W.A.S.P 2019

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I like Blackie, but I miss Chris Holmes and Randy Piper.

Both of them are excellent players.

2. viper

viper Member

yeah, he brought in "The Unpredictable" Johnny Rodz on bass for a few years when he switched to guitar.

Oh wait a minute... that would be Johnny Rod

Rodz was a former WWE wrestler. Carry on! ;)

3. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

wow sure enough. So how does this lip synch thing work, i know i heard/saw live vocals in there. Do all of the musicians have to time themselves to the vocal track or is there some Wizard behind the curtain hitting play at the right time? Seems like a lot of room for error. Surely someone on this board has experience behind he scenes.

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

rumbletone likes this.
  5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Playing to a click, sometimes with pre-recorded voice over cues like the IEM mixes for U2. When playing to a playback, any element of the performance can be mimed or played live depending on the song at hand. Hey, if Paul Stanley does it, why not other rock groups?

Bodhisattva likes this.
  6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

He played bass only from 83-85. Before and since he played guitar.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    He’s been playing guitar for quite a while. I remember reading somewhere years ago, where he said he was giving up bass because it was “a tool of ignorance.” Lol, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Oof.

GuitarGuy66 likes this.
  9. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I'll take THE MANIMAL thanks.

GuitarGuy66 likes this.
  10. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Geez...I thought this thread was about this:

11. Zakkary123

Zakkary123 Member

Still annoyed he changed the lyrics on the Crimson Idol re-release. Chainsaw Charlie had some of the most venomous, powerful lyrics I've ever heard and the new versions (changed to avoid swearing now he has been born again Christian) just lose that vibe.

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I always thought they were a pretty solid band.

I'd certainly heard of them, but I got turned onto them during The Last Command tour. Great show. Eventually I 100% preferred the WASP album to The Last Command. It was more of a solid band and less gimmicky.

Back in the day, my punk band even did a sorta version of Hellion.

GuitarGuy66 likes this.
  13. sws1

sws1 Member

I'm taking back my positive comments on his voice...who knows now what's real or not.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Backing tracks an epidemic. Used to be prohibited in the days when the Musicians Union was strong.
    Wasn't that long ago that Milli Vanilli was stripped of a Grammy, but now the fakery standard. Anyone ever hear Janet Jackson sing live? Jennifer Lopez?
    Always thought most rockers had more pride.

freedom's door likes this.
  15. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

I saw them in 1984 on a triple bill (Helix, WASP, Krokus) and again in 1985 when they opened for Iron Maiden. They were great both times, but I haven't really listened to them since Inside the Electric Circus era.

16. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

If they don't do it, audiences will be pissed off at the quality of the performace and will suggest that these aging bands simply quit (which might not be a bad idea, but I digress).

Since there's less money in quitting, these bands soldier on and take their chances that no one gets a peek behind the curtain.

cratz2 and freedom's door like this.
  17. Omega

Omega Member

I'd rather it be lacking, even to the point of terrible, and REAL, rather than have it be spot on and fake.

freedom's door likes this.
  18. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I like the verses more than the chorus, Metal Health by Quiet Riot is the same in that I really like the verses.

19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

You are in the minority. Fans want the Bands to defy aging, defy death, and party like no tomorrow. The Party part is easily handled - fake pot, shirley temples- defy aging comes up as Vocal support which has been going on heavily for the last 50 years. As technology improved - that meant that less hidden vocalist are employed and samplers and DAW playback machines are employed. It also means many musicians are playing to rigid guidelines - and any improvisation moments are planned rather than improvised.

Defying Death is a bit more complicated - taking Tom Petty as an example - for his last 5 years Petty was really sick - he was gobbling Pain Pills - and the few times I saw him backstage before a show - he had two guys (I think they were Nurses) walk him up. Stars like Jagger or McCartney are in strict routines - eating, very little to zero drinking (and only wine if they do imbibe), personal trainers - about 3 hours a day in the Gym and aerobics - strict sleep practices etc... both have had heart problems - and are actually healthier today than they were in their 50s.

cratz2, GuitarGuy66 and Heinz57Pep like this.
  20. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Just picked up Live in the Raw. I was going to just get Harder Faster, but after checking the track list, hell yeah.

The Interceptor likes this.