• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Voxengo/Reaper frequency analysis question

echos

Hey all. Thanks to everybody who replied on my last thread. I've go Voxengo up and running in Reaper. I'm able to see frequency analysis of recorded tracks but not live tracks. Can anybody help me out with that?

But my main question is this, I'm not seeing much change in the frequency as I change the tone stack of my amp (currently using a podHD 500). Everything looks pretty flat across the spectrum. Example, I recorded a short clip of a 1-4-5 rhythum progression in G using bar chords with my normal tone ( park 75 mid:75 bass: 50 and treb:55. if i recall or something close to that) frequency doesn't really LOOK different than when I dial in any of the following:
All treb
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treb:10

All mids
Bass:0
Mid:10
Treb:0

I was expecting to see a mid bump in my normal tone, a treb bumb in the all treb clip with other frequencies attenuated and frown spectrum in the all mids clip. Instead, what I saw was a pretty flat frequency response on the voxengo analysis on all three settings. Now I could certain hear the difference but why could I not see the difference? I was looking at the spectrum from 70hz to 10kHz I think.

Should I not have been playing a chord? Should I be using a different setting on the Span? Is what I'm looking for not going to show with this set up?

By the way, my goal in doing this is just to get better acquainted with what frequencies I like in my tone and be better able to dial those in or out with whatever unit I'm playing with.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
I believe there's another insert for the incoming signal (default is post recording). You need to insert the Voxengo plug there instead. Arm the live track and look at the mixer panel, there's a insert button top right of the fader.

meambobbo

i know in cubase i have to enable monitoring on the track to see real-time freq analysis.

as far as the differences, are you using a distorted patch? The Park derives a fair amount of its distortion from the power section, so changing the amp EQ is going to do more to change the distortion tone than the output frequencies.

Also, guitar amp EQ is much milder than you might expect. To see the differences more clearly, I would first adjust the slope in Voxengo to get a relatively flat looking response while playing. Then adjust the high/low range options to basically zoom in. You should see more detail that way.

Keep in mind a -/+ 3 db is actually a big difference in perceived volume, especially at higher volumes. I'd look for changes in that range rather than +/- 30-40 db swings.

echos

Thanks meam. I have the amps gain about 35 to 40% if I recall and the amps volume at 75%. I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks again.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom