W.E.B. Griffin and Audible... A match made in Heaven..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Srvwannab, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I just finished "The Brotherhood of War" series on Audible by W.E.B. Griffin. I can't even tell you how much fun I've had with Craig Lowell, Sandy Felter and the gang.

"The Lieutenants" is the first novel, and for a WEB Griffin book, it actually starts pretty slow. The guy might be my favorite author of all time. When you combine that with the narrator (Eric Dove) and you have tens of hours of expert story telling. Compelling characters, easily the best dialogue written that I have ever read (frankly, it makes listening to or reading a Baldacci novel just painful...)and wonderful stories of our men in service.

It takes the characters from the end of WWII up through Vietnam. What a wonderful series.

When I'm asked what my favorite series of his is, it is usually the one I just finished. You can't go wrong with "The Corps" series either. So good.

Here's the disclaimer... if you just want the facts, they might not work for you. He will talk about cultural aspects of military life (I have no military experience, but from reviews I have read, he seems to capture it very well) that might seem like minutia to some.

If you spend a fair amount of time in the car, check out Audible. Great company, great support, great product. Then, give WEB Griffin a shot.

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I muddled through the "Presidential Series".....by the 7th book, I was praying that the "hero" Charlie Castillo would catch a bullet. I won't buy the 8th.

To anyone who has read them all, Is "The Brotherhood" series any better?

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Brotherhood of War, and the Corp are pretty good. The others, not so much.

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Both of these are his best, and I also like the Honor Bound series and the Badge of Honor series. Both of the latter suffer when his son/co-author got involved. Avoid any with his son.

I've probably read each of the first series a dozen times. I just like the way the man tells a story.

5. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Castillo caught a bullet in an earlier one. After I read the drivel published in the last book, I was hoping a certain co-author caught a bullet.

6. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

Well put, IMO.

Different series' have different peaks and valleys. Some start strong and then drag (Presidential Agent...) other start slow and get better (Brotherhood of War)- and some are pretty consistently great.

I really like the "The badge of honor" series and I'm going to be starting those (again) next.

7. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Just don't play the "drink when anyone in the book drinks" game.