wah inductors (?!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tbone666, Nov 22, 2005.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

can anyone point me in the right direction?

i have modded my vox wah w/ a true bypass switch and a fulltone wah pot. does anyone have any input as far as replacing the inductor. i've come across 3:

- red fasel
    - yellow fasel
    - halo replica

i have not been able to find a lot of literature on the halo replica. which is the inductor that i would want if i'm going after the "voodoo chile" tone? i thought i was going with the red, but then the halo came into play. ill keep searching and wait for a response -

thanks ahead of time.
    -todd

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Funny you should post this - a similar post at the DIYstomboxes forum just came up. Nothing decisive.

Your best bet, if you want to mod you wah is to read this.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Here is a post from ariel-fx

"people seem to think that by changing the inductor alone they will get a Clyde McCoy sounding wah pedal and if the inductor
    didn't work out for them it's probably the inductor's fault. the fact is that these people have to read an article (or at least one section of it) or even better, print it and keep it! (article link above)

... the fasel inductors (both red & yellow) have their inductance all over the place, so if you liked a red fasel in a friend's stock
    GCB-95 don't think that if you'll buy a red fasel and install it in your stock GCB-95 it will surly sound the same - only if you are very lucky.

boutique inductors are usually made from parts that are mass produced and during the last year or two (?) they found their way to the market
    in the form of kits. I think it's a good thing because people can wind an inductor for fun and experiment in a way that was very difficult until now.
    in fact I wrote a guide to help people get started on inductor winding (see it on small bear electronics). personally, I don't think this takes away
    from the "quality" of the inductors Stuart or I or any other boutique maker builds. we all have our own techniques for winding, potting and assembly of these kits not to talk about tuning and different wires more over, some parts might look the same but they are not the same. I know for fact that Stuart is making excellent quality inductors simply because I own a few, and I know from people who bought my inductors that they do the trick at leat as well.

so if you are building your wah project and you are not happy with your tone, before you try all the inductors in the market you might consider
    reading a little article for 10 minutes and save yourself headache and frustration.

right now, i have yellow fasels from 150mH - 690mH"

AL

3. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey tbone666,

I use an Area 51 wah inductors on my 2 Area 51 wah pedals and on my Vox V847 wah pedal. I also have a Dunlop Fasel reissue wah inductor (red) for sale, if you're interested.
    Here is my Area 51 wah pedal:
    [​IMG]

Guitar George

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, when those Fasel RIs surfaced a couple of years ago, I got one of each, thinking I could resurrect my retired Dunlop Crybaby. They both significantly changed the sound of the pedal, but it still didn't sound as good as my stock Bud Wah.

I put the yellow one in first, and the difference was actually pretty dramatic. Reminded me of my long-gone Colorsound; very "pukey", almost as if the throw was reversed- interesting & bizarre, but not quite what I was looking for.

The red one made for a more subtle change, but most definitely an improvement. Gave it to my buddy's daughter, who's in a Hendrix tribute band, and she was thrilled.

Clearly the inductor's just part of the recipe, but it's a fun, cheap mod. Well worth doing.

5. U.S. Blues

U.S. Blues Member

I think you will get further in the hendrix zone by changing out the stock transistors to bc109b types with gains around 325-350 hfe, and try changing the .01uf caps to polystyrene .01uf. In my experience these changes let the wah sound more vocal and don't obscure the guitar tone as much.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The word I heard was the Red Fasel is the one to go for (dunlop does not use the Yellow in any production wah). Now this QC issue is very disturbing. Inductors from 160-690 mH - WTF??? The accepted wah wisdom is that 500mH is the Golden number but if the Fasels vary this greatly how can you be sure what your getting? Can you imagine if pickups (the other "wound" guitar part) varied this greatly? If Duncan says their pickup is 6.5k IT IS within a very acceptable tolerence. I can only hope that this is a fluke because I was planning on getting the Red Fasel for my old wah.

7. tbone666

thanks guys - this helps -

i guess there is one question i'd like to press re: the "halo". i've read a seen a lot more stuff on the 'net re: the fasel's but what about this halo repro? it is more expensive, but $10-15 isn't gonna break the bank at this point so do i go with the red fasel that apperas to be more widely known about? can anyone give me info on the halo?

-todd

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Here's a post I found on google groups that pretty much sums up my research to this point (minus my new QC concerns)

Jack Zucker
    Aug 8 2003, 8:59 am

Another update...

I received the red fasel inductor (and the yellow one) today. The yellow one's an eval-only. I can use it as long as I don't solder it but I have to return it. I have my wah setup with a socket of sorts so I can put an inductor in without soldering. But I digress...

I plopped the red fasel into the wah. It sounds fabulous. Definitely better than the rectangular TDK or the stack of dimes inductor. However, the fulltone seems to have a broader quack range and is thicker in upper mid harmonics and just plain sounds cooler. Here's how I'd rate the inductors I've tried so far from best to worse:

1) Fulltone
    2) Red Fasel reissue
    3) Stack of Dimes
    4) TDK Rectangular
    5) Yellow Fasel reissue
    6) Dunlop standard

I'm really not sure of the 3-4 ranking. I'd have to do more tests to be sure.

Additionally, the yellow reissue has a very nice quack but has kind of a wierd envelope follower like attack. It reminds me of playing through a mutron III.

The weird thing is that on jimdunlop.com, he describes the yellow one as being the vintage one and the red torroidal design as being a more modern one. Here's the description from his site:

"Choose the (red) precision-wound Toroidal model for the cleanest sound possible or, for die-hard vintage vibe install the (yellow) authentic Cup Core version."

My tests indicate the opposite and interestingly enough, the new vintage wah dunlop has out along with the reissue clyde-mccoy wah that vox has out both use the red fasel reissue...

9. tbone666

Where am i able to find a fulltone inductor? i saw on his website that those are no longer available.

if i can't find the fulltone i'll probably go with the red fasel, but the halo will haunt me unless i can figure out where in the grand scheme of things this unit plays a part.

--todd

10. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

11. warioblast

warioblast Member

12. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

BTW, generally speaking, a Halo Inductor is going to be cleaner and less agressive sounding than a Fasel or a Stack Of Dimes. There were at least a couple versions of the Halo I believe.

13. landru64

landru64 Member

i've heard good things from the castledine. i am pretty sure that is what is in my landgraff wahs.