wah switch problem...help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by afterburner, Jun 20, 2006.

1. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I just got an almost new 535Q wah off the *bay and there's a slight problem with the switch. Turning the wah on is no problem but when I turn the pedal off, there's no sound. The switch doesn't fully click or something like that so my signal doesn't go through. I don't know what exactly is the problem. When I use my hand to turn it on and off to test it it's no problem but when I'm playing and use my foot I run into this problem.

it might be that I'm not stepping hard enough but the 535Q is replacing my other Dunlop crybaby so I expected them to feel the same.

anyone have experience with this? I don't know if changing the switch would help.

2. changeling

changeling Member

i have the same problem with my vox v848..anyone know what's up?
    r

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It may be a bad switch, but it's also possible it's not adjusted quite perfectly. The precise setting on these can be extremely fussy, and they don't all come from the factory set quite the same. It's controlled by the height of the switch in the body, which determines how far it's pressed down by the treadle when you stand on it, against the pressure of the rubber stop... if that makes sense :). Too light and you'll accidentally switch the pedal off when wah'ing, too stiff and it may not fully click.

To adjust it to make it less stiff, loosen the nut on the outside, then move down the one on the inside (towards the switch casing) about half a turn. Retighten the outer nut (holding the switch to stop it turning) and see if it works better now. If it's still not quite right, try another half turn.

4. afterburner

thanks!! I will try that!!

5. afterburner

ok I tried it.... it didn't help. the switch is just faulty. now I can turn on the wah with no problems (just like before) but I cannot turn it off. When I turn it off the signal is just cut off unless I kind of wiggle the switch (with my fingers).

anyone knows who can fix this?? I appreciate any help given. thanks.

6. afterburner

bump.... does no one have any helpful info?

7. afterburner

um yeah I know that's the option.... thanks. I guess I sound quite silly. I was hoping someone would recommend a person to fix this.

I'm in the Southern CA area.... anyone know a good tech who will fix this?

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Anyone who can solder can replace the switch.

9. Creamy

Creamy Member

If the switch is sticking, try dousing it with electrical contact cleaner. You can get this from a store like Radio Shack. Through the straw that comes with the can, spray into the switch while pressing and releasing the switch with you finger, over and over. Sometimes gunk builds up and causes the switch to stick. You may need to spray the switch more than once. Be sure not to be to soak the entire pedal. There is some good gunk on some of the other parts.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I'll second the electrical cleaner. If that doesn't work, you gotta replace the switch. It's not that hard the problem is getting a switch locally. I have to order mine online for my pedals.

Scott

11. alderbody

alderbody Member

Here's another take on your problem...

If it's a DPDT switch with True Bypass wiring you should check the wire that actually does the TB thing.

The DPDT switch has 3 double rows of leads.
    For TB operation the leads of first or the last row (depends on how you look at it) should be connected to each other.
    If this wire is broken then you shouldn't get any sound when the pedal is bypassed.

Re-solder and you should be good to go.

but is it indeed a DPDT switch?...

good luck