W/D/W mixer question

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Probably a dumb question, but…

I’m running a w/d/w setup for my home rig. I take a line out from my amp to a Rane SM26s, which I’m using as a splitter, to feed 3 effects units, which are then returned to a Samson SM10 mixer, out of that to a stereo power amp/wet cabs.

If I want to mix in some dry with my effects (which are all 100% wet in parallel) do I use a balanced Y cable from one output of the Rane into the L/R inputs on a remaining channel on the Samson? Then use the Samson’s channel to dial up how much I want? Or am I way off haha?

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
With a Musicomlab Parallelizer you could replace both your mixers and do the same thing, with added switchable dry.

I have one, and it does work well, but I wanted everything mounted in the rack so I’m trying it this way now.

Stone Driver

Gold Supporting Member
Probably a dumb question, but…

I’m running a w/d/w setup for my home rig. I take a line out from my amp to a Rane SM26s, which I’m using as a splitter, to feed 3 effects units, which are then returned to a Samson SM10 mixer, out of that to a stereo power amp/wet cabs.

If I want to mix in some dry with my effects (which are all 100% wet in parallel) do I use a balanced Y cable from one output of the Rane into the L/R inputs on a remaining channel on the Samson? Then use the Samson’s channel to dial up how much I want? Or am I way off haha?
That sounds right to me. Tap a fourth output of the Rane into the Samson SM10, and use that "dry" Samson input to dial in any dry tones you want with the wet ones in parallel. I personally don't like any "dry" in my wet, but your preferences may vary :)

Good luck with it!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
That sounds right to me. Tap a fourth output of the Rane into the Samson SM10, and use that "dry" Samson input to dial in any dry tones you want with the wet ones in parallel. I personally don't like any "dry" in my wet, but your preferences may vary :)

Good luck with it!

Thanks. I usually don’t care to have any dry in there either, but I want to experiment more

Very nice!
I have a W/D/W set up using 3 Friedman amps;

>Pedalboard to Fulltone Truepath (A/B box) to BE50 (direct signal) And JJ JR with Eventide Eclipse in effects loop, Eclipse outputs sent to JJ Jr & Runt effects return. I get the benefit of stereo using two amps for effects.

I'd recommend streamlining your effects as you have a wealth of choices. Imho your Yamaha is out classed and will reduce the dynamic range of your whole effects chain. If you must use the 80 & TC together, which I wouldn't blame you lol, I'd get a simpler but high end mixer for those two devices. I think A Designs has a unit that may work;

You may be surprised how killer your setup could sound if you used just the TC unit in your loop, simplifying your signal flow, and the TC has outrageous dynamic range. Even the PCM80 in a little long-in-tooth but the TC's specs transcend time...

Gone Fission

The ATTY is great at what it does but it’s not a mixer—it’s a passive dual attenuator with a single ganged control.

IME an 80 run full wet in parallel with an analog dry path should be able to keep up with the dynamic range of about any electric guitar amp.

Ole Tin Ear

Interestingly enough I do the opposite of the OP's scenario with a footswitch that selects between two 1/4" TRS inputs. One is the dry amp feed and one is a Y split off of one of my wet channels.
When I select the wet input I get 100% wet in all cabinets. This is great for ambient and reverse delay/reverb effects where I want complete immersion.
I select the dry input when I want the typical W/D/W configuration.
I don't do dry in the wets.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom