vypyr vs crush

dolecekj

Looking for a good amp for a good amount of gain for hard rock. Few years ago I had a Peavey Vypyr and it sounded goo0d for back then....but recently I have discovered the Orange crush, i5t has that great orange high quality hard rock high gain dist6ortion, well it sounds good on youtube but those guys always make it sound good because they want to sell amps. to me it sounds killer but then again you never know what pedals they are using...have any of you used the crush? does it sound good for hard rock? do they have lots of gain like i heard on youtube? I need tom decide because I need to tell my wife which to buy me for Christmas. I'm either looking at the vrpyr with the 12 inch speaker or the crush with the 8 inch speaker or maybe with the 6 inch speaker....is the crush with the 6 inch speaker sound good....which one should i tell my w3ife to get me....if its orange not sure if i can afford much more than the one with the 6 inch speaker...I used to have a yamaha thrx and it had a tiny speaker and it sounded awesome.....is the crush comparable to the heavey distortion of the yamaha.....which do i tell my wife to buy me? Thanks in advance

lang.murphy

I can't comment on the peavey vs orange thing. I will say I would never buy an amp with a speaker smaller than 10". But that's just my personal preference.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Which Vypyr is it? One of the original series, a VIP ...? In my experience, the original series amps were the best (although I have no experience with the most recent, the Vypyr Pro). I have an original series Tube-60 Vypyr - and for being a lower-tier modeler, it excels at what it does.

I have not played through a Crush. Sorry, I cannot help you in comparing them.

I have an original Vypyr 15 and it excels at high gain sounds with zero effort. I got it off CL in brand new condition for $60 last week.
If you are after high gain/hard rock/metal. The vypyr will deliver in spades.

mysticaxe

I had a 30 watt Vypyr combo for a while. Pretty sure it was from the original generation, but it was one of the fully solid state ones. I wasn't all that impressed with the Vypyr for anything more than crystal clean and metal levels of gain. The effects were a bit cheesy and the lack of an FX loop to put my pedals into made me finally sell it.

What about a PODGo and powered monitors? More flexible in that size/volume range and I think it will probably sound better too.

mysticaxe

What about a PODGo and powered monitors? More flexible in that size/volume range and I think it will probably sound better too.
Actually, looking at the price of the POD Go, I would probably spend another $100 and get an HX Stomp. Granted that is triple the price you were talking about...

HomeInMyShoes

Crush versus Vyper are pretty different things. One is a dual-channel solid state amp and the other is modeling. You could check things like a Blackstar ID:CORE as well which is same ballpark for prices as your options. I've got a Fly 3 from Blackstar which is a brilliant little thing for take anywhere playing (runs on batteries.) The quality of that would make me look at the ID:CORE as a good modeling option for higher gain stuff. I think for your application I would be comparing Vyper to ID:CORE.

That said, I like my Crush 35RT a lot, but I don't play high gain. I like both channels, but gain is only dialed in around the 10 - 1 range most of the time on the dirty channel. I actually like it a lot for the clean channel and use a Deco for tape saturation for some grit or a fuzz pedal. It does take pedals really well on the clean channel and the effects loop is brilliant when using the dirty channel for modulation and delay. It does only have a 10" speaker.

I just wanted a plug in and use amp and that is what the Orange is. Simple and to the point. I love that and I like the clean channel a lot and use the dirty channel more than I expected. Here's Dave with the CR20 with an 8" speaker. I'm pretty sure he is using nothing in front of it for pedals and not much post production at that time:

Trending Topics