1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wah After Distortion/OD/Fuzz, Did Hendrix Really Do This?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

It's always been stamped into my brain that the wah comes first in the FX chain. I was looking in some new guitar mag at Borders yesterday, one that claims more tabs, less talk or something like that, it had Zakk Wylde on the cover. Anyways, they had an article on FX placement and much to my dismay, in the illustration they had, all of the distortion/boost/OD pedals were BEFORE the wah. In the article, it mentions "having the wah after distortion a'la Hendrix..." Did he run his wah after his fuzz pedal? Does anyone else do this? Did Clapton run his wah after his treble booster back in the day? Does anyone else here do that? How's the tone?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Hendrix always ran his wah before his fuzz pedals.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I've always had my wah first, but a few weeks ago I tossed it at the end as I was getting some strange interference as it was. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the tone and am considering a Banzai Switcher so that I can have my wah at the front or the end and the stomp of a single switch.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The wah pedal my act funny, especially if the drive pedals are buffered. That said, I believe at least sometimes he ran his Fuzz Face first (which also prefers to be directly after the guitar).

ColonelForbin likes this.
  5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Actually sometimes he did sometimes he didn't. Personally I like it Before (or I did) the best is to have one on both sides of the Wah.

EC never used a treble booster either. First time he used a pedal on record was "Disraeli Gears". It is thought he used some kind of tone bender on the BBC sessions because of volume issues.

Going back to the Wah; you must try it both ways and use whatever works for you. Whenever anyone says do it this way I reach for my gu.......sorry, I mean I try the opposite...
    Trust this helps!

Best, Pete.

johnetone likes this.
  6. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

There is absolutley not a single pic of Hendrix running his wah after a fuzz.
    As a collector over 35 years, I never saw any picture or footage of Hendrix running that order. If he tried it in the studio, thats a different story, but running a fuzz into a wah is a distinctive sound....one I never heard Jimi make.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

I saw him at the Saville Theatre that way. Admittedly it was early on in his "Experience" career - otherwise I would tend to agree with you.....

Best, Pete.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Pretty sure there's a pic of his gear on the BOG DVD, or video. I'll break it out later and take a look.

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

yep, ive seen it too. btw, i run my wah after fuzz, i prefer the voicing like that. and unlike others i like the oscilliation from silicon fuzzes running before wahs.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm not trying to embarass anyone because I agree that most photos seem to show him with a Wah first.

Hey, I swing both ways! Whatever you need at the time. What I don't like is the thing about you've got to do it this way......too stifling....

Best, Pete.

johnetone likes this.
  11. drolling

drolling Member

I've always preferred the sound of wah before fuzz, but I've run into some problems setting it up that way. With some fuzzes, putting the wah in front yields a high-pitched continuous squeal, similar to the sound you can get whe running two fuzzes in series. The other thing that happens, especially w/octave fuzzes, is the wah effect gets totally smothered by the fuzztone.

I struggled w/this for years, trying to cop an authentic tone for some Hendrix tunes I play (and I've read that Jimi put his fuzz before his wah in more than one guitar mag, too - utter rubbish, as far as I'm concered) and finally arrived at a practical work-around these problems in the form of a booster kit I got from Dave Fox @ FoxRox.

It's some kind of miniature SS preamp that's a pretty straightforward install, and it lets the wah cut thru' the thickest, nastiest octavia/fuzz, no problem.

I can't say Jimi never ran the wah after fuzz - but if he did, it was probably because he was running into the problems I mentioned above. Or maybe other issues - I've seen concert footage where his rig was picking up radio stations loud and clear (my 1st effect, a Colorsound Fuzzwah was very good at that!) and I don't think that was supposed to be part of he show.

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Isle of Wight and Berkeley shows you can clearly hear RF.

13. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

BOG was wah> Octavio> Fuzz Face > Univibe

Woodstock was wah > Fuzz Face> Univibe
    Berkeley was the same

Isle of Wight was Univibe > wah. Fuzz Face
    Rainbow Bridge- same

14. K Randall

K Randall Member

Yes Jimi did mostly use the wah before fuzz-he did change his setup from wah into uni-vibe to using uni-vibe into wah at a few gigs like Costanza says. Running the wah into a Fuzzface(with fuzz control on 10) and pushing the wah footpedal all the way back gets a weird noise-just slightly rolling back the fuzz control on the fazzface from 10-9 takes away the noise-Jimi always seemed to have the wah plugged into the fuzzface!
    I am making a second custom made wah for Randy Hansen and am working on putting out my own wah(in the next couple of months) with hand wound Halo inductor & custom parts to get a very smooth hendrix like wah tone like on Up From The Skies & Voodoo Child-Randy really loves his wah & I look forward to hearing his response on the second one with handwound Halo.:cool:

15. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Kevin, email sent.

16. Creamy

Creamy Member

As mentioned above, wah placement will depend largely on the type of fuzz you have. Most people prefer the wah at the front of their effects chain. Wah after fuzz or distortion will give more of a synth effect, which while cool, is not that versatile. If you have an old school germanium-style fuzz, you are going to get a wild sound no matter where you put your wah. Other distortion pedals, like overdrives, do not effect your signal this way - but also give you a different sound. I understand that Foxrox makes a wah retrofit to address this problem, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people have found.

johnetone likes this.
  17. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, it's more likely that the 'classic' fuzz circuits'll create these problems we've been discussing. Besides the fact that they sound unbelievably good, one simple indicator that you've got an 'old-school' fuzz is the polarity on the DC power jack's reversed. Many of the new boutique fuzzes also need these inverted adaptor jacks - and it's a real pain, because they'll short out everything in the daisy chain if you plug in by mistake. Thankfully, these crude & primative clipping circuits draw very little power compared to the stuff that's full of chips, so I still use 9v batteries in my octavia/fuzz clones.

And getting back to the FoxRox kit booster mentioned earlier in this thread - I definitely hear a slight change in the wah's tone since the install (It guzzles down batteries a lot faster now, too). The change's negligible when I'm running it into a dimed octafuzz, but for everything else, from clean funk rhythm on up to hi-gain blues*rock, I swap out the modded VOX w/a stock Bud wah.

18. alberob

alberob Member

The rule for me is there are no rules .If it sounds good it can't be bad.Find your own voice.Experiment!!!!!:AOK

19. rewog

rewog Member

Is a Wah with a buffer a universal fix, or are there still problems using a Germanium Fuzz Face style pedal.

johnetone likes this.
  20. Creamy

Creamy Member

Rewog, That's the $20,000 question. If the wah retrofit or buffer solves this problem, why aren't they included in the construction (or at least as an option) with new wah pedals? Drolling mentioned the battery drain... so if anyone else wants to chime in on the pro and cons of a wah retrofit, that would be great!