I really like it as a preamp and it's useful as a direct recording device. The POD sounds better than my Vox when used with the head and the 1X12 cab and it's easier to transport since the weight is about equal but the parts as more easily balenced.

My vote is for the POD, and my AD120VT is for sale if you want it.

JT

16. yanquii

yanquii Member

Right now, that is the only reservation I have with the Vox. When the upgrade their series, I guess I will just be sol.:BITCH

I dont need all the stuff the POD has on it. I would rather have a few great sounding models than a gazillion ok ones.

17. photoguy

photoguy Member

Vox. I owned a 60VT and a 120VT. I thought they sounded and worked great. Ended up selling them to friends when I went on a tone quest...looking back, I had everything I needed all along!

18. EddieEzzborne

EddieEzzborne Member

19. EddieEzzborne

EddieEzzborne Member

20. Miles

Miles Member

I would recommend a lower wattage valve combo.

If you're choosing between the two, I would get the VOX simply because it has speakers. PODxt relies on headphones. I've owned both, and liked the valvetronix, but I ended up getting a Vetta II used for recording. I can't substitute digital for valve in a live setting yet, but I use digital to record and for practice.