Wages in US guitar factories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossanova

Silver Supporting Member
so, who here knows how much workers at Fender, Gibson factories are making these days? Both standard production and custom shops? Are they union?

I know that PRS in MD, people can start around $15/$16 per hour, for a general line job, like sanding, etc.

Curious, who’s got the 411?

so, who here knows how much workers at Fender, Gibson factories are making these days? Both standard production and custom shops? Are they union?

I know that PRS in MD, people can start around $15/$16 per hour, for a general line job, like sanding, etc.

Curious, who’s got the 411?
I know it's a truth but it absolutely boggles my mind that the people that make these guitars make such a tiny wage. I don't even know how people can survive off that.

I know it's a truth but it absolutely boggles my mind that the people that make these guitars make such a tiny wage. I don't even know how people can survive off that.
They don’t.

They have to get what is commonly called a side hustle, like driving for Uber/lyft.
Sad that even semi-skilled labor can’t make a living wage now-a-days.

Guitarworks

To the best of my knowledge, there is little to no organized labor in the guitar industry, and no one who works at Gibson or Fender or PRS or whomever, belongs to any union. Especially considering they all need to compete with Chinese labor.

Droptopandy

Supporting Member
I remember when I was 19 back in 1989 I worked at Kramer and made just a little more than minimum wage. Back then minimum wage was like $5.75 an hour, or something like that. I remember thinking, ok it's cool I'm around guitars all day but this sucks! I quit and made more money at some crappy restaurant at the time and actual girls worked at the restaurant which made it fun. A few of the older guys at Kramer were your typical Curmudgeons who hated anything that came out past 1974. They also hated the actual Kramer guitars, if it was "take your guitar to work day" they'd all bring strats and teles in. I remember one older guy referring to Kramers as "stupid satellite headstock BS hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.