Vpick Tourbox - Post reviews here!

corbetta

Silver Supporting Member
First of all, let me thank Wundergussy for doing this. I had a lot of fun exploring such a variety of picks and pick-like objects...as well as some surprises.

The one take-away bit
it's amazing how, given enough time, you can get used to things. I always thought Vinnie's larger, more colossal offering were a bit kooky...yet I was extremely surprised at how well I adapted to a couple of them. Even those I didn't love, I could still use—and I could probably grow to love them for what they are, if I were to stick with them for an even longer amount of time.

My picking background
I am mostly a classical guitarist, so my picks of choice are my fingernails and -tips. I do play quite a bit of electric guitar (especially in experimental/avant-garde contexts) and I'd say I spend about as much time using my fingers as I do picks. I've also played electric in rock bands in the past (pick of choice when I was a teenager: Dunlop Big Stubby),
and flatpicked acoustic and resophonic guitar for several years (picks of choice: David Grisman "Dawg" and "Dawg II", pretty much any mandolin pick, and most recently the V-Pick Pearly Gates Medium Rounded). I am mostly a single-note, alternate picking sort of guy.

The Review
I've taken a picture and put in some numbers for reference. I hope to be naming everything correctly, but at least this way they will be grouped by "family"

picks2.jpg

Group 1: Switchblade (clear and blue), Venom

Switchblades: I didn't really like either. Really stiff feel, and the bevel didn't work for me—I could feel the pick drag on the string, definitely not a match here. Attack was too pronounced for my taste.

Venom: A TAD better. Probably because of the smaller size I felt as if I had more control, but still not my pick of choice. Sound was clear, perhaps too clear, strong attack.

Group 2: Chicken Picker, Lite Small

Chicken Picker: Big improvement over the Venom for me, warmer, fatter sound, smoother feel and rounder attack.

Lite Small: Very close to the Chicken Picker, perhaps a tad more control (for me) due to the wider grip. I really liked this one.

Group 3: Tradition, Tradition Lite, Euro II

The Tradition reminded me a bit of my old fave, the Dunlop Big Stubby, although it's not as pointed and not as thick. Nice smooth feel, I noticed a bit of chirp I didn't care for.

The Tradition Lite reminded me of the Switchblade in feel, although the tone was smoother (the bevels are VERY different). Still not a fave for ergonomic reasons.

The Euro II, surprisingly, impressed me. I liked the overall feel and tone, kind of a supercharged version of the Chicken Picker. I attribute that to the bevel. It was a bit "spanky" on clean sounds, which I don't particularly care for.

Group 4: Pearly Gates Medium Rounded, Small, and Screamer; Glow-in-the-Dark Medium Rounded

The Pearly Gates Medium Rounded is my own and a pick I'm really used to. I like its balance between clarity of attack and smoothness. Ergonomically I find it fast and secure. It was sort of the implied benchmark for the entire review, and though I found a few picks I want to order, it will probably remain as my first choice.

The Screamer is so similar, yet so different. The longer angles just don't work with my technique, especially in a pic so close in size to the one I'm used to. Tone was a bit clearer than the rounded corner, but the loss in control sort of negated that for me.

The small Pearly Gates is a fun pick, warm and fast, really nimble.

The Glow Medium Round was a fave, a bit different in tone to the Pearly Gates, maybe a tad brighter, but I dug it. I consider those two interchangeable picks.

Group 5: Diamond: Rounded, Pointed, and Unbuffed
I liked the Diamonds very much (no surprise as they are a combo of mando-style and the big stubby I used as a kid)—smooth feel from string to string, big fat tone, but a bit chirpy. I definitely had no use whatsoever for the unbuffed one—I guess it's ok for dirt, but for my purposes it's unusable on cleans.

Group 6: Dimension & Dimension Jr, Buffed & Unbuffed
Let's skip to the buffed ones; The Dimension picks are interesting—they have are a bit edgier than the Diamond or the Bb (see next), which was fun. I guess I prefer a warmer pick for everyday use, and making things brighter with my RH attack and position. The rounded corner of the Dimensions, for me was not the same feel or tone as the Diamond though—way chirpier and less pretty.

Group 7: Bb, Buffed and Unbuffed, and unbuffed Snake.
The Buffed Bb was one of my overall favorites. Warmer than the Diamond, still chirpy, but the gain in warmth and smoothness of transition was worth it in my opinion. The unbuffed one I didn't like (surprise).

The Snake is an interesting one, and one of the few (if not the only) unbuffed pick I liked. It was fun to just rip with a lot of gain, pretending I could shred—but again in real life, with my constant dirt/clean switching, it would be unusable. I did like its feel very much—I should investigate its buffed relatives.

Group 8: Psycho; Big Fattie; Insanity (unbuffed); and Colossal
These were the surprises—I never thought I could use pics that are so large. Well, I was wrong.

I was also surprised at the difference (sometimes a counter-intuitive one) between models. My favorite was the Big Fattie—warmest, most lush sound of all, and very comfortable due to the relaxed grip it encourages. Of course, the more relaxed the grip, the more the pick "chirps" against the string, but overall this was a very positive surprise and one I will definitely order and use. Super smooth feel on the strings, too.

The Psycho was very similar, but a bit brighter, which in comparison I didn't care for.

