wah placement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gianluigi, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

why my wah sounds so good after two ts9s and so uncontrolled before the same twos ?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Because your wah's effect gets clouded between the EQ curve of the TS9s... When placed after the TS9s, nothing is clouding the effect of the wah pedal...

3. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Put it after them or run them in parallel (would work really well if you've got a Fender or other multi-input amp). Different wah pedals will sound different in these situations sometimes, too. What kind of wah are you using? Amp?

5. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Interesting.... my wah is the 1st pedal in my chain, followed by volume, comp and dirt boxes.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

A different wah might work better... My wah and phaser don't get messed with too badly from my boost/overdrive pedals (though I do like the comp before wah), but if the boost/OD pedals were making it sound bad, I would try replacing the wah, leaving it after, or possibly running in parallel. The wah buffer kits are really for using a wah with a germanium fuzz, not TS9s...

7. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

I use a strat in to a fender super reverb (original blackface) rebuilt.
    the strange sound I get when I use it before ts is just like the pot wouldn't be 'sweet ' (I'm sorry) anymore
    THe wah is a vox with fulltone pot and inductor plus all the componenents have been upgraded

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Really, I thought that this was for every fuzz pedal, I mean, germanium and silicon fuzzes.

If I only have silicon fuzzes at the time, do I have to get one of those buffer kits ?

9. drolling

drolling Member

I don't know about buffer kits, as I always get rid of the buffers in my wah pedals by replacing the switch w/a DP/DT.

What has really worked well for me is the booster kit I got from Dave Fox at Foxrox. It beefs up the signal so you can put your wah in front of ANY type of fuzz or octavefuzz pedal w/no problems at all. I paid $45 USD shipped to Canada & did the install myself.

I put it into a VOX 847 that's totally stock except for the true-bypass switch I added a few years ago. Wah now slices right thru' the thickest silicon and/or germanium fuzzes/octavias. It's a great solution for players who have to have wah before fuzz. My signal chain; wah>octave fuzz>fuzz>univibe>overdrive>amp. This small home-made board w/5 pedals's what I use in my psychedelic rock trio.. Perfect for old Band of Gypsies tunes like "Machine Gun" or Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs", etc..