• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Wah Pedal Suggestions

jrockbridge

I’m looking into buying a new wah pedal. I need it to have the type of buffer that works well with a Fuzz Face circuit. I seem to like the classic Crybaby Wah sound. Still, I’m open to suggestions. I was considering the Xotic Wah but I’m not sure I like the smaller size.

What is your suggestion for wah pedals or what do you like and why?

M

Member 202408

Let me know, too. I've never found a wah wah that's perfect for me. Morleys aren't deep and chewey enough for me, Crybabies are too dark and tone sucky with certain tones, Budda wahs don't feel good under my foot and don't have enough sweep. And so on. I want a wah that has a ton of sweep both sonically and physically, and sounds good with clean and dirty sounds.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
I use wah in just a couple of songs so I went with a Morley Maverick. Small, switchless, sounds good clean or dirty.

jrockbridge

I use wah in just a couple of songs so I went with a Morley Maverick. Small, switchless, sounds good clean or dirty.
That’s probably a decent solution. I like the idea of switchless operation in theory although I’ve never tried it. But, I don’t think this will work well with a Fuzz Face which is a dealbreaker for me.

JackBurton

Interested in this too. I’ve had a couple different Crybaby’s in the 90’s and 2000’s but never loved the feel or the tone. I’m not sure which models they were.....I wasn’t the gear nerd then that I am now.

Honestly the most comfortable wah I’ve played was on a Line 6 Pod footboard I gigged with from 2000-02

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
The Xotic is a fantastic selection, as it is tunable to any amp, the smaller size saves space but still feels likeyourwhole foot can be comfortable on it. Highly recommended.

MoonshineMan

Teese or BMF.
I've got a Teese Picture wah, which is the old Vox (not a Crybaby) and he puts the buffers in his wahs to play nice with the fuzzies. He has a lot of different models, and I'm sure his take on the Crybaby is fantastic.
That being said, check out the BMF stock wah. I think it's based on the Maestro something or other. It's friggin UNREAL. It's been Marc Ford's wah for quite a while. If that doesn't say something about how it plays with fuzz, I don't know what would. I've got one and it's really smooth, very vocal, with a thick bottom end, perfect top, and it sweeps like melted butter. I also really like the soft switch, but it took a few minutes to get used to, and I accidentally turned it off a few times before my hamfisted foot got the hang of it.

I love them both, and have had the RMC4 for years. I was ready for something different, and someone turned me on to Scott's stuff.
Both are total keepers.

Teese or BMF.
I've got a Teese Picture wah, which is the old Vox (not a Crybaby) and he puts the buffers in his wahs to play nice with the fuzzies. He has a lot of different models, and I'm sure his take on the Crybaby is fantastic.
That being said, check out the BMF stock wah. I think it's based on the Maestro something or other. It's friggin UNREAL. It's been Marc Ford's wah for quite a while. If that doesn't say something about how it plays with fuzz, I don't know what would. I've got one and it's really smooth, very vocal, with a thick bottom end, perfect top, and it sweeps like melted butter. I also really like the soft switch, but it took a few minutes to get used to, and I accidentally turned it off a few times before my hamfisted foot got the hang of it.

I love them both, and have had the RMC4 for years. I was ready for something different, and someone turned me on to Scott's stuff.
Both are total keepers.
x2 on the BMF. One of the cool features is that you can buy different circuits (such as the Cry Baby, Colorsound Vox, Real McCoy, etc) from Scott to swap in and out in about 2 min. I recently bought the Col;orsound circuit to try and if its not bang on for Clapton's wah tone on Derek and the Domino's Live at Fillmore then its bloody damn close. The stock BMF circuit is still my favourite though. To top it off Scott is a damn great guy and all his pedals are built in enclosures that could survive a nuclear holocaust.

CEFlint

Xotic or an old purple Budda are both excellent choices.
The Xotic size is not so small that I can tell under my 12D shoes.

AwakentheDawn

MXR CAE (dunlop) MC404 works fantastic with fuzzface types, before or after. Something simplistic like the dunlop hendrix wah would be ideal as well, sometimes dumbing down the options on a wah turns out better in the end

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Try a Teese RMC10. Based on the sound of an old Italian wah, which is what the Crybaby is descended from. Has a fuzz-friendly output buffer, built like a tank, no extraneous bells and whistles, and just sounds incredible.
Joe Walsh uses one. Teese made it with Joe in mind. It has a very short throw which took some getting used to for me, but now I dig it.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
The old fulltone clyde pedals have a buffer, I have a 90s dunlop fuzzface and havent had a problem with any wah if I run the fuzz first
Guitar-fuzz-wah-amp
I currently have the mxr cae404 and its pretty cool

Trending Topics