The Unbuffed Colossal was not a contender because the unbuffed edges are exacerbated by the sheer area they cover. The scraping sound on the strings was definitely not something I'm interested in.

The Insanity, well, what can you say. I'd like to have one just to freak my friends out, and as a practice tool to lighten my grip. It sounds really good, although—surprisingly—not as warm as the Big Fattie—at least not in my hands. It also could make for a passable impromptu slide/tone bar, if you're so inclined.

Groups 9 and 10: the Misfits. Onyx (4x), Bing Lite, Shredder, and Duet.

I really didn't care for ANY of these pics at all. I blame the bevels (or lack thereof—some have wall-like edges), and the long points, which made them all feel like paddles rather than picks. I guess I could use one to get through a gig, but most likely I would just drop it and use my fingers. Sorry, my bad, not for me.

The Duet was interesting in a cute sort of way, and you could get a bit of an out-of-phase or cocked wah sound by strumming at an angle....but really, not something I'd use or even like to have in the pick bowl.

Speaking of bowls...here's a healthy serving of V-Pick Cereals!

picks1.jpg

redeyeflight

First off a big thank you to wondergussy for sending out his picks for the tourbox...realy cool of you sir! I've been a dunlop 208 pick user for as log as I can remember so all the v picks went up against that (as well as a few real tortoise picks I have) and I decided to pretty much exclusively use my 1932 gibson L-10 archtop, which is a bright guitar that really responds differently to picks. I'd say all of the v picks sounded brighter than my old standard 208, with a bit more edge if you will. My two favorites being the glow in the dark pick (not sure the model on that one?) and the small pointed and pointed 2.75mm. Both were a great, slghtly brighter subsitute to my 208 dunlop. They had more weight than the real tortoise and a slightly harser sound but they actually stacked up pretty well I thought! I also really liked the euro model with the holes in it...cool feel and great sound in that one.
Now I like a thick pick, dont get me wrong! The 208 is at least 2mm but most of the v picks I found too thick to really be useful at least for my playing style. The giant collosal and insanity picks were actually really fun...but comepletely unuseable! I did show them to a few guitar buddies and we all had a great time trying to play with them.
Anyways, to sum up I think V picks are great for anyone whos looking for a thicker pick that still has some brightness and edge to it. If you like a REALLY thick pick the v pick can deliver as well. Overall I'd really like to get whatever the glow in the dark model was...could someone let me know that model?
Thanks again!!

Zim

Man, this is too cool. Not sure I'll be able to add much when my turn comes around, but it sure will be fun to try!

Suarkttam

Silver Supporting Member
Man, this is too cool. Not sure I'll be able to add much when my turn comes around, but it sure will be fun to try!

I was just thinking the same thing. When my turn comes what else could possibly be said. I like the idea of comparing it to what ever you currently use. At least that gives a bit of perspective.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
For those not sure what they can add, it's simple: your preferences and personal experience! We've already seen some people preferring one type and not liking another at all, and the next person having almost the opposite experience. So, just wait and see what you find and then report out. Honesty is number one.

cosmic_ape

Resident Lefty of Doom
Silver Supporting Member
I received my new V-picks last week. The Venom is here to stay!

Thanks, Wundergussy for the enlightening opportunity!

Suarkttam

Silver Supporting Member
Over a month since the last post...where are we at with this? (also posted in the original tour box thread just to check in)

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
The box had a hiccup. All should be good; I have heard from the current guy (he got it within the week).

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
No stress...it's just a box of picks...everything will be just fine...I am sure.

Yeah, but if this thing disappears I am out close to $200 in picks. I know the holidays are a busy time, and maybe I am overly anal about this, but... well I'll leave it at that.

Suarkttam

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, but if this thing disappears I am out close to $200 in picks. I know the holidays are a busy time, and maybe I am overly anal about this, but... well I'll leave it at that.

No, no...you're right...was just trying to soften the blow a little...hope it all works out.

xntrick

I don't see a SCREAMER JR on the Vpick website, which model did he mistake that one for?

This is such a great idea!

Quick question, what was the learning curve like for y'all going from a more standard sized pick to a v-pick? I'm currently using a .73mm ultex by dunlop, will it feel really odd at first (making the switch) or are they that good?

btw I'd probably start off with something like the screamer.

xntrick

This is such a great idea!

Quick question, what was the learning curve like for y'all going from a more standard sized pick to a v-pick? I'm currently using a .73mm ultex by dunlop, will it feel really odd at first (making the switch) or are they that good?

btw I'd probably start off with something like the screamer.

As much as I like the screamer, I was very surprised how well the "lite tradition" feels. So much like a standard Fender pick but this one sticks to your fingers.

Suarkttam

Silver Supporting Member
I want to say that I have sent the picks on to the next person, and will have a synopsis of my feelings about them very soon. Suffice to say, I was very surprised which ones I took to...and a very special thank you to wundergussy for arranging this.

thetangmang

Got the box a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to try them all out yet. I tried out a few I have been dying to try out and I have some favorites and some surprises already!

Just wanted to give this thread a bump...Wundergussy's threads have been a huge help - I placed my first V-Pick order yesterday (jazz sampler, freakishly large rounded, medium rounded, diamond) and I probably never would have been able to decide without getting the general opinions that are in this thread.

So thanks and good luck with the rest of the tourbox...I'm looking forward to the next review.

Top Bottom