Wah pedals - where to start???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I'd like to get a "good" (read likely boutique) wah pedal. I'd hate to go through the buying selling I did to find OD's that fit my ears (Zendrive, Blackstone).

Don't know too much there seems to be "Clyde", "Tesee" and some others.

- Are there different general "camps" that they fall into?
    - Fasel inductors?
    - True bypass is necessary.
    - Adaptor power option is desired.
    -Are the ones that offer more than one sound in the box (Fulltome Clyde?)

Looking for an education by the knowledgable ones here and thanks in advance for your time! BTW, I don't play live, just at home and use the affor mentioned Zen, Blackstone and a Fuzz Factory (love that one)

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The only place to go..Teese, aka 'Real McCoy Custom'. Go to his site. From vintage voiced wahs to fully tweekable masterpieces. Very 'boutique', a bit pricey, but unmatched tone and quality.

3. drolling

drolling Member

If money was no object, I'd have a Teese Picture wah. That's the one that really nails the sounds of Cream/Hendrix that I grew up on.

I'm currently using the Budda Bud wah, a much less expensive pedal that sounds almost as good to me.

I see that you use fuzz. I've always wanted one of those ZVex's myself. Fuzz & wah's a classic combination, but even the best wah pedal does one of two things when placed in front of a fuzz - a high pitched squeal or nothing much at all. I can't stand the cartoonish exaggeration you get when placing a wah after a fuzz, so that's never been an option for me.

The Foxrox booster kit helps a wah pedal cut thru', but it does change the tone along w/boosting the signal, and I really didn't want to mess w/the Bud, so..

..I got a plain vanilla Vox 847. This is a cheap, mass produced pedal, but gets pretty close to the tones I like. It's not true-bypass, tho', and that's absolutely essential for a wah. They are the *original* tone-suckers, and probably responsible for the true-bypass fixation as it exists today.

So I hacked it open, replaced the switch & added the booster kit while I was at it. That's the one I go to for psychedelic freak-outs. When I'm going straight to the amp (maybe some 'vibe & overdrive), I prefer the tone of the Bud.

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

+1 on the Teese Picture wah... what the heck, +10!!!

That being said, if you want a classic wah sound, the TPW is the one. If you want tweakablity, or weirdness on tap, look elsewhere. Don't forget that part of the beauty (or ugliness) of a wah is how it feels under your foot. I grew up on a Thomas Organ Cry Baby (still have one), and I love the feel of it. But the Teese feels even better... it just plain rocks (sometimes I will only use it on one song a night, just to make myself wait for that magic moment when I get to hear those tones screaming out of my amp!)

Unfortunately, a wah is just like an OD, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, etc - to each his own. The process of finding the "ONE" is long and arduous (and expensive). My journey ended with the Picture Wah. I am content. All my other pedals of other sorts are still on double secret probation, and face instant dismisal every time the mailman brings me one of those beautiful little boxes...

5. erksin

erksin Member

I play at home too and really like the Clyde, both for the great tone and the longer sweep range. I had a modded V847 and it sounded great, but the Clyde's wider sweep just suits me better.

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

How close would you say, the Picture setting on the RMC3 comes to emulating the actual Picture wah? I have not been hapy with the RMC3 settings with my current rig, and was thinking for trading up for a Picture wah, but i tried the picture setting and i am still not all that happy!

Brian

7. rooster

rooster Member

Like I've said before, why not post your location and see if anyone here on the board techs in your area? These people know quite a bit about sound and tone, and many of them probably do a bit of repair/custom work on the side.

rooster.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The Automagic Silver Machine ended the wah search for me. Had an RMC2 just prior to getting the Silver Machine. Just such high points for sound, features, build... ahhh, you just have to get one.

Check out some sound samples if you want... no lookin' back for me.

http://www.godlyke.com/msd/audio.asp

-Ben

9. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I felt the same way that you did when I started reasearching wahs. Let's also add that I had to have a wah that I could tweak on the fly for live playing. I decided on a Teese RMC2 which is tweakable enough to cover disco rhythm playing, and throaty growling Claptonesque lead playing.

Having said all that if I was in your situation, I would have gladly payed the extra and bought the RMC3. Virtually every wah tone lives in that highly tweakable masterpiece. Plus, like all the other Teese wahs, it's low noise and well crafted.

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I love my RMC-2. Having an outside volume control is important to me. Also has the 5 settings on the outside that you can get a lot of different sounds from but I always end up leaving it on the regular RMC-2 setting. If you absolutely want to tweak your little heart out go for the RMC-3. At any rate, buy Teese.:D

11. JayDA

JayDA Member

Add another vote here for the Picture Wah. I've had most of the mass produced stuff over the years (Dunlop, vox, etc) , and nothing comes close to the Picture Wah if you're after that classic sound. I also had an RMC3, which was awesome, but I found I never really tweaked it anyway, so I sold it and bought the Picture instead.

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

well, having just dinged Fulltone's Choralflange on another post, I'll put in a plug for Mike's Clyde standard wah here. It sounds good to this Hendrix/Cream junkie, and is built like a rock. Had a Teese RMC1 and Wizard, both had too much gain for me. Also had a Teese Picture wah which sounded good but didn't feel as solid under my size 13's as did the Fulltone. But a true-bypassed old Crybaby ain't a bad way to go either, plenty of pros use that old standard.

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I'm enjoying the Area 51 wah pedal that I built for myself a couple of months ago. I find the sound is "it" for vintage wahs, IMHO. I have the Carling 316PP DPDT switch, the Fulltone tone pot, the Area 51 wah circuitboard & wah buffer circuit in mine and I love the sound of it.

Guitar George