1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

VOX VT20 dynamics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CptnMayo, May 6, 2015.

1. CptnMayo

CptnMayo Member

I seem to feel SS amps are more responsive to touch then we give them credit for, although tube amps are much warmer. I'm starting to think a large Vox VT80 would suit me better. Choice is in the eye of the beholder but I love the tone this little vox gives me on the UK rock yellow setting but it has that lovely SS sterile/digital thing going on.

Here's a clip to show you a basic run down of tonal characteristics and dynamics I'm talking about:
    https://soundcloud.com/chris-holmes-90/vox-vt20-dynamics
    excuse the sloppy playing and let me know if I edited it poorly, I'm about 98% new to home recording. Set it up as the headphone out to my USB interface.

Is there a tube amp with similar tonal qualities? From clean to mean in a single channel with the volume knob? Then blast it for some hard rock with a pedal?

Basically, I love my rockerverb, it's bad ass but mostly on gain at 2 o'clock+ with a boost, it's not proficient at the mid gain and put it into kick ass with the guitar volume knob. People have told me it does but I guess it's not my thing. :dunno

You run around looking online and listening to clips to find that perfect sound, you think you've got it, plucked 1000+$ into one and find out you're disappointing. Unfortunately, here in Knoxville, the guitar amp selection is dismal.

Any suggestions?

2. lareplus

lareplus Member

maybe move to Austin? I would toy with the idea of pairing a small low watt tube amp with the VT20 for the best of both worlds.