Vox VT20X, This sounds bad? Really?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Al Varez, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

I keep seeing this amp getting dumped on here as lousy sounding. I haven't tried one in person myself. This is probably one of the very few well recorded(non-cellphone) demos I've seen. Here I think it sounds excellent. This amp is around $175. People here pay way more than that for a dirt pedal.

GrantRowlands, CBHTele and aizenx like this.
  2. aizenx

aizenx Member

Agreed. I don't get the hate either. I tried one at guitar center (cringe) the other day and it sounded great to me. :dunno

I think the vtx series sounds killer here too:

GrantRowlands likes this.
  3. jageya

jageya Member

I tried the vt40x for 4 hrs in a private room and I like 3 of the amp models....but effects are not good so overall aand i had my laptop hooked up with the edit software..so......not worth my $$. I wanted it to blow me away but.....very cheap sounding overall.
    I think the vox av series sounds better but i am not impressed with that amp either compared to the older blue ad60/120 vtx amps or the older 150vtx amp. The av is a step in a good direction but falls short overall again!!!...Dan it vox you were so cutting edge years ago with the 2 amps i mentioned earlier and the tonelab se....but then you dropped the ball...
    never tried the vt100x but overpriced for what it is...plus there are alot of amp models and deeper tweaks in there but you need the editor and i was not impressed with the software.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

My main concern with the VTX series (over the AV) is that while some of the base amp tones aren't bad, it tends to sound more artificial as you add in the effects. I spent about an hour with one (a 40), and kind of liked it, until I started adding in the effects. After kicking in all three effects banks, the artifacts that were creeping in were not pleasant. Now, generally I probably wouldn't play with all three engaged, but the fact that with the limited effects palate, you would think there is enough DSP room to accommodate them all, but not here I guess.

5. aizenx

aizenx Member

It's a tough call for me. While I like the clean tones of the AV series, the high gain (which is my primary focus) sounds like raspy garbage in every demo I've heard. Not to mention it has no pre fx, and for what I play, would certainly need a boost to tighten the flabby bass.

I like the all in one nature of the vtx, but not if it sounds artificial (although I don't play with a lot of post fx, so that may not be an issue).

6. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Seems like most people have no idea what that tube in that amp is really doing. It's not providing the overdrive. The amp is not a tube amp. It's Vox's Valve Reactor circuit. Analog power amp modeling, basically.

I didn't care for most of the tones presented in that video, especially not the higher gain stuff. Boomy, raspy, kind of sterile sounding. Some of the cleans sounded okay.

pima1234 likes this.
  7. jageya

jageya Member

true....again i still feel the older blue ad60/120 vtx amps and the vtx150 amps are superior tone wise...vox has digressed...even the effects on those amps were better then the ones on the new vox amps.

8. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

Well, I think I'm gonna be eating some crow, here...I had an old store credit from SA to burn, so I stopped by yesterday, and for giggles, I plugged into a VT20x, among other things. I think the 40 that I tried previously at the local GC was glitchy or something, because this little 20 was outstanding. I went ahead and took it home :). The AV30 I had seemed a bit...I dunno, less dynamic (?) in the long run? Whatever, I cranked the little 20 and besides the good tones, I did notice that the thing was pretty solid in that it DIDN'T RATTLE AT ALL :eek: - I have NEVER had a combo - tube or SS - that didn't at least have SOME sympathetic vibration, if not worse, but this thing doesn't do that. The speaker hangs in there pretty well, too. I haven't tried the Tone Room software, yet, so that could add a bit of spice...

I am still looking forward to trying out a Marshall Code and compare it to this, though.

9. jageya

jageya Member

i agree....vox has really dropped the ball in modeling since the older vtx amps. Too bad. They were actually a leader in tone in the area with the valve reactor technology and then after the older vtx amps started releasing cheaper less functional amps and to this day now toys in my opinion.

10. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Okay, so it's the first "tube amp" he's ever had, but it "does" all those real tube amps he mentioned?

Hmm...

He has a nice collection of guitars. Time to start a nice collection of tube amps. Or, you know... maybe just start with some of the better modelers out there.

eriwebnerr likes this.
  11. aizenx

aizenx Member

Vox should just reissue the blue series at a good price point. Win win.

(Although I will say, I demoed the vt100x for an hour or so at high volume and could easily gig with it. Plenty of great tones to be had.)

12. jageya

jageya Member

agree but it will never happen. They have dumbed down their modeling . I see a few companies like marshall code making dirt cheap stuff price wise so i think the market these companies are reaching for it the lowend consumer. (price wise i meant) The whole 500-900 area is wide open for an amazing product to sit in.

