VW TDI mileage, performance if legal?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tiktok, Apr 22, 2016.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Has anyone ever reported what the mileage and performance would be on the affected VW TDI models if the software was brought into compliance?

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I thought the issue was power v. efficiency, so if it was corrected and brought into compliance, it could achieve the advertised efficiency, but would lose power.

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

4. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I dunno but my mother in law's TDI runs like a bat out of hell.
    Unless the stupid exhaust system is busted again. The one time extended warranties paid off lol. EPA has diesels so stuffed up they don't work half the time.

5. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Not sure but my buddy tows a 21 foot boat with a tiny little Golf and gets great gas mileage. I think his model is older than the controversial ones

6. dave-o

dave-o Member

No but I assume it will be significant. I have a 2013 sport wagon, get 40 mpg most of the time. I heard they are going to offer a buy back or fix.

I had an 06 Jetta with 280,000 miles that I traded on the 13. The 06 got between 45 and 50 mpg. I thought the lesser mpg on the 2013 was because of it being a clean diesel. Apperantly not :).

I do really like the 2013, lots of power and torque, the DSG transmission shifts smooth as silk. Plus I can fit a 4x12 cab in the back!

I may opt for the buy out and buy a beater so I don't have a car payment.

7. RJLII

RJLII Member

It will depend on the year of the car. The older versions will reportedly require significant mods to comply. The newer versions could be as simple as a reflash of the controller. I have a 2013 Ragtop Bug tdi. It was reflashed once a couple years ago and fuel economy was unchanged (avg 40 with top up, 38 with top down). We bought it as a fun car and never really planned on selling it. I don't care one lick about the emissions nonsense, as when you get into the weeds you'll find it's insignificant. In any case, we'll see what VeeDub come up with as far as compensation. They've already given us a $500 "use anywhere" gift card and a $500 dealership credit for service, swag, etc.. Rumor has it they'll be offering up to $5K compensation to folks with the second generation product.

dave-o - I don't expect buyouts being offered on anything except the older ones that would require the installation of Urea injection systems or significant mechanical mods. 2013 and newer probably won't qualify. They'll get bought up and resold in Central America.

dave-o likes this.
  8. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

That's because the TDI's are torque masters.

To the OP, I don't think mileage will be affected as much as power/performance. Depending on the style of driver this can affect mileage if not adjusted for the decrease in power.

My '09 Jetta TDI usually averaged around 46mpg on trips, I was able to average 52mpg on a 15 mile drive once, but i was trying for mileage.

9. pbmw

pbmw Member

People do stupid stuff....
    That,s right up there.
    I bet that boat and trailer weigh more than the tow vehicle
    Bet it stops safely too.....
    Stupid.

10. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I'm always amazed by the mileage you guys get. 250K miles? I've never known anyone to get those miles out of a car as we'd look to sell long before that, and selling one with over 100K is a hard sell!

Makes me think that we are just too quick to sell.

dave-o likes this.
  11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Always wanted one, but now I wonder if they will pass the state pollution test...? for those that have to do them anyway....?

12. hellbender

hellbender Member

Probably states where they don't test for emissions.

13. dave-o

dave-o Member

I was wondering the same thing about them passing emissions now. If you were not to get the recall fixed it would still have the defeat programming engaged which would make it look like it passes.