VVT X Model amp - Opinions needed

bickertfan

Anybody have an opinion on these amps? They seem like a contender for a reasonably priced ODS type. Has anyone compared them to the more well known Ceriatone or Brown Note?

Bigtone

bickertfan, I think there a great value, good cleans and with the hrm you can
get some very cool OD's,
Havn't compared them to Ceriatone or Brownnote, but compared to two rocks,
they are not heavy hitters, but then neither is the price,

Probably the best "value" going!

Bigtone

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I have the X-40 and like this amp probably more than any amp I've had in the past 10 yrs, and I've had a lot of the d-style amps, though neither Ceriatone or BN. The way Tony tuned it for me (HRM), I get great low volume d-type lead tones and lush cleans. I have the combo with a Cel 1265, recent vintage. I run my ME70 in the loop using a Boss LS2 interface (d-lator on the cheap). I got to play it at stage volume for the first time last week and it was thrilling. It's a very quiet amp (power supply hiss and hum), which I appreciate. I can't say it's better or not compared to the TRocks and Fuchs amps I've had. It just works well for me and has that magic thing going where a note can go from subtle clean to throaty violin singing lead with pick dynamics or guitar volume pot. The boost works perfectly for my needs. It's not a pure eq defeat, but more of a mid boost/gain that gives the notes extra punch and chewiness. It's a small amp in a light chassis and combo cab, making it a great grab and go. Somehow these guys nailed the tone for an incredibly reasonable price. I don't think I've ever been more satisfied with an amp purchase, out of the box. I was impressed with the reviews I got from Barry W (frankenstrat2) and Mark (fullerplast), both of whom KNOW tone. For my ears (admittedly beat up a bit), I'm getting 'Tag tones' that make me smile and leave me wanting nothing. But I also know that we all hear different things with amps and what makes one guy happy, might not be the other guy's cup of tea.

jon

bickertfan

Thanks Bigtone and Bluesdoc. So this is an HRM only. The reason I was looking for comparisons to Ceriatone and Brown Note is because there are clips of those amps around and they both sound very good to me.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Either HRM or nonHRM. They can build 'to suit'. Tony is extremely accessible with very short build times.

jon

bickertfan

Bump for any more info on these. An inexpensive d style amp must draw a fair bit of interest from these parts.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
It might if it cost 2-3X as much as it does......:stir:dunno It seems like a best kept (non) secret....

jon

bickertfan

Part of the appeal of these to me is the cost and also that they look unassuming. I couldn't imagine taking some velvet covered high priced piece to some of the places |I frequent.

bickertfan

Just an update to what I've been able to gather from another member here about these amps: They are designed to be economical and portable and therefore have printed circuit boards. The 40 watt head only accepts small bottle 6L6 tubes, the combo has more room and can therefore accept full sized 6L6's. The master volumes work great on them.

A reasonably priced portable D style amp sounds like a great idea to me. The only real challenge to my mind (as with a lot of these style amps) is working around an amp with no reverb and a loop which many believe requires a Dumbleator?

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Just an update to what I've been able to gather from another member here about these amps: They are designed to be economical and portable and therefore have printed circuit boards. The 40 watt head only accepts small bottle 6L6 tubes, the combo has more room and can therefore accept full sized 6L6's. The master volumes work great on them.

A reasonably priced portable D style amp sounds like a great idea to me. The only real challenge to my mind (as with a lot of these style amps) is working around an amp with no reverb and a loop which many believe requires a Dumbleator?
I've got one on the way... Frankenstrat is selling off a bunch of nice/rare amps and this was amongst them. Haven't decided what to do about reverb yet... I typically use some reverb but can live without too. Maybe just try a pedal and see how it sounds? I was thinking maybe a smidgen of echo would work as well or better. But I guess I'd still need to decide if I need some sort of dumbleator. And if so which one. Time to start searching for "*ator" in the various dumbley threads huh? Or maybe just call the guys at VVT. I'm getting it used and don't want to impose on them since they aren't really benefiting from the sale but I'd be interested in their opinion since I gather they have pretty great ears.

All in all though I'm happy to be getting what by all accounts I've seen is a great sounding amp, and I think coming up with some verb or echo is probably doable for reasonable dough.

I'll chime in here with real world opinions after I've had a while with it. I've had a couple Fuchs mods so I have at least a basic grasp of the territory.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I played one and it was a very nice sounding amp. Really nice cleans and thick crunch tones. If you are interested in one I know a local guy (here in Canada) who is selling one x-22 for an awesome price. PM me if you want more info.

bickertfan

Thanks Pickslide - I've heard that the cleans on these are good. I already have a DRRI so I have a low powered clean machine so I'm more interested in the 40 watt combo. I'd love to hear more clips of these.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
. The only real challenge to my mind (as with a lot of these style amps) is working around an amp with no reverb and a loop which many believe requires a Dumbleator?
As I said before, I used a very inexpensive Boss LS2 as a 'd-lator' interface, but recently forgot to bring it to band practice and just ran my ME70 in the loop without it. It seemed to work just fine. I suppose it all depends on exactly what you're putting in the loop, whether you need an interface. The ME70 levels and impedance must be compatible with the X-40's loop. Sweet :)

jon

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Have any of you emailed the VVT folks at the contact address on their web page and, if so, did they reply to you?

dsimms

I tried the X model out at the Nashville amp show last year after hearing Jack Pearson play a 335 through it at the Saturday nite jam there. He's one of those guitarist that could make nearly anything sound good. His slide playing and tone were incredible. He said everything was straight from the guitar to the amp with no pedals. That's a lot of bang for the buck for an ODS style amp. I was surprised at the low price - I'm sure the PCBs help with that.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Have any of you emailed the VVT folks at the contact address on their web page and, if so, did they reply to you?
I have lots of emails back and forth with Tony. I think the recent storms slowed them down a bit and Tony is gone at the moment.

jon

donnievaz

Jon,

Tony's out of town, not sure about Jim. I'll look into the mail situation. Meanwhile, is there something I can help you with?

bobcs71

I didn't see the current price list on the VVT site. The OP was concerned about the clean sound. Are there any good clips of that?

Trending Topics