13. aizenx

aizenx Member

Yeah, i agree. Unfortunately, they are targeting a completely different market now (i guess it makes sense from a strictly financial perspective). However, I know I'd buy one and it seems like it's money left on the table. Oh well.

14. jageya

jageya Member

I played the vt40x for a few hours in a closed room with pc editor and was left bummed. Sure of all the amps in there i liked like 3 but didnt love them. The effects were blah. I have an older as60vtx /an ad120vtx/ and a vtx150 and they are all far superior in tone and even effects. I think the days of true innovation are over with vox. My guess is that the older vtx amps sounded "too good" and cut into sales of their upper line stuff so they axed it and started making crappier modeling amps that sounded like sub par stuff so it wouldnt interfere with the upper line gear. Maybe i am wrong but for the life of me i dont know why they got off that track they were on and went to this recent sub par track.

The only company i have seen recently that has some innovation is blackstar and the id/idcore range to me. The marshall code is to me looking ok on a cheap level but also not something i would buy. The idcore 100 i am considering.. because i enjoy my id260 amp and i enjoy stereo effects and a wide stereo sound from an amp. My needs are simple and while the older vox ad/vtx amps has a ton of amp choices i really only need under 10 amp tones to play with.Most others are simply flavors on these 10 amps(even less then 10 really..maybe 4-6_)...Sometimes i find 2 or 3 amp tones on my amp and just play those for weeks on end...sometimes only 1 amp tone will make me happy. I like the all in one amp vs floor unit approach as all the components work together and seem to be made to work together well. In a floor unit sure you can vary using diff amps/speakers/frfr units to vary the tones and get diff results and various new tones even but for me this leads me astray from playing and creating. A real amp is pretty much set and go and i like that.So with my ad/vtx amps its pretty much set and go yet includes the models to choose from onboard( like any modeler i guess) but the power amp and effects are there and work perfect together and the package is to my ears great. I also get good results from my tonelab se but have to use headphones or hook to a amp and speakers to get the mojo and that can be a pain. I also have and use a cybertwin se stereo combo and a spidervalve mk2 2-12 combo and get great tones from those as well..

15. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Member

I've had a VT40x at home for a few days now, testing it out as a practice/recording amp, and I figured I would put my thoughts here instead of creating a new thread.

I also picked up a cheap Roland Cube 40gx at the same time to try them side by side. The Cube got returned quickly, it just had a very unnatural and boxy sound to it that couldn't be fixed with the on-board EQ. Some say the Cube is good for metal, and that might be true, but I'm looking for clean-to-overdrive rock sounds which the Vox does much better.

The VT40x sounds very natural by comparison, it's very easy on the ears at any volume. The speaker and cabinet seem well tuned, i.e. there aren't any stray resonant frequencies that jump out. My one critique in this area is that the bass seems a little weak for a 10" speaker. I know it is a small amp but it still seems a bit thin, as though Vox might be employing some low cut filter hidden within the software modeling, maybe to prevent blowing the speaker. Just speculating there. All I can say is that the Bass EQ control doesn't seem to do much past 3 o'clock on any of the models I tried.

This amp has a Power Level control along with the Gain and Volume controls, like others in the VT series. It was a little confusing to me at first so I read other user reviews online to see how it works I found some good advice that helped me get better sounds out of this amp. Basically you want to keep that Power Level control at least half way up or more, and then turn the Volume knob down if you want quieter bedroom-level sounds. The Power Level sounds like crap in the first 1/4 of the knob's range. Also, the Gain knob doesn't need to be cranked on the hi gain models, in fact if you dime it the amp will get muddy. On the Marshall model you can get great rock tones with the Gain less than half way up.

My overall impression of the VT40x is that it sits at the high end of the "THR10" type of practice amps. By that I mean these are specifically designed and tuned to sound like a recording of a big amp in a big room, except reproduced on a small system. Though it can get loud if you want it, I think it lacks some bottom end punch that would be needed to compete with a typical stage amp. If I were going to record in a home studio with the VT40x I would probably first try it at a medium volume using a condenser mic placed a little farther away. You can't do that playing live with a band of course, but if you're flying solo or just overdubbing tracks at home, I think that approach would sound great.

16. Kenneth Loseman

Kenneth Loseman Member

i've been playing for a few decades and these modern VOX modeling amps sound great as long as you don't overload them with effects. But my personal fave (for a modeling amp) is the Blackstar ID:Core series. They beat the others hands down.