w/d application: Tech21 Power Engine vs power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dscuyamungue, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

Greetings,

so I'm setting up my first w/d rig and I've been focusing on getting a nice power amp to place after the effects because I've already got a cab nicely loaded and ready for service,,, otherwise I would probably be focusing on the Tech21 Power Engine or an active Atomic Cab.

My question is, how does a comparably priced s.s. power amp stack up against a Power Engine in this kind of application? What are the pros and cons? It's all about sound quality for me, I will not be hauling this stuff around from gig to gig, but if the difference in sound quality is marginal I would go with the power amp,,, I like the idea of ping-ponging 2 cabs from the power amp too,,,

the proposed signal path:

amp > attenuator line out > G-Force > power amp > cab

or

amp > attenuator line out > G-Force > tech 21 Power Engine

Also, is a "premium" power amp much better than an inexpensive s.s. for re-amping the wet signal?

thanks for your help!

2. Blix

Blix Member

When I was setting up my w/d/w rig I was considering the Power Engine, but ruled it out because I want more flexibility in cab choices, so I went with a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp and a couple 1x12's.
    This way I can scale it down to just the amp with a 1x12 if I want to, or go big :) Right now I'm doing w/d with just the two 1x12's and quite happy with it.
    But planning on adding another 1x12 for a reasonably compact w/d/w rig.

3. dscuyamungue

thanks for the input,,, I've got a Rocktron V100 lined up for cheap but I'm not sure what level of "quality" is necessary for re-amping a wet signal. I would like to think this will be enough because the short rack depth of the V100 would fit in my SKB PS100(below). Are the V100 and V300 worlds apart in tonal quality?

another thing I read was interesting, it suggested taking the wet signal and running it into the FX return of a fx loop equipped amplifier and using that as the power amp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Running into another amps effects loop works well. A power amp into a cab also works well. I use our Power Engine for effects as well as slaving an attenuated amp into efx.

You didn't mention what amp you are using. Much of it comes down to how loud you need to be. If you are running the efx cabs 100% wet you don't usually need the same amount of power as the dry amp. As stated above with the Power Engine you are locked into that cab. You can disconnect the speaker and run the Power Engine's power amp to another cab but then you a dragging around an extra speaker for no good reason.

The advantage of the PE is is that it's light and self contained. Also the 3 band EQ is really valuable when running an amps line out into a power section. When I use another amps effects return or a separate power amp it usually sounds best when I run the line out into an EQ before the power amp.

5. dscuyamungue

Thanks, very useful stuff. I'm going to use a Weber Mass 100 to create the line out and it has EQ knobs on it,,, I will have to research it and find out if the EQ knobs adjust the line level signal and not just the speaker out signal... of course this is between Amp1 and the effects instead of the effects and amp2.

I plan on using this with a Carol Ann OD2r or a Morgan AC20 Deluxe,,, maybe use a Carr Slant 6V as the power amp...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

That's a cool attenuator. From what I read it looks like the tone controls are for the line out which is a cool feature. It shouldn't matter whether you EQ before the efx or after. The PE does have active EQ which can be more flexible than passive EQ. It depends on the amp. I have some amps that I run into my THD Hotplate set for load and then work well with very little post EQ. When running into an amp like the Power Engine or a solid state power amp, those amps are fairly flat response. When you run into the efx loop of another guitar amp that amp usually has a negative feedback loop and is not flat response. Just experiment.

I'm not sure if the Carr has an efx loop. If you go into the front end you will have to try to set the EQ section as flat as possible otherwise the sound will probably be somewhat "fizzy."