Wah thoughts

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sinner, May 12, 2006.

1. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

Can anyone suggest a new Wah for me? I want something new that sounds old, has the True Bypass and Buffers, for the improved features.

I have a Fulltone Clyde, excellent pedal, but doesn't "feel" quite right for me. I had a Picture Wah, another top choice for many, but didn't hear that good old squishy squishy vocal sound I'l looking for.

I like the old classic recordings of Cream, Hendrix, and for a newer reference I like the Andy Powell tone of Wishbone Ash (maybe it was his twin guitar partner on Wah?).

Been thinking about maybe the Keeley Vox or Keeley CryBaby. Any thoughts?

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

ohh, that is tough only because both of those wah's are voived to get that tone. Have you tried possibly putting a boost or a compressor before the wah. I find adding volume to a wah is a good thing as it can cut better. I prefer the Fulltone Deluxe over everything, but also appreciate the Wizard for what it is.. although I went through two.

3. drolling

drolling Member

I know this' pretty pedestrian compared to the pedals you've been using, but I really like the plain vanilla VOX 847 for Cream/Hendrix wah tones. I actually prefer it to their newer "McCoy" model for traditional wah sounds.

Of course I've tricked mine out w/a DP/DT switch (absolutely essential for this old 'tone-sucking' design) and a FoxRox booster kit to cut thru' my Octavia & FuzzFace clones.

Another one I really like is the Budda Bud-Wah. It also has that 'old-school' vibe (and a very solid build), but it also seems to work well w/modern hi-gain amps. As this pedal's already true-bypass, I've left mine bone stock.

And these pedals are cheap and readily available for demoing in most music stores.

4. peequin

peequin Member

Try an Teese RMC-3. Great Wah.

I'm in the market for the Fulltone Clyde Wah, If you want to sell it, PM me.

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I have a Picture Wah - I like it but I find it could be a bit more vocal...

So I ordered an Area 51... should be a great A/B.

6. fatback

fatback Member

Pro-Analog, Supa-Quack by a mile!:dude

...but you probably could of guessed I'd say that by my recent thread, (and vid) on the subject. ;)

7. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Yep, that or a Teese WOF will get you what your looking for IMO.

8. DK207

DK207 Member

I love my Area51 wah, lots of quack and very easy to assemble. Best bang for the $$. I have yet to try a Teese, so I can't compare them....yet!

9. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I know your Clyde doesn't feel right to you, but I love my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. I love having the three voicing options, plus a volume control to drive my OD pedals harder.

10. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

I've heard a lot of good things about the Budda wah.

My '70s Thomas Organ Crybabby w/TDK inductor (add a true bypass switch) is "IT" for me. I haven't heard or played one better.

11. Don L

Don L Member

Another vote for Teese WOF wah!

12. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I guess I'm not even gonna get close with a new CryBaby even with mods like the Keeley CryBaby?

13. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

From my experience it's hit or miss with new Crybaby pedals. Some sound really good, others are crap. There are serveral mods on the 'net and different replacement inductors and pots. It's fun to experiment and see what tone you can get.

I did a mod for a friend who had an old Thomas Organ Crybaby (older than mine - had the stack of dimes inductor which is supposed to be the "magic" inductor from that area). I put in a true bypass and changed 4 resistors (vocal, louder/more bass, mid shift, and gain mods) - I also adjusted the pot/rocker to roll off the percing treble - it helped the tone out a lot - he really likes it now.

If you already have a crybaby, try some mods - a few resistors will be cheaper than a new pedal. Depending on the Crybaby model you have, I'd install a true bypass switch - (only after making mods - no need to waste money on a switch for a wah pedal that ain't "getting it" for ya).

14. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I think the Crybaby Classic is a fine wah, especially for $100. It does the Hendrix, Santana, Cream tones quite well.

15. TDavis

TDavis Member

+1 for the Landgraff Wah,...but that being said, if I couldn't have my Landy.... I'd use a Budda. I bought one as a "fill in" wah while John was building mine, and found that it was more to my "taste", than others I've tried.