VVT X22 "Dumble" for Fender SFSR Amp Trade advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sirnabecelot, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sirnabecelot

sirnabecelot Member

Hey all,
    Advice.......I have a '73 Fender Super Reverb with all the "good stuff" from the blackface era. I recently got a Mesa Mark iib simulclass which I am loving. I'm looking at a possible trade of my Super for a VVT X22 head. I would get $200 cash plus the VVT. Any thoughts? I like the super, but it's big and most applications I don't need a big 4x10. I've been enjoying the "spank" and clarity of my Mesa 1x12 EVM12L. I've never done the head/cab thing. Would like the idea of a small head.

I've never played a D-style amp. What will it feel like compared to my Fender & Mesa? I plan on trying it on the EVM in my Mesa and searching out a good cab later if I end up doing the trade.

Thoughts.....comments.....advice......

2. cyrja

cyrja Supporting Member

I'm shooting from the hip since I've heard the VVT 44, not the 22 or Boogie. First off, that may be too much speaker for a 22watt. I'd do a celestion 12-65. I love d style amps and the VVT sounds good but not as "spongy" as your FSR. You won't need OD pedals, I'll tell you that.

3. sirnabecelot

sirnabecelot Member

Thanks for the reply!

So would you say that's a "fair" trade?

Do you mean I won't need OD pedals because of the quality/versatile of OD within the amp?

4. cyrja

cyrja Supporting Member

I'd say the $200+VVT (I'd say this is a 650-750) amp is fair for your 73 FSR.

Yep. I use a clean boost with my d-style and that's it

5. Lance

Lance Member

I'll get back to you as soon as I get my X-40 head. It'll be here the 11th. Haven't had a NAD since I bought my little Tweaker 15 head. Those Jack Pearson vid clips make it sound like a little fire-breather!

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I had a VVT22 for a short while ( bought it brand new). While the builder is a great, great guy, and the amp can get a bit "D-ish", the cleans were a big disappointment for me. So my advice is that if you depend on the Super for your cleans, you may be underwhelmed with the trade.

7. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

He was playing through my EVM-12L loaded Theile cab in those clips. :) The EVM will be fine with the X22. That's not to say that the 65 wouldn't sound sweet, I know it would.

You're gonna love your new X-40!

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I agree, the cleans are not par with other D style amps... And won't be as good as your Super.... But I love the OD on the VVT 40, and the cleans aren't flat or boring, just don't expect glaswerks or Bludo cleans.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Just thought I'd reply about the cleans.... I stumbled on a great clean by rolling down the volume on the dirty channel.... I mean *REALLY* good. Total SRV.... my only niggle is that while the feel is nice and loose for leads, it's not as tight as I'd like for SRV heavy handed comping...