Vpick players - how is the consistency these days?

sl33py

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

I tried out V-Picks about 2-3 years ago and while I really liked their Medium Pointed Lite (1.5mm thick), the consistency wasn't what I needed it to be: when comparing the 5-6 picks I ordered at once, some bevels were sharp, some round, some only beveled one way (ie. the pick point was off-centre to the width of the pick). Vinni' has good customer service, and to his credit, he sent me out a bunch more picks that he made by hand, but they were much the same as the first batch, so I just moved on.

Since some time has passed, can anyone tell me about the consistency these days? I presume they're still bevelled by hand and I guess this is sort of the deal with ANY hand bevelled pick. I tried gravity picks too, but found they didn't stick to my fingers quite as well as the V-picks.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
The last batch I received this past year I wasn't impressed with either for the same reasons. I also found the shape of the tips inconsistent as well as deeper scratches that hadn't been sanded out. By comparison the Gravity picks I had received at the same time were spotless perfect and have been every time, so I've been using them ever since and have been completely happy with the product.

elron hoover

No such issues for me and I've been using V-Picks for a few years now, trying several different types so far. Gravity Picks are great as well, and may have the edge cosmetically, but my favorite overall pick is the Screamer Pearly Gates.

sl33py

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah the Screamers were all uniform, they are most likely injection molded, or at least not hand bevelled. It's the ones hand-bevelled that bugged me. Shame I found them too large/heavy. I tried a few of the other injection molded ones but didn't like em as much.

willyboy, I just placed an order for a couple more Gravity picks... will give em another chance.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't noticed any differences in the Large Pointed Ultralites.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah the Screamers were all uniform, they are most likely injection molded, or at least not hand bevelled. It's the ones hand-bevelled that bugged me. Shame I found them too large/heavy. I tried a few of the other injection molded ones but didn't like em as much.

willyboy, I just placed an order for a couple more Gravity picks... will give em another chance.

I agree with your comment about the V-picks being more sticky and you can grip them better, though the Gravity picks I don't seem to have any issues with as far as gripping them. I'd recommend perhaps getting them with the grip holes or other texturing to help with that.

lifeinsong

I've been using V-Picks for about 3-4 years now and the consistency has been tremendous. The customer service is great and the shipping is fast...I can order on a Sat or Sun and have the picks 2-3 days later.

Reactions: C-4

C-4

I have also been using V-Picks for at least four years. Vinnie does a specific style and thickness for me using 3 different shapes, and every time I get them, they are perfect.

I found that if my hand get dirty, or sweaty, that washing the V-Picks with soap and water just before going on, makes them feel "grippy" again.

sl33py

Silver Supporting Member
willyboy, tried the ones with holes in last time. Really don't like holes/texture/thumb 'dips' of any sort... just want that super gummy feel that most acrylics give, on a flat uniform surface :) I'm actually putting together a list of all the picks I can find, for 5h1ts and giggles when I think it's halfway comprehensive (it's not just acrylics)

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Wegen 5mm Fatone's quite a bit too. They have a really nice indentaton on one side and grooves on both sides machined into the picks so they really stay put. The only downside with the Wegen's, are the very limited pick shapes and sizes compared to Gravity and V-picks.

ellsworthman

Gold Supporting Member
I've bought V-picks several times, always been happy with their consistency, although the last batch I ordered came gummed to a piece of cardboard. That was the first time that happened; I hope it's the last.

zul

Gold Supporting Member
I use the medium pointed lite too and order them 10 at a time. Three sides that I can switch between depending on wear. Six if you turn them around.
I don't go through them as fast after I learned from Vinni that you can just score them with a pocket knife to get the bevels smooth again.
Moreover, I hybrid pick most of the time so any pick does tend to last longer for me.
Did that for awhile, until I realized that I liked them more when they were played in a little.
The little textures that develop on the bevels after awhile was the sound I wanted.
So I started playing the new ones at home and rehearsals till they were a little worn and broken in, and used them live.

Recently, I saw that they were offering the 'Ghost Rim touchup tool', a wood and sandpaper accessory that puts a ghost rim to the picks.
Gives the picks a raspy, textured surface that gives one that May/Gibbons scrape.
I think that they were specifically developed for the Ghost Rim V picks, but I tried these on the regular picks and they work for me.
Might try some different grades of sandpaper later down the road to see if I have a preference.

I've been a customer for a long time and love their picks, especially when they made my favorite pick in my favorite V pick color, Emerald Green.
I lost a lot of the clear ones during the years, before they offered them in colors, and even though they are affordable, it still pinches a little when I lose one.

Last edited:

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered a few probably 6 months ago and I really like them. Need to re-ghost up the edges of the Ghost Rim Lite I ordered and the standard edge. Amazing how dynamic they are for such a thick pick.

S1Player

I have a bunch of the V-picks from the 3 mm up to the colossal and insanity and they work great.

I have gravity picks and I like the variety of shapes and the hole in the pick for grip. I like a few of the shapes of Gravity picks just a bit more than the V-pick. Though they are both great and I think it comes to personal preference.

I like the feel of the Wegens but I find they have a bit of a "chirp" sound when playing.

throbert

A number of years ago I sent Vinni a pick to copy and he did and I really liked it for acoustic playing. I use different picks for sounds and textures and I liked that one. I was down to my last one and I asked if he could do the job again and I sent him the last one. I got a bunch of picks back that were nothing close to what I wanted and the explanation that he wouldn't do it. I prefer small jazz type picks and I've tried a number of versions of the "Chicken Picker" and I didn't care for any of them. I've just given up on V-Picks
and I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here that haven't. Just kind of disappointed since I used like that particular one that I had.

sl33py

Silver Supporting Member
I understand that hand-made picks will always have (small) some variation in end result, but for what I want, I don't want to pay $4 for something that I have to mess with.

filtersweep

Consistency has been great. The question is if you like the attack (mine tend to chirp) when playing higher gain stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom