• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Wah inductor failure - what next?

Grenville

So, my heavily modified early 00's (or before) Vox Wah has finally stopped quacking.

One of the two mounting pins has fallen off the inductor, and no amount of soldering is going to reattach it.

I replaced the original black inductor years ago with a red Fasel, then replaced that with a Whipple inductor, which has served me well, until now.

So the question is, do I acquire a new Whipple to re-quackify my wah, or look at a Joe Gagan Tone Tank, a Chase Tone stack-of-dimes replica, an Arteffect stack-of-halos, or something else?

I'm looking for that White Room/Voodoo Child/Call it Sleep kind of wah, although I don't play anything like those particular guys.

What have you guys tried. if anything?

Grenville

Not a lot of Thomas wahs floating around in Australia... and my wah has lasted 15 years already, there's at least another 15 in there, probably more, once I replace the dead inductor.

In other words, I'm not going to replace the wah, just the broken part.

Anyone got a recommendation as far as inductors go?

Last edited:

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, the black inductors that Dunlop started using about ten to twelve years ago sounded better to my ears than the Fasels or most vintage inductors. I'm a TDK "red box" fan, but after those, the newer black ones are fine. The Fasels and Dunlops are available as replacements.

Grenville

Honestly, the black inductors that Dunlop started using about ten to twelve years ago sounded better to my ears than the Fasels or most vintage inductors. I'm a TDK "red box" fan, but after those, the newer black ones are fine. The Fasels and Dunlops are available as replacements.
The black inductor in the wah when I got it, early 2001, was pretty good actually. I bought a red Fasel reissue that was good but not necessarily better. I've had the Whipple in there for a few years but never compared it with the original.

goodhonk

Not a lot of Thomas wahs floating around in Australia... and my wah has lasted 15 years already, there's at least another 15 in there, probably more, once I replace the dead inductor.

In other words, I'm not going to replace the wah, just the broken part.

Anyone got a recommendation as far as inductors go?
Sorry, i thought you were asking for wah recommendations.

warioblast

I have an Arteffect Halo in my DIY Clyde. Sounds pretty good.
They're great people too. I'm not sure that the stack of dimes will give you the sound you're looking for. You should send them an email.

Grenville

I listened to the Chase Tone sound samples on their Ebay page and ordered one of theirs. The demos sound good, I'll wait and see!

Grenville

I have an Arteffect Halo in my DIY Clyde. Sounds pretty good.
They're great people too. I'm not sure that the stack of dimes will give you the sound you're looking for. You should send them an email.
FINALLY got my wah repaired, the old circuit board is worse-for-wear after all these years, tracks lifting in places but it's all wired up now.

And... you're right warioblast, the stack of dimes isn't really what I needed. Although the Whipple was 'the' sound for me, I need something I can solder in securely. Might try an Artefect Halo next, or a Joe Gagan Tone Tank.

warioblast

You might want to consider starting to build a wah from scratch. It's a simple build really. I build my clyde inspired wah on breadboard. There's also a bunch of companies selling PCBs nowadays. You could easily dismantle your old vox and use a brand new pcb. Anyways you have many options...

Last edited:

Trending Topics