Wah suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    Can anyone give me some recomendations on a wah that can do the vintage thing to the modern thing, all the while working great for clean to mid overdrive to high gain? Also one that works well with both single coils and humbuckers?

I was thinking of another RMC (currently own the pic). Mainly the Wizard or the RMC-3. But, I've been reading that the Wizard wah does'nt have much treble in the sweep which would kinda rule out the vintage thing like the pic wah does. And I read that the Wizard handles gain the best so that would mean the RMC-3 is still only good for mostly cleaner applications?

To give some examples, I would like to do Hendrix thing, SRV, Slash, Zak Wylde, and I really dig Henry Garza's wah tone. Kinda dirty, with a nice touch snarl and nastiness to it. I like crisspy clean funky wah stuff too, along with reggae.

Thanks!

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

The RMC3 is very versatile and can cover all of those styles.

3. ArcNSpark

ArcNSpark Member

Might not be a popular choice cause it don't fall into the
    boutique category but I love my Morley Power Wha.

Has the wider sweep. Works well with high gain. Nice adjustable clean
    boost. Find it easier to be subtle, more fine control. Bypass
    tone sound as good as anything I've heard. Seems to be very well made.

Honestly the most happy I've been with a Wha. After avoiding them for yrs because they just didn't seem to get the tones I wanted in my setup.
    Although to be honest there are many I haven't tried.

Not a trad choice but worth checking out.

4. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

Ibanez WD7 Weepin' Demon. Extremely versatile and flexible. True bypass, nearly every aspect of its operation can be adjusted to suit your needs. SOunds great clean, light od to heavy gain. $99

5. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I've got to throw my .02 in on the Budda wah (the purple one). I also have a V847 and a GCB95. My brother has an RMC1. I think the Budda has the best overall versatility and clarity in that it sounds really good clean and dirty. I have also tried these next to the Killer Wail pedal from Tech 21 (sans amp), and it sounds smoother and not as harsh. It's also one of those tough ?'s you ask. Everybody has an opinion on what works best with their guitar/amp. Pick up a wah in the emporium at a reasonable price. If you don't like it, the nice thing is that you have a captive audience who appreciates good quality gear just waiting to buy. Then move on to something else or just list it to trade.

I picked up my Budda for $100 in the box. The deals are out there, just be patient.
    [​IMG]

6. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!
    I'm starting to think instead of trying to find an all in one wah that does it all, I should keep using the Pic for the vintage tones, 60's, 70's, Hendrix, Zep, SRV, etc. And just find one that's good for the higher gain stuff of the 80's, which won't be as much as I need the Pic for, I think. :)

Guitardude5,
    Do you really use all three in your chain, or was that picture for comparisons between the three of them?

7. sage97

sage97 Member

I love my pic wah in all of my applications but its not the one for high gain stuff.

8. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I just hooked them up for comparison. Multiple wahs really don't work too well together (I had to turn on all three just for giggles). The Budda really does it for me of those three.

9. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Supporting Member

Howd they all sound together?

10. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Budda Bud-Wah was my favorite when I was into wah. Vox Clyde is nice too.