Wah or envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EagleDo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Just curious as to why somebody might prefer one over the other.

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I have one of each and like them both. The auto wah gets you into wah territory without having to manipulate a pedal (simply reacting to your pick attack) while the wah allows you a little more expression and control over the effect. Of those I've used, I've found the auto wahs / filters typically quieter than most wah pedals. If you're singing, the auto wah can be a bit easier to use since it's less to coordinate.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Two. Completely. Different. Pedals.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I agree. But there's so much overlap the way I use them they're essentialy interchangeable. I can certainly see how this could not be the case for a lot of people.

5. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Similar pedals, like phase and flanger, yet have underlying differences. The average listener could careless but guitarists sweat the minutia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

An envelope follower is not limited to an auto-wah.

There are envelope followers which affect modulation rate and/or depth, delay rate, application of a resonant filter, and so on. Yes, there are envelope filters which use a wah filter, but a lot of envelope filters do not.

Assuming you mean comparing wah envelope filters with wah-wah pedals, the biggest difference is that one is foot-controlled and the the other dynamic-controlled. One person might like having a triggered envelope on each peak. Someone else might prefer a rhythmic envelope having nothing to do with the pick attacks.

Also, given that some envelope filters sound nothing like a wah, one could prefer the sound of those filters to the wah sound. A lot of envelope filters have resonant filters, where a set of resonant frequencies make a hump (visible in an frequency analyzer) which moves up and down just a bit lower (in the case of a low-pass filter) than the frequency where the sound goes to zero. That's the second preference someone might have: single-vocal-formant-type filter like a wah, or resonant filter.

So, two reasons to prefer one over the other: foot-controlled versus signal strength, and type of filter.

7. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Can you name some?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

A low pass filter or a high pass filter doesn't sound like a wah. I have those options in the Mobius and H9. Actually been using them a bit lately, programming some Muse and U2 presets for gigs. Can be used in a very subtle or very extreme way. A wah though, is always a pretty obvious effect because of the usually narrow Q.

9. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I've played both for years, going either for the funky wah sound or a JG esque filter tone and personally the filter just fits my playing better.

10. RickK

RickK Member

I've always liked having both. If I had to choose only one it would be a traditional wah - can't live without the control