Wah Placement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theHoss, Sep 13, 2005.

1. theHoss

theHoss Member

Howdy,

It seems like the rule of thumb is to hit the wah before ODs and Fuzzes.....I am not quite sure why? I know it is subjective thing, but I just want to know what sound people are trying to capture by putting it first in the line? I have it afterwards because if you have it first the sweepyness gets lost and it become very flat? I run Foxey Fuzz>Moon Phaser to RMC2 or DirectDive>Timmy to RMC2.....just curious.

As always, thanks for your time and thoughts.

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I really don't know what it is other than I don't like the sound after distortion. I put the wah in front of everything.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure why, either, but I prefer the tone of my wah when it's the first thing after the guitar.

I think distorting a wah-d tone sounds better than wah-ing a distorted tone.

--chiba

4. monstermike

monstermike Member

The best place to put yer wah? Under yer foot...

Seriously, I always run it before distortion, because I never really use distortion pedals these days (not that I'm using wah much either), and the distortion comes from the amp. I would think that's what you'd want to approximate with a pedal.

Some fuzzes can freak out with a wah in front of them and not give you much wah sound at all - I know that Foxrox makes a buffer for your wah that compensates for this, and I've read Roger Mayer talking about how he changed impedances on Jimi Hendrix's effects to get everything to interface correctly.

5. somedude

somedude Member

Fuzz -> Wah -> Distortion

I find my wah can get lost when put into a fuzz, but it sounds way better before dirt than it does after.

6. javahut

javahut Member

I run my Clyde Deluxe after my Red Snapper and Fuzz Factory. I too think the nice tone of the wah comes throught really well after the distortion pedals. Could be the type of music I play (spaced out, psychedelic dub, electronica). Could be that the Clyde wah just has a really cool tone that comes through like that. Could be that my MAZ 18 is providing some additional distortion after the wah... or all of the above.

I think the original idea that the wah should come before the distortion came somewhat from the old days when maybe players didn't have distortion pedals, but had a wah and just cranked their amp for overdrive/distortion... that would be the same signal path. But I think whatever sounds good (or great, as the case may be) goes.

Canartic - Headphone Test

7. drolling

drolling Member

And that's why I've been trying to contact Dave Fox for the booster he makes. I've got a couple of nice fuzzes and a few great wahs that just get buried if I place them in front. I've e-mailed Dave a bunch of times with no response. Does anybody else carry his stuff?

thanks,
    dave

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

+1. That's exactly what I do too, and why.

Wah before fuzz can sound weak and oddly 'switch-like' (ie abrupt transition between two not-very-different tones, with no smooth control) and wah after distortion can sound too synthy and not 'vocal' enough - I like synthy noises too, but not that combination particularly.

Just the way it works for me.

The most unique combination I've heard was my old Sound City (built by Dallas-Arbiter) Fuzz-Wah though - it had the fuzz and wah in parallel, which can't easily be duplicated with two separate pedals. It sounded amazing, but was very noisy, so I stupidly sold it...

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah, for some reason my NKT-275 (Analog.man) modded Fuzz Face does not like my Fulltone Clyde no matter where I put it. I had the FF first and the wah was very unpronounced, but with the Clyde first, the fuzz is pretty bright... It's weird... I think I need a buffer of something. I have a loooper coming my way to take a few pedals outta the mix when bypassed. My signal chain is:
    Fulltone Clyde
    Fulltone Deja-Vibe
    Roger Mayer Octavia
    (A.M.) Fuzz Face
    BYOC RangeMaster clone (PTP board)
    TS-808
    Klon Centaur
    Fulltone Supa-Trem
    Fulltone ChoralFlange
    Line 6 DL4

I don't know what the DL4 could be doing to my tone, but it's on all the time anyway.

10. JLee

JLee Member

www.analogman.com He's a Foxrox dealer and will also install the buffer for an additional fee. www.area51tubeaudiodesigns.com also has their version of the buffer. I don't care for wah after fuzz. I find it loses low end and the volume swell that parallels the sweep from bass to treble is annoying. Works better if you're after ultra barfy wah tones, but I just prefer wah and amp distortion.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks very much Abbe. This mod is something I've ben wanting to do for a long time. Really appreciate your help.
    'd

12. drolling

drolling Member

Hey! My very first pedal ever (got it before I even had an amp) was a Coloursound Fuzz/wah that worked in a similar fashion- the vomitiest, noisiest pedal I've heard, this beauty also picked up at least three radio stations simultaneously. I had to beg the guy at the pawn shop to give me 10 bucks for it and he only took it because he liked the custom paint job I'd done over the original day-glo orange.

I've seen them go for 500 (canadian) recently, and I just don't get it. Some of these highly sought after vintage designs really do sound like sh1t.... .. .

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

when I first got my crybaby, I tried it with my friends zoom 505. Before it, you could barely hear the wah. When placed afterwards, it was wah heaven.

Nowadays, I place the wah before my hot british, as this is the most "transparent", for lack of a better word. I get a great wah sound (not as full as when distortion is off, but negligible change) and full distortion tone. When the wah is after, it eats up my distortion (the HB is very finnicky with putting certain pedals after it).

IMO, it's not based on evolution of technology, but on what actually sounds good.

14. jakeowen

jakeowen Supporting Member

I own an Orange COLORSOUND Fuzz+Wah. It does make a bit of noise. Kills most of my low end as well. I think it needs a new switch too. I used to pick up the radio stations, but I have adjusted the pot, and having set it a little lower, It does not pick up the radio stations any more. I kind of miss that now. It could probably use some tweaking to get it to "studio quality," if it could be done at all.
    [​IMG]

15. theHoss

theHoss Member

Thanks for all your posts. I messed with it a bit, and I think I am going to keep it after my fuzz, although, the foxey fuzz with an RMC2 in front of it wasn't as sweepy, but it did sound cool.....hmmm....back to the lab....disregard what I said.

Thanks again!!!!

16. alderbody

alderbody Member

+1 :D :D :D

all others are just a matter of personal preference.

(btw, i put it before my FDII - don't use it with fuzz)

17. theHoss

theHoss Member

When I first asked this question, I was dead set on putting the wah after my OD and Fuzz. I'm not sure what changed, but after playing that way for a couple months, I realized the error of my ways. My wah (Tesse 2), seemed really cutting and trebily......so I ended up reversing the order, and now I understand everyone's comment. I feel a bit behind the curve coming to this conculsion so late in life, but hey, I just got my wah. I love it first in my line. Much more organic, and not nearly as harsh.......just wanted to followup.