Wah Pedals- Who has the best tone??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ThatOneMelon, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'm digging the sounds I'm getting from my 535Q Cry Baby. I'm sure there are better out there, but it gets the job done and the price point is good.

2. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I'm using a vox king wah that Wilson modded and put in a halo inductor and made it a bit thicker as well as added an internal knob for low end.

I love it.

3. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

+1... The Xotic is my all-time favorite.

4. 71strat

71strat Member

+1 on the Kyle Chase Vintage Wahs.

+2 for the Roger Mayer Vision Wah

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Agree with this!

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    As new pedals go, the Crybaby Classic was always my recommendation for a decent cheap wah that works great stock. I also have a stack of dimes era Crybaby, and that was my go to before I scored a vintage spec Wilson for pretty cheap. I also have a heavily modded Crybaby and a Maestro Boomerang, all are great for certain things.

Revelation likes this.
  7. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

I've owned several CryBaby models, an original 1960's Vox, and a Budda (the original purple model) and I liked the Budda the best

8. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

Haven't owned a vintage wah yet but as of now,after owning the rmc4 and rmc10,Wilson,fulltone,cae and Buddha... I'm blown away by my castledine custom!

9. Sol

Sol Member

I used a Crybaby for yrs but splashed out on the Bud Wah that had a black label after reading reviews, and in the last 8 or 10 years I've not tried any wah that would make me want to change my Bud Wah for any of the wah pedals that have become popular since then.

That's not to say that its the best wah pedal in the world, just the best for my idea of how a wah should sound.

10. tuj

tuj Member

have had:
    -crybaby
    -morley
    -snarling dogs
    -Wilson Freaker

Only the last has stayed with me.

11. groovington

groovington Member

Look up Kyle Chase of Chase Tone, his wah prices are steep but the combination of his products, attention to detail, rigorous testing to dial in each individual unit he builds to perfection, and his top notch customer service make him worth every penny. I don't think I'll ever buy another wah or fuzz pedal from anyone else. In fact, I haven't had GAS for either of those items since owning the products he builds.

12. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

I've got a Wilson 12position Rippah Q...honestly not that big of a fan of it. THinking about picking up an xotic or maybe the RMC 10

13. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I've had my old purple Budda for 10 years or more and still love it.
    May take a look at the new Xotic, though. Like the size. If I like the sound, I might add to my smaller board.

14. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

why not get a wah that can model every wah in existence and have custom sweeps, analogue sound and get crazy step filter effects? id prefer the wahoo by sonuus than any other wah for those reasons. and its all midi assignable.

15. teleteebs

teleteebs Member

Ibanez WH10..The japan made one is pretty deadly. Not as peircing ans the babys

16. joegagan

joegagan Member

lately i like colorsound 70s inductor wah ( ' 72 is the one i had here that i loved)
    and of course the original 67 Bg1 boomerang.
    the new Xotic sounds great on the video-- killer player on the vid,
    black cat mona modern= awesome ( full disclosure, i supply BC with some of the parts and assisted in the design)

17. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I've been partial to my Parachute Wah by Chicago Iron for a few years now. But it's not the kind of wah that most people would want to use as it has that super scooped low end.

I was just looking at the MOD Kits Wahtz pedal - but haven't seen any reviews on it.

18. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

Another happy Joe Gagan wah user here.

I have four of his pedals. One 'Italia', a 'Hotrod Clyde' and two older Thomas Crybabies (Stack of Dimes inductor) modded by him.
    I love ALL of them.

I also got a stock Chicago-made TDK inductor Crybaby. That one is pretty good too. very restrained yet talky.
    I got it for $79 plus shipping! Just replaced the pot with a new Dunlop HP2 and bingo!

I had a Crybaby Classic before. Good wah, but I didn't like it as much.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  19. joegagan

joegagan Member

YES! this is an awesome wah. i had one in the blue crybaby case they made a few years back. made a pair of videos, with stock dunlop Ge fuzzface, both before and after the wah. killer.

20. Wilson Effects

Wilson Effects Member

Love that circuit! One of the best funk tones and dirty tones! The way they will push an overdriven amp or dirt pedal is awesome. The reissues are nice if modded properly.