Wah comparison...MXE/CAE MC404 vs Vox 846 HW

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

Looking for a new Wah and wonder if anyone has compared the above wahs...

Don't really need the versatility and tweakability factor but rather just a good sounding wah that sounds great with cleans and dirt...

I like the concept of the HW wah but tone and reliability win out...

I havn't found very many clips of the VoxHW and the ones I heard showed a very narrow sweep and not a very vocal wah...

The CAE was more vocal in this regard...

Anyone do a side by side??

Chow,
    Seegs

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks Kyle...I have had several Teeses and they are an old standby but none ever stuck...

I want to try something different and maybe am more enamoured by the insides of the Vox HW than the tone...the CAE scares me a bit because of the issues you mentioned...

I think I will go shoot them out today and see for myself...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

Just went on a massive wah hunt and the CAE is hands down my favourite wah ever...when on...my problem and the reason I didn't take it home was the bypass cut bass significantly...I cannot deal with that...the wound strings lost energy and bass when the wah was off...

The Vox HW had the best bypass but the overall wah sound was very uninspiring and the sweep very short...it was maybe even a bit piercing when in toe down position so it didn't come home either...huge dissapointment!!!

Then I tried a Clyde Deluxe and that was just plain boring and the most expensive wah in the store...no thanks!

A standard Dunlop crybaby with buffer...had a good bypass but was distorted when the wah was on...

The surprise was a Teese RMC1 new generation...bypass was not as good as the Vox HW but pretty close and the wah sound...while not as good as the CAE it was damn good...best of both worlds and so far this one is in the lead except that it is way expensive over here...about $300 + for a basic wah is more than I am willing to spend...

The search continues for a wah that has a great bypass and

Chow,
    Seegs

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Sound and feel are off the charts...but for me the guitar lost its livliness and some low freqs when the wah was off...

How much...enough for me and the salesman to notice...I was and am still so disappointed...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Seegs, I've owned one of these, and do not remember that issue at all. Perhaps you had a bum one?

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

Nick I can't speak to that but I can say that I am overly sensitive to that phenomenon...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Hmm. I wonder if the CAEwah has "almost true bypass" bypass, like the 535Q.

The 535Q is true bypass with the exception of two small resistors on the board, which are placed there to prevent signal pops when clicking the wah on and off. There's instructions out there on the web on how to remove them - it's super simple, just popping off two surface-mount resistors.

I wonder if the CAE has a similar setup, and if so, if it's causing this problem.

8. warioblast

warioblast Member

I'm expecting to see a lot of CAE wahs in the emporium in the next weeks. :rotflmao

9. warioblast

warioblast Member

The CAE wah has been out for more than a year I think, I'm really surprised nobody noticed the tone suck before. Specially with all the hype towards it.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

My bud is quite a high profile player and has had one on his board for two years and hasn't noticed it...he has however gone through lots of pickups and such with the CAE in his chain and I wonder if the CAE was not there if his pickups swapping would stop...

I agree about the sound and also the feeling of how it kicks on effortlessly and it is really expressive and inspirational...the best I've heard!!

The bass loss is a deal breaker!!

I am toying with the idea of adding a Little Lehle looper or a Lehle 1@3 to accomodate using the CAE...it is just so liquid to use...

Maybe it's an impedance thing which could be cured with a mod...I would be open to getting one and having it modded if it improves the bypass and doesn't affect the stellar tone...

Right now plan B is the new RMC1...the gray one with the angled front I think as there are a few versions of the Teese wahs floating around and I'm not sure which is current...it was also good but not quite as expressive or as versatle as the CAE

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

Me too...very sensitive to that sort of thing and I can't listen to tired old argument anymore...well "live you won't notice it and neither will the audience"...I do feel it...

I am very protective of my clean tone and any pedal that goes between my guitar and amp will be closely scrutinized for this behavior...

In the end that minute loss of bass or low mids often makes for a ratty...fizzy or sizzly sounding od pedal which normally sounds creamy...full and beautiful...or for a guitar that doesn't quite respond quick enough to my touch...

Thanks for doing this Kyle and please keep us informed of any possible mods that will restore the bypass integrity of an otherwise great sounding and feeling pedal...

If nothing happens I may see if I can address it in person at the upcoming Frankfurt Musik fair at their booth...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Very cool of you to go through the trouble to verify.

Love the cae, but wanted something with no adjustments and am really digging the hw vox.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

seegs, have you tried a loaded area 51?

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

mine does not have this issue

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Your kidding Right? You didn't think to check the website? ;)
    http://www.realmccoycustom.com/RMC1.htm
    If you like the RMC1 and want that plus some more expressive/versatile try this.
    http://www.realmccoycustom.com/RMC2.htm
    have Fun.

16. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

resistance could vary in the switch I guess. But I swear half the things I read here have NEVER come to light on Stage.;)

17. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I notice NO bass loss with mine.. I love it. The loaded area 51 is the wah im trying next.

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hey Lou...had a basic A51 and was nice but not really vocal enough for me...

I also have a Vox that was tuned by our own EricD that sounds great but right now it is microphonic for some reason so I want to get another...

BoT...I never kid...I am lazy as all getout:phones Thanks for the info. I see the new gray...angled-front ones avaliable but for huge$$/€€'s...Problem is that here in Europe there is a lot of old stock floating around and you still lots of pics of the blue ones advertised at the stores...

Geez guys...Kyle measured it and I heard it and so did the saleman at the store...it is obvious and I believe in the design...

It cuts bass and most likely wasn't broken...to answer this tired old argument..."I will notice it on stage" and I compared it to straight in and with other wahs...it is very noticeable...

If you want to use one and it doesn't bother you...cool it bothers me big time but don't diminish someone elses findings because you have one and don't hear the problem...don't care about it or just think it's a load of TGP cork-sniffery...it's a real audible and measureable issue etc.

I take great care about what goes between my guitar and amp as it affects how I play...

All true bypass methods are not created equal...

The CAE sounds great when on...so much so I am even considering getting a Lehle Little Looper or a 1@3 to incorporate it in my setup...

Chow,
    Seegs

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

Too bad Kyle...I thought your original response was right on the money...

I'm sorry for hearing bass loss in the beloved CAE and I'm sorry I started this thread...not:)

I'd be interested in your work-around for the CAE...you can pm me if you like!

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  20. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I'm sorry not trying to stir you, but what does this have to do with bass loss involving wah pedals with true bypass? Also not doubting your testing and results but what is the difference between a true bypass wah having this low end loss in comparison with any other kind of effect with true bypass? Are you saying this only occurs with some wah pedals or true bypass in general?:huh