VOX VT20 dynamics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CptnMayo, May 6, 2015.

1. CptnMayo

CptnMayo Member

I seem to feel SS amps are more responsive to touch then we give them credit for, although tube amps are much warmer. I'm starting to think a large Vox VT80 would suit me better. Choice is in the eye of the beholder but I love the tone this little vox gives me on the UK rock yellow setting but it has that lovely SS sterile/digital thing going on.

Here's a clip to show you a basic run down of tonal characteristics and dynamics I'm talking about:
    https://soundcloud.com/chris-holmes-90/vox-vt20-dynamics
    excuse the sloppy playing and let me know if I edited it poorly, I'm about 98% new to home recording. Set it up as the headphone out to my USB interface.

Is there a tube amp with similar tonal qualities? From clean to mean in a single channel with the volume knob? Then blast it for some hard rock with a pedal?

Basically, I love my rockerverb, it's bad ass but mostly on gain at 2 o'clock+ with a boost, it's not proficient at the mid gain and put it into kick ass with the guitar volume knob. People have told me it does but I guess it's not my thing. :dunno

You run around looking online and listening to clips to find that perfect sound, you think you've got it, plucked 1000+$ into one and find out you're disappointing. Unfortunately, here in Knoxville, the guitar amp selection is dismal.

Any suggestions?

2. lareplus

lareplus Member

maybe move to Austin? I would toy with the idea of pairing a small low watt tube amp with the VT20 for the best of both worlds.