VOX Virage

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sluhsh, Jan 27, 2008.

1. sluhsh

sluhsh Member

I want one of every color in both the single and double cutaway!

Anybody else like these as much as me?

2. eru

eru Member

I think they're really pretty and I want to try a double-cut in black with the combination of woods, but I don't think I'll ever get the chance.

And I really hope those pickups are the same size as a humbucker, because every time I've tried something toted as amazing the way those have been, they suck.

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to try one sometime. I'm with eru, just about everytime I've seen guitars that supposedly "do-it-all", they suck. hard. These are Dimarzios, so I'm going to give Steve the benefit of the doubt and say that it's a pretty darn good sounding guitar, but I'll just have to wait and see for myself.

The white ash DC is strikingly beautiful!

4. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I checked these out at NAMM and they were pretty, but the workmanship was pretty sloppy. I liked the way they sounded acoustically (I didn't plug them in) but noticed more than a few shortcuts build wise. Lots of filler inbetween wood layers and big time glue lines. It's like they didn't take the proper steps to fruition on basic things like planing their wood 'til it was flat before gluing the tops on. Things like that stuck out. They seemed on par with Epiphones, but felt better to me.

5. kayaker

kayaker Member

Yeh, for the rumored $2,500 street price, I'm pretty disappointed in the comments I've heard so far. In another thread here, some folks that tried them said they sounded "kinda blah" ... and "dead sounding" (as I recall). Not that "Epiphone quality" is bad, but for $2,500?

Too bad, since they look great in the pictures and seem to have a lot of cool, innovative design and construction features. I hope Vox can get these issues straightened out and the Virage can live up to the hype.

6. codeorama

codeorama Member

They seem like awesome guitars, but not for 2500... Just my opinion of course.

7. sluhsh

sluhsh Member

$2,500.00 ? Yikes! I'd rather get a Vinetto.

8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Wow... I didn't realize they wanted $2500... they must be crazy. :NUTS $2500 can buy you a lot of guitar by some very good competition (Gibson, PRS...) - I'm sorry Vox, I may be skeptical here, but it doesn't sound like they're going to be able to compete.

9. ford

ford Supporting Member

wow.... didn't know they were going to be priced like that..... I can get a Fano for 500 to 850 bucks less.... and that is a TOP NOTCH guitar....

rock

bford

10. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

A korean or chinese guitar with the vox name on it won't open my wallet. It's just a marketing scam.

11. dieselJosh

dieselJosh Member

What the heck is a Fano?

(I liked the perty pics of these new VOX guit-fiddles too, and the features looked nice)!

12. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

$2500? where are these made?

13. nsps

nsps Member

You wouldn't be asking if you played one. ;)
    www.fanoguitars.com

14. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

$1500 possibly $1750..yes..
    $2500 nope and i think they will realize they dropped the ball on the price. i also think they get a lot of the price from the special pickups that dimarzio did for them thinking that will justify the price and you'll only be able to get those pickups if you buy the vox..

15. buchla300

buchla300 Member

These look fabulous
    I'll try one out for sure.
    Seems as if people expect these to be cheap guitars when if you read about the design and components, it is clear these are high quality instruments.
    Price? I'll wait and see what you actually have to pay to get one first..
    But they certainly look like very interesting guitars

16. almcg2

almcg2 Member

I own it and don't have in my possession yet... DAMN!!
    I won an eBay auction for some charity. Price is supposed to be MSRP $2000 to $2500. I got mine for a winning bid of $1500. The materials, design work and flexibility could make for a great axe. We'll see how this little beauty works out. I like what I've read and heard so far. Maybe the NAMM version wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. Since the real deal isn't due out until May, I would guess the show demos were slapped together pretty quick.

17. almcg2

almcg2 Member

Ok, now we know $3395 or so MSRP for Double Cut and $3295 or so MSRP for Single Cut. Street prices from every place I've seen so far are $2495 for DC and $2395 for SC. I'm trying to get them to send a black instead of the red from the auction. At the $1500 I paid, I'm feeling very good about the price for the components involved and the technology used to produce it. This isn't a slapped together instrument from one of Fender or Gibson's Mexican, Chinese, Korean etc assembly plants, based on an old design. Rather, it's redesigned top to bottom, from scratch and built in the FujiGen Gakki factory in Japan. This factory has a reputation as one of the elite guitar manufacturers in Japan. I'm darn happy with all the prelim info and the look. We'll know the truth when I get it in my hands in a month.

18. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Here is the official site: http://www.voxvirage.com/

Street Price will be $2499 for the Double Cutaway & $2399 for the Single Cutaway. Made in Japan.

AWESOME Guitars! Worth every penny in my opinion. A lot of cutting edge ideas on these.

19. Digam11

Digam11 Member

Wow, I saw these in some of the reports on line from Vox during NAMM and got all excited about them but had no clue as to the price. If I had $2400 to spend on a Vox guitar , and I AM a big Vox fan, I`d keep my eyes on E bay for a vintage 60s Teardrop in great shape.

20. buchla300

buchla300 Member

2 different things though
    These are high end guitars with some pretty great new features and a build quality that should be up there with the anything else.
    The teardrops are cool guitars to look at, but if you want great sounds and playability, I'd look elsewhere...IMHO of course..