Wacky 1960's guitars... What if they built them now with PRS quality?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by standard24, Jul 21, 2019.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

I like the screwball shapes and "over the top" styling and switching that came on some 1960's guitars.

I got a new Phantom guitar from Jack Charles at Phantom Guitars. I flat out loved the shape and look, but it just wasn't a very good guitar. I swapped out the neck with a fine MIJ Strat neck which diminished the look, but did make it play better, but it still wasn't a really good instrument. It had to go.

[​IMG]

After seeing PLX's "Tal Wilkenfeld" video where the guitar player was using a space-age looking Goya Rangemaster, the idea came back to me about building these wacky guitars again, but with really high quality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess the closest thing made today is the EBMM Albert Lee model... First quality construction/tone, plus The Jetsons styling. They did a good job with this one!

[​IMG]

I understand that Eastwood and Jerry Jones reproduce some iconic guitars with modern playability and tone, and that there really isn't a big market for these... (Heck we guitar players get upset if they change the headstock logo!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it would be fun to go into a guitar store and have all these crazy styles in way-out colors available again. And to have them play and sound as good as a high end Strat or a PRS DGT would be great!

Hexum and fretless like this.
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

There was a time when a Vox with scads of pickups and switches and zoomy styling appealed to me, and a Jaguar 'looked' like the coolest of guitars but after decades of playing I've sorted out wacky from working but still like weird if there are not compromises.
    Another butterscotch Tele is the last thing the guitar world needs, but they do work.
    I'm in for variety.
    OTOH, I largely sound the same no matter what.

3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Burns done beat you too it and great quality.

[​IMG]

Hexum and derekd like this.
  4. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Teisco has too. But no one buys them. Clearly not wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frankencat and westmike like this.
  5. standard24

standard24 Member

Well good! My friend had an original Bison, and while it was built like a Rolls Royce, it didn't sound or play that great. (It was as heavy as a Rolls too!) I guess they know what they have to do to compete in today's market. That one looks awesome! (I especially like the twin bars slanted across the tailpiece!)

The Ibanez Talmans were pretty cool looking. The Peavey "Wiggy" amps too.

6. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

Walsh Guitars loves some of the old quirky designs made really well today

Hexum likes this.
  7. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

DiPinto makes some very cool retro guitars. I have a Galaxie model, a rare one with two funky humbuckers and not the single coils. Not PRS quality but well made.

Baxtercat likes this.
  8. standard24

standard24 Member

I'd never heard of them, but their website shows some very cool designs... Metalflake finishes with single-ply pickguards. Actually the coolest designs were only partial photos...

[​IMG]

Hexum likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Member

Pete @Malinoski has been reconditioning these lately and getting them ready to gig.

frankencat, Okra and SgMaster like this.
  10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Ron Thorn and WayneM like this.
  11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Jerry Jones made very good guitars that were of course based on Danelectros, but stopped making them in 2011. He simply retired, closed shop, and sold off his equipment. They're out there though.

Benz2112 likes this.
  12. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Danelectro and Hagstrom are probably the closest (IMO) to making modern really cool 60s style guitars that are actually playable. Im sure there are others but those are the ones that come to mind right away.

13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Damn prs
    People want good playing and looking guitars

14. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

15. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

16. Kajtor

Kajtor Member

I owned a teisco del Rey about 5 years ago for a short while, it wasn’t great but it was an oddball. Sold it in a time of need. Always wondered where it went. Not mine but looks almost identical.

17. Halo of Convenience

Halo of Convenience Member

I had a Teisco from the 60’s because it was interesting. It was a real piece of crap as far as a guitar went. It’d be cool if they were made to be nice guitars and not toys.

Kajtor and standard24 like this.
  18. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

The crappiness of a lot of lower tier vintage stuff is what makes it fun.

The bizarre hardware, funky pickups and questionable playability means you have to work around the guitar's "eccentricities", which will usually result in far more interesting playing and sounds.

Compared to even a modern Squier, this thing plays like a complete dog, but the sound it produces is incredible.

The modern Supros might play better but they just feel and sound like any other mid level Asian made guitar....

[​IMG]

hitchcockblonde likes this.
  19. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

20. jvin248

jvin248 Member

There are players who whine when Gibson tries to change the headstock so it doesn't break...
    Paul at PRS made the comment that their biggest selling models are the LP and Strat copies.
    I have seen more acceptance in the 'offset guitar' fans for the different vintage guitar models.
    Definitely a niche market.

Having bought a 1963 Teisco Tulip project, the key issues were frets and setups. Once those are done right they operate much better, just like any modern starter guitar today -- a $100 fret level job makes them play like $1,000 instruments.

That Teisco Tulip I revitalized, including stainless steel frets, weighs 5.5lbs and the pickups sound like a Jazzmaster.

[​IMG]