Wah recomendations?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SFW, May 23, 2006.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Ok, here’s my situation. I currently have a Morley Bad Horsie wah on my pedal board. The sound is ok as best, but what has kept in on my board all this time is its switchless function. Over the past few months I have been think about getting a better sounding wah- and just dealing with the switch.

I really like the Fulltone Clyde, but +$200 for a wah pedal is a bit absurd to me. So with that in mind, what recommendations can you guys make for a good wah that comes in at under $200? Has anyone used the Crybaby 535Q? If so, what did you think about it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I just picked up a Dunlop Dimbag DB01 Crybaby From Hell. It's actually a really versitile wah pedal. It has fine tuning knobs and a six position knob for adjusting the frequency center. It also has indicator lights to let you know if the wah is on or off.

If your thinking you don't want a wah pedal designed by a metal guy, I would encourage you to check it out anyhow. My tone is no where near Dimebag's, yet I have had a lot of fun with this wah. At around $150, it's in your price range.

P.S. I use a Les Paul Standard, Dual Rectifer and Mesa 4x12.....

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Looking at your set up, I think the 535 would be better suited to your set up than the Clyde, although you can get them used on Ebay for well under $200.

4. bluesmagoo

bluesmagoo Member

I have a 535Q and really like it. It's a very versatile good sounding wah. You can dial in a variety of sounds. I like to find that "in between" sound and leave the pedal in that position with the boost engaged.

5. SFW

SFW Member

How so? Not that I'm doubting you, but what led you to that deduction?

6. msp

msp Member

i personally love rmc wahs

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

the wizzard wah and the rmc 1 are both under 200$

if i were you i would consider the rmc2 (its 235$ and geoffrey is easy to work with ...he is a really nice guy...he may cut you a deal if you call him and are really nice)

the rmc2 is probably your best bet its a great wah

7. drolling

drolling Member

I've yet to hear a Dunlop CryBaby type wah that I liked - the new 'classic' sounds OK, but the build quality's poor.

And I don't like wahs that are festooned w/dials, knobs and switches, so that shelves many of the boutique brands.

Ironically, my favorite wahs are both made at the same factory that does the Dunlops; The Vox 847's got the right tone and sweep for Hendrix and Cream tunes, but needs to be modded for true-bypass. The Budda Bud-Wah's also got that traditional sound and feel, but seems to work better w/hi-gain amps than the old Vox. I've got both on my board.

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I think the classic is a steal at $100. As far as the build quality goes, sure you can't drop it off of a second story balcony and expect it to work afterwards, but neither will most other stuff. The only trouble areas are the input and output jacks attached to the circuit board--yank hard on either cable connection and more than likely problems will arise. On the other hand, maybe it's time musicians started treating and seeing their effects for what they are--sensitive electronic devices.

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I was in the same situation a while back. The Budda wah ended up being the winner after trying a bunch of others. That Morley switchless is nice, but the tone isn't there.

Good luck.

10. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

I really like the Budwah as well. It knocked my VOX right off my pedal board. Great vintage sound just right for the classic rock my band does.

11. mignano

mignano Supporting Member

I have an Area 51 kit in my Crybaby, and its a bit uhmmm... well... "skanky" sounding, but it kicks major ass

(by "skanky" i mean that it may be a bit too raunchy and whorish for some gentlemen :) ) ... its pretty much straight up vintage Crybaby tone

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Budda Wah. Jeff Bober put a scope on several old wahs years back, and came up with a great inductor design. I've been using 'em for years

peace,

jb