Wah wah opinions needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59Vampire, Mar 24, 2006.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

?Im looking for a wah. My fiurst inclination is to go boutique Teese/Fulltone but thats the cork sniffer in me. It needs to be able to work well with humbuckers and all types of gain. I like Zakk, Clapton, classic stuff, so im all over the place. The wylde pedal intrigues me but im not sur eif it is a one trick pony. The Tech 21 Killer wail appeals to me because i love Tech 21 amps but i nver heard anything about it. So guys tell me about your wah and why you like it. :angel

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I don't think the current mass produced ones stack up. MAYBE the Budda. Make sure whatever you get has true bypass and possibly power tap too.

The best sounding wah I've owned was a Teese RMC1 that was custom tuned for a vintage type sound. It still screamed with high gain and didn't get scritchy with a clean sound either. I was a damn fool to trade that one away...

I have an old Crybaby that sounds really good, but it has a scratchy pot. I need to fix this one. I also have a current Vox 847, that I think sounds like doo doo.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I have played a couple models of Teese, and I own the Fulltone Clyde. You can't go wrong with any of these - great sound, superior build quality.

I also have a HomeBrew Electronics Medicine Bawl on my backup board. It runs much less, like around $150. It's got the classic Vox sound, which is adjustable via an internal trim pot. It is also true bypass, something the old Vox didn't have. It plays well with other peds, particularly the Subdecay Blackstar distortion.

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I've owned an Original Crybaby, a 535Q and now I have a Budda. The 535Q is by far the most versatile but both of the Dunlops are much harsher than the Budda. I rarely use wah and dislike harshness so the Budda does it for me. Picked it up used on eBay for $115 shipped.

5. TDavis

TDavis Member

+1 Budda...best all around for the buck!!

6. 59Vampire

7. Madsman

Madsman Member

True Bypass and GOOD SOUND for cheap: Hiwatt. There were some bad reviews on HC, but I know too many people who use them and get killer tone out of them. It's a good pedal, and I think it goes new for around $90. The best USED value is the Budda, IMO, but it sounds better on gain than on clean.

All that said, I use the SilverMachine which is NOT true bypass, but is not a tone-sucker. It is the most flexible wah on the market, moreso than the RMC3 or the MelloWah mods, etc. Sounds awesome, and works in the coolest possible way... but it's crazy expensive (RMC3 expensive). I arrived at the decision after trying a bunch of wahs, and getting a bunch of opinions from players I know.

8. 59Vampire

i have never heard of the Silver Machine. Do they have a website? Anyone use the Killer Wail?

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yep! An especially mediocre one! http://www.silvermachine.de/

10. 59Vampire

wow looks killer 325 is a bit pricey can i have a super detailed analysis? lol

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have a Teese Picture Wa - great, warm tone!!!
    Also use a Fulltone Clyde - same result.

Both are great Wa's - the Teese is just a bit warmer, but the Fulltone
    sounds fantastic.

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Dude, look at the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe or an RMC. For buckers the wizard is cool, but not as versitile as the fulltone deluxe. The RMC3 is supposed to be the jack of all wahs, but I don't always have the patience to tune it.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I have owned the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, the Teese Picture Wah, I still own a Budda, and I own the Zakk Wylde wah.

Here's my take: Fulltone is the smoothest; Teese is the most vintage sounding, lots of midrange "vomit sound" like a classic wah; Budda is bright, does well with buckers and high gain amps; Zakk Wylde has a short throw to the sweet spot, based on vintage Vox tone, but not as much vintage-ness (?) as the Teese.

The ZW wah is a bargain, I just got one last weekend and I like it a lot.

I wound up never using anything but the Jimi setting on the Fulltone. I liked having the other choices, but for some reason I didn't use them on any of my recording sessions. Its only drawbacks are these: It doesn't quack as much as a crybaby, and the pedal throw is long, but the sweet spot is pretty large. Good wah for a wide variety of uses. Not sensitive to induced hums from wall warts and other stuff you sometimes find on a pedal board.

Budda - As I said, great for gainy amps/buckers. I liked mine with a Mesa Tremoverb, and my son now uses it with his new Stiletto. Again, nothing to adjust on the wah, one good trick like most wahs. Not sensitive to hums and other wall wart anomalies.

Teese - Very authentic, vintage Thomas Organ Co. sound. Great wah, does one trick extremely well. Sensitive to wall wart interference. I found I had to put the power strip on my old pedalboard far from the wah. If you have something that doesn't use a wall wart, it's nice and quiet. When I switched to an Aspect Juice Box, it was fine.

Wylde - Kind of like a tweaked Vox. Bassy and ballsy at the bottom of pedal travel, good quack, short and easy to find sweet spot. Like the Teese, there isn't anything to tweak and screw around with, so I'd say it does one trick well. Works better with my Two-Rock than the Budda or Fulltone. Noticed no problems with other pedals and the power supply I use.

The Wylde was half the price of the others. Rang my bargain hunter bell. ;) If you like vintage wahs (I do) you will find that you simply can't beat the Teese with a stick. The Fulltone is an excellent wah in another direction. Budda is something I'd go gainy with. Hope this helps.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I have a Teese RMC1 I, use it with a tele and a tweed amp. It is more voiced for single coils ,but does well with HB's too. It is a great warm,vocal wah..His others are great as well.
    A guy I jam with has a Buddha wah ,he puts a PRS through it and it's a killer sound too..
    Either of those are sweet wahs to my ears..

15. somedude

somedude Member

I use a Dunlop Zakk Wylde.

Short throw, adjustable clutch, works well with hums and gain. Because of the narrow sweep it doesn't go deep enough to get muddy or high enough to get too harsh when used with gain, and the heel down position doesn't turn to mud like the older Dunlop wahs I've used, but if you're looking for something that does the clean whacka whacka stuff you might want something with more range to it's sweep. Stock, it does bleed some highs so if that bothers you adding a TB switch is in order.

If you're like me and you prefer the cocked wah sound the narrow sweep and adjustable clutch also makes it easier to find your solo tone and park it.

16. 59Vampire

Wow these are great reviews. Thanks to all. Im really confused!!! What i liked about my old crybaby before it died was the long throw where the vox(when i had it) was very short. Sofar it looks like Fulltone and Buddha. I still have checkmout that Killer Wail though.

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

18. Madsman

Madsman Member

Well, they go for $285-ish, so the same ballpark as the RMC3. There's a lot of detail on the web site about what it does... basically, I think it's where the Zakk wah got its stuff... the way it activates with your foot on the treadle, and turns off when your foot is off... perfect. The Bad Horsie was one of the wahs this one replaced for me, and the thing I like most about it is that it's not spring loaded. I didn't like how you had to end phrases with the wah in heel down on the BH2.

There's an "always on" stomp switch, a Q selector and a frequency selector. 12 positions between them, and then there's a toggle from classic to modern mode, so 24 settings in all. Some of the sweeps are almost phaser like, and some of them are very standard. Most of them cover more ground than you need, which was disconcerting at first, until I found A). one of the positions was perfect for me and B). the wider sweeps have actually been useful when you need a sound that goes even further out than a normal wah. Nothing is worse than a wah that doesn't "get there" enough.

A lot of info on the crappy site. I'm very happy with the thing.

19. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Area 51 - among the best for sure
    Killer Wail is fun pedal, mixed reviews, but still good choice

20. Caprica

Caprica Supporting Member

Xotic Wah

Very tweakable. Built in output buffer, so you can put it after a fuzz without getting feedback. Small footprint.

Katzenkönig likes this.