Wagner SR owners...Chime in

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Feb 20, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i found a set of SR's for my ' 67 strat and cant wait to try them. i was originally going with Lollar Blondes, but LeonC's SR clips sold me on the Wagners. the chime and woodiness is what floored me matter of fact, i was listening to '' Are You Experienced '' LP on the way to rehearsal, and the SR's sound really close to Jimi's clean tone. Jimi's pups sounded a bit darker to me(could be the JTM-45/100). im psyched about getting these pups!

any WCR SR owners want to share their experiences or love for the SR's?

2. alderbody

alderbody Member

You'll need at least 300K pots for them. (needless to mention RS kits...)
    This way they "open up" as Jim says.
    Jimi's and Stevie's tone is very easy to get with them.
    along with many others.

I believe your Strat will adore them.

And a tip:
    Last night i replaced the braided output wire (from Vol pot to jack) because the capacitance which is created by the shielding steals off some useful highs IMHO. The result was rewarding.
    Also, for my setup, i think the .022uF tone cap is better than the .047uF,
    if you plan to install an RS kit.

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

for now im just using stock 250k, the SR's set me back so no RS kit right now.

in a SR thread, LeonC mentioned he used stock 250k pots, and his clips sound killer so im good for now.:cool:

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Best Strat pickups ever. That's a pretty darn bold statement, but I've owned and played so many Strats of every persuasion that I've got a pretty good handle on what works. Once you get into this elite company, which includes things like Suhr V60LPs and Jason Lollars stuff (and the thirty other guys who will chime in here with their own picks), they all sound great. The SRs are the only pickups to ever out-do my old '62 Strat, which for the last 25 years had been my benchmark for Strat Tone. Creamy, fat with no mud, a really useable bridge pickup, and the quietest singles I've ever played. I too started with 250K pots, but couldn't believe the difference 300Ks made. Don't bother spending the money for the pickups without changing the electronics. Yeah, they're that important.
    Mine aren't going anywhere!-Eric

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I don't claim to know every strat pickup on the planet. I certainly don't. But I've tried maybe 1-2 handfuls and these SRs are my favorites. Definitely. And BTW, I'm jusing Joe Blow[SIZE=-1]™[/SIZE] 250k pots in my strat..that's what you heard on those clips. Sooner or later I'll get around to trying "good" pots, I spose.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I've had a set in my Strat for almost a year now. Great tone, and finally, five usable positions instead of two or three. :D

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Can't beat them for cleans. They play nice with fuzz and OD pedals too.

I wouldn't skimp on the pots - get the RS Guitarworks kit with the Hovland caps. You won't regret it.

8. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I LOVE MINE!!!

Stuck them in my average ole American Standard Strat and now its not so average. Every member of the band commented on my tone the very next rehersal without me telling what I had done. The very well respected Tech I used to install these's and do a fretdress didn't seem to think much of them. I'll admit he done a great fretjob and setup but I now wonder about his ear for TONE!!!

The 2 and 4 positions on these's are magical IMO. The neck is the best I have played. The bridge works best for me with just a little of the highs rolled off with the tone knob.

I will say that these's pups cut through the mix like a CHAINSAW. If your pic attack is sometime's les than steller (like mine) it be will be exposed.
    I feel they forced me to clean up my tecnique and made me a better player while doing so.

Hope this help's. Your milage mey vary:D

9. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I stuck one in the neck of my Jackson SL1. Since it shares the 500k volume and tone pot with the humbucker bridge pup I had to toss a resistor on it to calm it down a bit...and it sounds GREAT!!! Real nice strat like sounds (or as close as you can get to it with a 25 1/2" scale, 24 fret, neck through guitar) in the clean channel of my Bogner which is what I wanted it to do. Just a nice sounding pickup.

10. K-man

K-man Member

Does anyone know if Wagner plans on producing these again in the future?

11. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

:cool:
    OK, I am convinced. But where do I get a set and why did he stop making them? :cool: Thanks.

Wes

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i was convinced when i heard LeonC's clips(awesome clips btw) and read the hundreds of rave reviews. im going to stick with the stock 250k pots for now, BUT eventually i will get the RS kit.:D

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

well, youll be happy to know im getting the RS kit with the SR's.:cool:

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

SR's......GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

I freaking LOVE mine, have since Day 1. Search.... oVeR. :D

15. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Strats are crappy guitars. I suggest you ditch that POS for a real man's instrument, like a Les Paul.

In fact, to help you on your journey to musical manhood, I'll even be so generous as to take those weak, noisy SR single coils off your hands.

I hate you all.:mad:

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

ordered a RS Guitarworks SR pickup kit(300k pots, Hovland Guitarcap) today for my SRs. :AOK

17. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

Jim told me it takes twice as long to hand wind a single coil as it does a humbucker! That's why he doesn't offer them on his site anymore, just not worth the time it takes for him to make them. But if you write him and ask him to make you one...he will. That's what I did. It's expensive though.

18. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I will be matching a SR neck and mid with a (TBD) p90 in my all ash Thorn #151. I can't wait!

Bill

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i cant wait for mine either! :dude

i went ahead and got the whole upgrade kit, the SR Pickup kit prewired mounted pickguard loaded with the SRs. figured might as well, that way i wont have to worry about it later. :D

20. muddy

muddy Member

my sr's are damn spooky, if ya ask me! serious depth in there, they're damn spooky i tell ya! and heavy on body, too, without being dark; the top end sparkles & jangles at the same time. very magical &^ responsive single coils, da best!

ml