Wah pedal on pedaltrain board how's this working out for you?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TopDog, Jan 31, 2015.

1. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Tell me how you like having a wah pedal on your Pedaltrain board. I don't have my wah on Pedaltrain board but am considering it. What are the pros and cons?

2. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

A vote for love it on the board. First off I was pleasantly surprised that the wah fits on my Junior board without having to take off/replace the rubber feet. I use the wah so much more now that I don't have to make the decision if I should pack it and an extra patch cable. Since it's on the boards power supply I also don't have to worry about 9v batteries. In my opinion, the ease and convenience is worth having two less regular size pedals on my board.

3. steam-powered

steam-powered Member

Pro: can't think of any

Con: high off the ground and at too much of an angle to use comfortably

4. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

I can't put it on the board because it's proximity to the power supply causes it to pickup a lot of hum when engaged.

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I no longer have mine on the board (Morley Bad Horsie) but I don't use it anymore anyways. But when I did use it, I prefered it on the board as the sweep felt more comfortable to me with the increased angle, and having it sit taller because of being on the board, was also more comfortable for me as well. YMMV

6. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I don't like the elevation / angle with a traditional wah on a PT style board.
    It is easier to me for it to already be set up ready to go on the board though.

I'm currently using a Morley mini maverick on my gig board which is not a Pedaltrain but similar. It has a different feel to a crybaby style shell & I do like this one on the board.

[​IMG]

7. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Use to have it off, but now have it on. Having it on just cleaned up some additional cable mess in my small-room practice area that was crampin' my style.

8. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

This! What wah are you using? I had my Slash wah (the later one, not the red one) on my board for a year or two; loved it and absolutely no hum when engaged. I'd always been intrigued by the Vertex Axis though and after the whole shitstorm broke, there was one on eBay with no bids and no interest. Ended up picking it up for less than a BBE! Haha. Love the sound of it, but bloody hell does it hum if it's near the PP2. I've got two mounted under my board as well, so there's no escaping it - the only way to get around it is to have it off the board, annoyingly. Not the end of the world, but a pain in the arse...the only apparent solution is to line your board with Mu-Metal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqqqe7xReII) but it's a bit on the pricey side!

Back to the OP post though; never minded having my Wah on my board - didn't find the angle inhibitive, and loved the fact that it was all completely contained.

9. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Thats funny, I had that same issue (as in the video) on my board with that same wah, but it was when I used the Morley wall wart that I noticed that noise, and the wall wart wasnt under the morley, it was about 6" away from the pedal!

The funny thing is that when I got a my DC brick (getting ready to replace that thing!) I actually mounted it under the board, and velcroed it straight to the bottom of the wah, and I NEVER had that sound when setup this way!

Go figure that one, not sure whats so different, since the DC brick is pretty much a 18v daisy chain that steps down to 9v

10. papersun

papersun Member

for pros, try not having to find some additonal way of carrying it, not to mention having to plug it in and power it up every gig and also having it maybe move around on the floor when you step on it?

as for the con, having it at an angle was never an issue for me.

11. TFR

TFR Member

Some people might consider that a con. :D

12. rck

rck Supporting Member

That's a Gator Aluminum board, right? How do you like it?

13. rck

rck Supporting Member

I didn't like mine on a PT-3 board mainly b/c of the angle. It also takes up quite a bit of space.

Last, I'm clumsy and heavy footed so when I engaged it, I would rock the whole board and thought that might increase the chance of cable failures.

14. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Ok true haha, I'm not talking Kirk Hammett amounts! I assume OP or persons condering this option has already decided they need a Wah for the gig.

15. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Love it on my PT Jr. No problem with usage either.

I see all Pros and No Cons :dude

The Harmony Singer on the right is optional. I play in a band with a lead singer and I don't bring it. I also have my own power trio where I'm the lead singer and nobody sings so I bring it.

[​IMG]

16. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Definitely on, it's not too high or uncomfortable for my foot and I get no noise whatsoever. It their on my PTJr. always ready to stomp!

[​IMG]

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

This is where I am. If I'm not going to be playing any shows, it sits on the floor. But if I'm getting ready for gigs, I'll fit it on the board and just deal with it. I tend to only use it on a couple of tunes anyway.

18. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

For a time there was a company called pedal pal that had a side attachment you could sit the wah or whatever else on and it would sit flat and be moveable with the board. However in spite of the demand and functionality the guy making them had no idea how to run a business and managed to totally miss the boat on selling a product people want:facepalm

I've got 3 right side models - two doublewides and a single I found used. Been looking for a left attach double used forever. Even tried ordering through the guys site 4 times and repeatedly emailing him. In spite of my efforts he didn't want my or anyone else's money:dunno

19. Bobafunk

Bobafunk Member

I really like mine on the board personally.

20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I took mine off the board for space purposes. I ended up modding my PT to fit the power supply. With the new angle, the wah became a little uncomfortable to play, so I left it out. Also, I don't use it very much.