Wah Pedal - what's decent?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Haven't had a wah pedal since I had hair, but I have a new band covering stuff that would benefit from some occasional whacka whacka. It will join a Peterson Strobostomp, a Carl Martin Quattro and a V-Stack Tweedy on my pedal board. Doesn't have to be the be all end all of wah's, just something decent sounding, reasonably priced, and user friendly. What's everybody like?

2. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I think the fulltone, teese, and area51 wahs are real popular and sound great.

3. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

I finally found my wah after owning the Budda wah...tried every dunlop, every morley, the fulltones, and a few others, and Budda is the smoothest, most vocal, and pleasant wah to my ears. This is coming from a guy who really doesn't like wah in the first place. Outstanding pedal IMO!

4. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Check out the Wilson Rippa Wah. I've had them all, several Teese, SupaQuack, Vox, modded Crybaby, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe etc. For the money the Rippa is an unbelievable value. Very throaty and vocal.

5. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Hey...do a search! No, no, just kidding. Couldn't help it. :)

I'm really digging the Wilson Rippah Q wah. It seems to be about the cleanest wah I've tried yet. I've had the Teese RMC3, Wizard, and Budda wahs so far, keeping the Wilson. I may try a Clyde Deluxe, but I haven't felt the need for wah churn lately.

6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I've heard excellent things about the Area 51 with all the control options. Right now I'm pretty happy with my Teese Wizard Wah, though.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The Vox 847 is a decent wah and the Budda is a decent wah neither of which will break the bank

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a fully loaded Area 51 that I love after a pretty extensive search. I also have a Keeley modded Vox 847 that is decent for much less.
    To save some $, you could get by on the Area 51 with just the quack and growl controls and leave off the range knob. Also, if you don't use fuzz, you don't need the buffer.

9. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I really like the Fulltone one myself, but I ended up with a Dunlop 535; it's a LOT of wah for the money.

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

I bought the Wilson adjustable wah kit and I love it. I've used a Teese RMC3, vintage Jen Crybabys, etc and this pedal is the best I've found yet. The Wilson works great for both funk and rock stuff, which is not the case with a lot of wah pedals.

11. brianf

brianf Member

I have had my Fulltone Dlx for about 3 weeks now and could not be happier. Lots of great tones with the 3 style settings and a built in gain boost make for a great package.

brianf

12. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Greg at orbiterguitars.com modified my Crybaby, and it's my fave wah ever.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Vox 847 is good and not too expensive

14. Rubytuesday007

Rubytuesday007 Member

I am lovin the Zvex Wah Probe.

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

For the money - it's hard to beat a Budda Wah ......

16. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Definitely Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Great pedal, great customer service. I have tried most of them and this is the sh_t.
    www.wilsoneffects.com

ROCK TILL YOU DROP:band:RoCkIn:JAM

17. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I wasn't happy with my V847 at all - didn't like the tone, it was very susceptible to RF interference (i.e. it would pick up radio stations and I'd hear them through the amp) and it's a major tone-sucker when bypassed (as are many wahs). I picked up a Dunlop Crybaby with a true bypass mod off eBay for fifty bucks and am very happy with it.

18. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I like my Fulltone. It's got a very wide sweep and that's what sold me.

19. beej

beej Supporting Member

The Budda wah is great. That said, sold mine and bought an Ernie Ball wah which I like better. It's throatier than the Budda (a tad more agressive) and the housing is built like a tank. Essentially it's the Ernie Ball volume pedal housing. Highly recommend it.

20. bluedean

bluedean Supporting Member

Sold my Picture and WOF Wahs because they needed the Foxrox mod. Bought the Wilson Rippah Q 12 position vintage wah. Very happy since.