Wah placement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Why doesn't anyone put the wah after the pedalboard? I always see them in front, but they don't work so well with fuzz pedals that way. I'm talking about people that use a wah off board.

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've tried various placements, and first (or second, after my Micro POG) is just the way that works best with the majority of the pedals on my board.

You are right about the fuzz. I stopped using a fuzz for this reason.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I would give up the wah before I'd give up the fuzz. To each his own, I guess.

4. geetarman

geetarman Member

I put mine first because it sounds best there plus I'm a righty wah footer. There are plenty of fuzz pedals that work well with wah before or you can install a buffer in the wah to play nice with ones that don't.

5. anketylowday

anketylowday Member

fuzz -> wah -> everything else = :D

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I understand:

fuzz > wah > everything else because wah > fuzz doesn't work. Why not:

fuzz > everything else > wah.

7. gravy

gravy Member

being a lefty^^^ fuzz > stuff > wah makes sense to me. so far when i use a wah i put it after fuzz. will road test tomorrow.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

get a foxrox wah retrofit and run the wah into the fuzz. i just installed one this weekend in less than 10 minutes. it's outstanding. www.foxroxelectronics.com

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I put my wah early in the chain (right after fuzz) because that's where it sounds best to me. Putting it after all my other effects really washed out the wah tone - it lost that nice, thick vocal quality and became very thin and tinny sounding. Wahs seem to like a fairly virgin guitar signal.

10. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Last night for kicks I put my wah after my ODs and dist boxes on the board and...

YUCK. Back to first in the chain.

YMMV.

11. ManCas

ManCas Member

+1

Well, not last night, but I put my Wah after my fuzzes and OD since everybody says fuzz go first in the chain and my OD (Blackstone) says the same, but I HATED it (sounded shrill and ugly), so I put it first and I'm a happy camper now.
    My Wah is a Teese Wheels of Fire with the Foxrox buffer thingy, so that might have helped.

I might try FUZZ>WAH>OD someday. Cheers! and good luck!

12. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I like it best after my Fuzzs, ODs, and phaser, but I use it more as filter. I'm not after the classic rock rocking wah tone. Everytime I ever put it first, it just made my distorted wah parts really generic sounding and I took it off my board. With it in the middle of my chain, I'm actually getting interesting tones and coming up with new guitar sounds and ideas.