Wah on or off pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leftty, Feb 12, 2012.

1. leftty

leftty Member

I am trying to shorten up the size of my board and my wah takes up a big space. I was thinking of putting it closer to my mic where i can get to it easier. My board is always to my right side and i normally dont go near it during songs except for when useing my wah, so how many other have the wah on or off and way.

2. thesooze

thesooze Member

I don't use a wah a lot, but I use it off board since I like it first in my chain anyway. Feels better flat on the ground to me as well.

3. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I prefer it on board, but I like a really fast setup and tear down.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Sounds like off board is best for you. I like the conveniene of having it on there so eveything's in one package-it's one more thing to carry, but if space was tight I could see having it seperate. Actually space is tight so mine might come off too.

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I like it on my board. It feels normal now, but it took some getting used to. Set up is very simple this way, but the wah placement is the most important part for me. I like the wah in the middle of the chain, so being on the board is almost necessary.

For your situation, wah off the board sounds like a good solution however.

6. JRBain

JRBain Member

On.

It's been years since I used one on the floor, and back then I didn't have a board. Certainly the thought didn't cross my mind when I decided to put my pedals on a board, and frankly the inconvenience of having to set it up, carry it in something and sort out power arrangements (I don't use batteries unless I actually have to) would outweigh any benefit of having it on the floor.

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Yeah but wah batteries last 3 lifetimes-even on my board I don't have a cord long enough to reach so I still use a battery. I agree about having to carry is seperately though, which is kind of the point of a pedalboard.

8. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Since I use a PedalTrain the angle of the wah doesn't feel very natural when it's on a board - I'm too used to it being on the floor.

I'd keep it on the floor next to your mic.

9. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I always keep my wah (if I'm using one) and volume pedals off my pedal board and on the floor. I tried it on my board and didn't like how the whole board would move, especially if when playing on a hard floor. Wah can be hard to click on and off because the pedal board absorbs some of the pressure.

johann likes this.
  10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Good point-I guess it depends on the board-mine's an NYC so it's heavy/solid and it's not slanted so no problems, but a Pedaltrain, I could see where there would be issues.

11. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I don't understand why it would be such a hassle to set up a wah off board if you run the wah first in your chain? You could have the power wire and audio cables hanging off your board so it would be easy to hook up your wah. Only a couple extra things to plug in and would probably take most only a few extra seconds to do so when setting up your regular board. The wah would probably fit in your regular pedalboard case as well, so nothing extra to carry.

12. JRBain

JRBain Member

I can't disagree; I don't recall ever having changed many wah batteries. It's for environmental reasons, as well as consistency.