Wah problems

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedayrockstar, Sep 28, 2008.

1. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

So I have a 535q and it died on me. It sucks. right when I needed it the most I stepped on it to turn it on and my whole rig goes silent. First off I didn't know it was true bypass... Or is it? Then second has any one else had this problem? Is it easily fixed? I need a new wah but I have other things on the list before it.

2. johndara

johndara Member

:munch
    Never had any luck with those wahs...not true bypass by the way. Before I started going boutique, I tried a bunch of Vox's and dunlops...all crapped out on me. In fact I was trying one out in Guitar Center and couldn't even get it to work. The sales guys there were trying every which way to get a sound out of it..nothing, crap. Splurge and get a real wah..Teese, Wilson, Budda...there a many great Wahs out there.

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

It's probably just the switch. They do fail occasionally.

You can replace the switch and in the process make it true bypass.

Scott

4. crockett

crockett Member

Well, the switch is a good place to look for the problem or there could be a short to ground somewhere, hence the muting of the signal when active. You'll need to open it up and look around, either way.

I don't think making it true bypass is easy, even if you do decide to replace the switch. I don't know of anyone who mods 535Qs to true bypass and I believe it has to do with how the thing is wired.

All Dunlops I've owned have been reliable, I still have a 15 year old GCB-95 that works, and the 535Q I'm using now with my current rig has been faithful for a couple years now. Try emailing Dunlop to see if they have any ideas or have heard of issues like this, they'd probably be the most knowledgeable about defects of their own gear.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

My 535-Q appears to be true bypass. It passes signal when no battery or power....which CAN indicate TB, but is not certain. I believe some models of it were and some were not. I bought mine a little over a year ago.

I think mine is as good as it gets. I have many others, Vox, Teese Picture, Crybaby, Snarling Dogs, Budda, some I have modded some not, but the 535-Q really gets me everything I need out of a wah.

For your problem, first thing you ought to do, put a tested good fresh battery in it. Use two known good cables, guitar->wah->amp. See if you get signal, if not use your finger under the pedal plate and physically turn on the footswitch under there...hear it click see what happens.

If it works now, it is just probably an adjustment on the pedal reaching low enough to turn it on. If it still isn't working, open up the bottom, if there is a plug with wires going to the board, take it carefully off and put back on, inspect closely if any wires are out of place, touching, any metal bits in there, etc. A wah circuit is pretty simple, even one with all the bells and whistles of the 535Q. Another thing, try different settings on the knobs on the outside, see if that helps.

If it still doesn't work, take a photo of the insides and post it here?