Vox vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NeilYoung Fever, Dec 22, 2009.

1. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Two legendary amps both with notorious for sounding great. Which does it more for you and why? Clean and dirty comparisons would be ideal.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Two different sounds. Both have their tone and are wonderful for it. There is no better between these amps.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

The Vox is more compressed, squishier, and has more midrange. Vox cleans tend to have some hair and have a sweet chimey top end. They overdrive gloriously. The BF Fender is stiffer, cleaner, and more scooped. The cleans are absolutely classic. They also overdrive more abruptly then a Vox and are less smooth. Both are great.

4. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Yes I know I was asking more or less what the differences were and personal preferences.

5. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

That is every reason why I own a Vox AC30. I also feel like they cut through a mix like a knife.

6. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

You need to hear it for yourself, rather than having a bunch of us offer our verbal descriptions.

Each amp has its own characteristics, and it is your tastes and your ears which will determine the best fit.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Also, Fenders sound different from Fenders.

Tweeds
    Browns
    Blondes
    Blacks
    Silvers

All sound different from each other and models within each period sound different from each other.

I love the sound of a Vox AC30, but I prefer the sound of a brown/blonde amp driving 10" speakers. Brown/Blonde amps with that setup wonn't sound anything like most blackface amps.

8. Claytone

Claytone Member

I own both, a 62 brown Vibrolux and a 65 AC-30. My favorite amp is an original JMI-era Vox AC-30 in good working condition. These amps, set up properly, are not as tempramental as their reputation. An AC-30 can give you everything from Beatle chime and grind (She Said She Said) and can get loud as hell. The Fender brown amp is clean, warm and the size of a Deluxe making it easier to carry. Also plenty loud at approx. 35 watts. As has been said, listen to them both and choose based on what you hear.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I like both... this is why I run stereo off my chorus or delay with one amp a Fender and the other a Vox.

10. ROKY

ROKY Member

An old Blonde Bassman thru a pair of Celestion alnicos is the way to go .

11. drewl

drewl Member

Like comparing steak and Lobster!
    Both great, and luckily I have an AC30 and a Pro Reverb, and like surf and turf, they go together well!
    Pro Reverb is a great all around amp, and the Vox is thicker and cuts like crazy.

12. enocaster

enocaster Member

I always wanted a Fender as a youngin' and finally got a NMV Silverface Super Reverb after years of pining and savin'. It was a "good one" (I got to test it in a room full of silverface amps). I found myself always using it with a dirt pedal set to super low-gain to juice up the clean sound… after years of this I bought an AC30CC1 (after testing the EL84 waters with a Bad Cat) and sold the Super with no regret (ok, maybe a little - the reverb was beautiful). I love the slightly dirty clean sound, sweet mids, and sparkly highs of the Vox!

I would looove to try a Brown or Blonde Fender though.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Both are amazing signature amp tones. I'm more of a Fender guy. Just am - no other reason than that! LOL! I guess I like that bigger/fatter Fender overdriven tone a bit more!

14. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

apples and oranges

15. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

57 Fender Harvard vs 66 Vox Pathfinder ?

hehehe the Vox was the deal for 350 and a mod Master volume that worked (sacriledge of course), it out shined a nearby Marshall 800! Of course I couldn't turn up the Stack at the time, but the Vox sounded good is the point.

of course the Harvard had a real nice sound with a 66 firebird on it with 3 original p90s! :bong

I guess I'll have to settle for my mk1 re-issue w/ 2 strats and the-paul-2
    to choose from... the only flaw seems to be that when its JJ tubes are on standby all day they tend to sound like Crap!