Wah Wah Woes - need advice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phoghat, Feb 21, 2012.

1. phoghat

phoghat Member

Can one of you fine folks tell me what wah pedals have the best inductor shielding? I have the all-too-common problem of my wah (BBE) picking up 60-cycle from my pp2+. I can move the pedal away from the power supply, but I also have a Jester on the board that causes the same problem with the wah (although much less so). Do garden-variety Crybabys or Vox wahs have better inductor shielding, or am I screwed? Leaving on tour tomorrow and just want something that ain't noisy. There are no boutique stores where I live, so I'm relegated to GC and SA big-box hell. I might be able to find a Fulltone, but probably gonna have to be a Crybaby/Vox scenario.I won't be using the wah enough on this tour to get all cork-sniffy about it, I just need something that will get the job done and not hum like hell. Thanks!

2. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

All crybabys and vox's are going to have inductors, and they all have the same kind of shell so you're going to have to probably shield your pedal (maybe the inside of the shell?) with something like this: http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html#274

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

4. phoghat

phoghat Member

So the Fulltones have better inductor shielding?

5. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

If money is no object, I'd consider a Roger Mayer Vision Wah. Not sure what type of inductors are used but from my experience, it's very quiet- I've never had a hum problem with it. It's the best sounding wah I've ever owned as well.

6. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Well, I can't claim to be a technical expert, but I think Mike Fuller claims his wah inductor is better shielded than other manufacturer's.

I've had a Fulltone wah on my board for years (with my power supply right next to it) and had no problems with noise. I even have my wah daisy-chained with 4 other pedals, with no noise issues.

I've tried a lot of different wahs, but I think Fulltones are just great.

7. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

do you use any wall warts plugged in on the board anywhere?

8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

He was using MuMetal shields for the inductor for a while. Not sure if he's still using them.

9. phoghat

phoghat Member

PP2+ for everything except the Kingsley Jester which I plug into the convenience outlet. The hum is there with our without the Jester plugged in. It's definitely coming from the PP2. I've seen a few threads about this, but I haven't seen anything about a specific wah brand that is shielded against this except potentially the Fulltone mentioned above. This is driving me batty.

10. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Try different placements away from the board/power supply.

11. Structo

Structo Member

My Ernie Ball Wah is super quiet and very dependable.

I bought two Crybaby Wahs and both got a scratchy pot within 6 months.

12. muffinman

muffinman Member

The Fulltone Clyde had (maybe still uses) MuMetal shielding around the inductor, largely negating susceptibility to this problem.

Real McCoy Custom (Teese) wahs have been using the same shielding on their wahs since... 2007? Not sure, but all current/recent production wahs have it. I have an old 2004 RMC3LE that I'm sending into Geoffrey Teese, today actually, to get the old halo inductor replaced with his new karmaflux inductor, which is shielded.

Sounds like your BBE, as well as many other mass-produced wahs, don't shield the inductor and are susceptible to hum from proximity to transformer-based power supplies. I suggest either moving your wah & power supply away from each other, replacing the PP2+ with a 1SPOT/DC Brick, or modifying or replacing your wah.

13. phoghat

phoghat Member

Thanks for all the advice. Might pull the trigger on a Fulltone today - hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, I'll just grit my teeth and put the wah on the floor. Yeesh - they can put a man on the moon, but can't keep a PP2+ from causing hum in a wah pedal. I'm contacting NASA.

14. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

The Fulltone Clyde probably has the best shielding out there of any Wah and it's 500mh.

15. chervokas

chervokas Member

The extra shielding might help, but it might not, worth a try. But a wah is just a great antenna for that kind of induced hum. You may just have to keep it away from the power supply's transformer whichever wah you use. Can't really mount it right on top of the PP2+. The same is probably true of the tubes in the Jester. A switch mode power supply like the One Spot is not going to be any better, and probably worse in terms of hum induced by proximity to the supply from EMI/RFI compared to a linear power supply w/ a toroidal xformer with will have a smaller field of such radiation. The high speed switching in a switch mode supply throws off a lot of such potentially-noise inducing radiation.