VSTs - any love? Question within.

JonSick

Looking for a new softsynth or virtual instrument.

Sound wise, mainly looking for pads, things to create background melodies with, etc. I am making backing tracks for my metal band. I have Omnisphere which is excellent, it takes care of all my noisy needs. I have my old Akai S3000 which I use to mangle my own samples. Noise-wise I'm sorted. So I'm looking for something a little "nicer" and something to maybe let me take the S3000 out of the equation. It's a little old and thinking that having a soft-sampler would be so nice and easy as well as freeing up two ports on my audio interface.

The few on my list revolve around Native Instruments Kontakt so considering the standard version of Komplete. But having had Reason way back in the day (2002) or so, I remember that being pretty good. Lord knows where my disks are anymore, so it would be buying a new version.

As for sounds, think along the lines of Rabbit Junk, Birthday Massacre, Pain, etc.

Am I looking in the right direction? With reference to Komplete, anybody own the standard version who wishes they had bought the Ultimate version? I liked the sound demos of NI Razor but it's only in the Ultimate version. It's a lot of extra cash and while the extras that Ultimate has look nice, I'm not sure I'd use it all. The piano and orchestral sounds I probably would but not for a while and even then not all that much.

nb - I buy my software, no pirating.

AndrewC

Socially Distant Member
Gold Supporting Member
Many of the libraries for Kontakt don't require the full version, so you can run them using the free Kontakt Player. Heavyocity Gravity and the add-on packs (which don't require the full Gravity) are excellent for pads and will run standalone with Kontakt Player.

What do you feel is missing from Omnisphere? If you have version 2, there are over 12,000 sounds! It's normally my first stop when I'm looking for sounds.

btw I've had Komplete Ultimate since version 8 but I don't use 90% of the stuff in there.

rsm

I have Komplete, not ultimate, and several other software synths more than enough for now...I may eventually get ultimate, and Omnisphere if/when I feel the need.

chlorinemist

I really dislike using Kontakt. It is the most widely adopted platform so unfortunately I have to use it for certain sounds but I avoid it whenever I can. The GUI, stability and loading/filesorting behavior of the software are all awful IMO. I much prefer using Ableton Live's "packs" and built in sampler devices for my sampling needs. For example, stacking sounds via the "Instrument Racks", and routing parallel FX with the Effect Racks is incredibly intuitive. Live provides a far, far, far smoother workflow, is extremely fast and stable, and is a much more comprehensive platform than Komplete, due to the fact that Live is full-blown DAW.

Devnor

I bought the standard version of Komplete then later on upgraded to ultimate when it went on sale. I only needed the full version Kontakt but the narrow price difference between the 2 products was not that much (at that time). The better libraries, especially the ones with articulations do require the full version. For pad sounds, Omnisphere 2 is probably the way to go but there's plenty other options out there including Diva or Jupiter 8V.

fitzo

Gold Supporting Member
I'd do some research before I popped for Kontakt right now. Seems the latest version (5.6.5) is giving some folks headaches, especially inside Logic X.

Astronaut FX

Silver Supporting Member
U-he makes some really nice soft synths. Diva and Zebra are their best IMO. Diva is a resource hog, so you'll need a pretty powerful computer to run it without frustration. Zebra is all over Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight trilogy scores.

Travst

I have Komplete as well as the Arturia series and like both. I also have a few others like Predator 2. There's a lot out there to choose from and some really excellent apps.

JonSick

Thanks for the responses!

I've used Omnisphere a lot and love it. I actually upgraded from Atmosphere from years back. There are more than enough sounds to be adventurous with. I guess really I'm looking for a new flavor as I've used Omnisphere a lot. And I mean a lot!

Now I've had another weekend of writing, my main goal is to swap out the Akai S3000. It's done me well but I could really use getting the desk space back. Finding 3.5" floppies for it is getting a pain (I know I can install an HD but I'd rather invest in something simpler and without that PITA small LCD) and I do most of my sampling onto a Zoom recorder. It's a little annoying having to convert the WAVs on the PC to Akai format, spinning them off using a USB floppy drive and then taking it to the Akai. I'm sure there's a "better" way but this is reliable enough.

As for CPU, I have the latest and greatest. I develop software so need a proper machine at home. So I'm not too worried about anything being a CPU hog.

I didn't think of Arturia! I'll check that out too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom