Wait for FM3 or buy an Axe-III?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Personally, I think if you can legit afford the III you should just do it. It'll be a blast, and by the time the FM3 comes out, you'll have a really good sense of how Fractal-ness works for you, and how the differences between those two units will play out. At that point if you're willing to trade the small form factor for what the FM3 doesn't have, sell the III, which won't be hard, it's a great unit. It's hard to see how getting the III could be a wrong move if you've got the cake.

2. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

"Hey TGP... What car do you guys recommend to fit all my modelers?"

:facepalm

madmarcus1960 and metropolis_4 like this.
  3. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Yes it will. Could you do that for me? :)

Oh please :rolleyes:

First, you're taking this WAY too seriously.

Second, I'm very happy, and it's all about the music. Does that mean I'm not allowed to have fun with gear and try new things? I wasn't aware those things were intrinsically bound together. I didn't know that when it was all about the music it meant you're not allowed to ever look at any new gear or have any fun talking about gear anymore. Someone must have forgotten to tell me

LordByron likes this.
  4. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

I second what Dave Merrill is saying.

Get on the FM3 waitlist (if not already) and get the III now. You can use the III and explore how it sounds and everything it can do just to see if you even like the FAS stuff in the III while you are waiting on the FM3 to start shipping.

I have a III now and really like it, better than Helix (which I still have) or the powered Kemper (which I sold) or my old 90W Mark V (which I still miss).

Every week I find something in the III that makes me appreciate how diverse the amp sounds and stock IRs are in this thing and how you can craft them to fit your environment. Like all these things it just takes patience but there are so many ways in the III to tweak and shape the output.

For me it’s the ultimate end game device and I think a FM3 may be able to do everything I want and keep the FAS goodness I’ve come to appreciate. If so I’ll sell the III and pocket the change. If you find the same thing you can sell the III, buy the FM3 when your number comes up and have funds left over for a foot controller etc. or savings.

TL;DR
    Get the III now, see if you like it, wait on the FM3, sell the III for a FM3 if you like the FAS approach and a FM3 will do what you need.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. Kutch

Kutch Member

lol You dont have a clue "how im taking it". You thinking my post was all about you is pretty typical though.

Hey want for toys all you wish, its no skin off my back.

6. Ejay

Ejay Member

Offcourse you would use axe3 features. If you would own a racecar you would drive it now and then. But would that counterbalance the time and money you spend owning it?
    You also own a helix?..although every unit has its strengths...as soon as you own multiple it becomes counter productive imo. It takes time to learn how a unit responses, get your levels right, control it on details, etc. That takes gigging it a lot.
    So to me....choosing 1 rig out of 2, beats owning 2 even If you make the wrong choice.
    So play that helix and replace it with the fm3 If you must.

Guitardave likes this.
  7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

IF you can afford a III and are willing to research and find a great MIDI controller to perform live I suggest the III. You already stated you have some patches that "could" require more than you can do with the FM3. Let's be honest folks, the FM3 is going to sound great and be fantastic for some but in many cases - even mine if I'm honest - it's at least ONE footswitch away from being perfect.
    I can' really afford a III but all the hemming and hawing about it being a PITA to lug is not totally founded if you think about it... 4 space rack (preferably rolling like I have) with power conditioner than a SINGLE CABLE out to your MIDI controller (definitely want to use phantom MIDI power) is pretty damn sweet! If you have FRFR behind you that can plug into your rack conditioner (along with other stuff like iPhone charger, etc.) plus your OUTS are that much behind/closer to a clean back of stage FOH run.
    And if you use wireless you literally have a single cable onstage (MIDI controller to III).
    There have definitely been gigs where my AX8 power cable wasn't long enough to stretch to back stage and that was a PITA.

We are in for a long wait fellas, that is clear.
    And the III in the studio is probably un-matchable and could easily be the brains of your studio rig.

metropolis_4 likes this.
  8. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

The III isn’t just a budget decision. I have the cash to get one now, and I’ve thought if it long and hard. but a rack device just won’t work for me. It has to be the FM3 or nothing; the III just isn’t a viable option. I need a floor processor.

9. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

I have the III and absolutely love it.....as a STUDIO piece. The cost, combined with large form factor and no readily available/logically priced Fractal foot controller, make me not want to use it in a live setting.

I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 but don't expect it for months ( It's not even on Fractal's website yet) In the meantime, I'm using an HX Stomp which I will then sell once the FM3 arrives.

10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I believe standard protocol is to sell your current modeler, pick up an HX Stomp, and use that until the FM3 is launched.

11. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Get the III.

metropolis_4 likes this.
  12. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I don’t understand some of the flack about owning more than one modeler?

How many guys own more than one electric guitar? :dunno

One thing about the III is that it does seem like it would be easy to move if I decided I wanted to switch to the FM3 form later. I kind of like that idea of getting what is available now to get into FAS and get a feel for whether I like what they do or not.

I had been all ready to buy one, but then the FM3 was released and it made me rethink.

Also I’ve got a ton of summer gigs coming up and I’m going through that thing where I just want to blow up my whole rig now and change everything for these shows! :)

BigBadOrange and PepAlmeida like this.
  13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

To me there's two main ways that you can look at modelers (or probably any guitar gear for that matter): toys or tools.

For the former, modelers are something that you play with for enjoyment. You get a kick out of all the different amps and effects, different functionality, enjoy the challenge of getting it to work for you, like to talk about it with others. Multiple modelers are fun to jump between or even to collect, just like a lot of gadgets and hobbies.

For the latter, modelers are just a means to an end. You find whatever works for you, or whatever fits your budget, get it working for your situation, and stop worrying about it. Multiple modelers would be a distraction or a waste of time because it's getting in the way of want you actually want to do, which is play guitar.

Of course there's shades of grey in between the two and they're both perfectly valid mindsets.

Personally for me, I found that having multiple modelers makes me more likely to play WITH them and to compare them rather than to play guitar. Same thing with guitars; the more that I have sitting out, the more likely I am to flip between them rather than to sit down and learn a song or work through some lessons.

Now, regarding the specific devices you mentioned, it really comes down to how you think you will use it and how patient you want to be. If the FM3 or if the Axe III + footswitch is PERFECT for you, then I would get those specific devices. If you're somewhere in between (i.e. you wanted more switches than the FM3 or don't think you need the full III unit), then it may be worth picking up the III used and seeing if you can downsize rather than going the other way around.

Personally, I feel like the FM3 would be a great unit with the exception that a lot of people are going to want additional switching. I'm inclined to either go for the III or wait and see if they announce an FM6 or FM8 down the road.

tjontheroad likes this.
  14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I agree with the notion of distractions from actually playing. But I disagree with this sentiment. I don't see owning multiple modelers as any different from owning multiple guitars, or multiple tube amps. Owning multiple doesn't mean they're toys, they're still tools, you're just giving yourself a bigger toolbox to use.

Different modelers have their different strengths, and their different uses for me:

• When I need a quick simple rig that doesn't involve a lot of switching, I use my HX Stomp because it's small and portable, and does what I need it to do
    • When I play bass or need higher quality acoustic tones, I use my laptop rig because I like the tones I get out of it better than anything else for those instruments
    • When I need complex switching of lots of different tones, I use my Helix floor because it has amazing I/O and routing abilities
    • When I need to switch quickly between electric, acoustic, and nylon guitars I use my Boss GP-10 because that's what it does best

I have multiple modelers so I can choose the best one for the gig. Some gigs I use a combination of more than one. I had a gig last year where I used the Helix, plus my laptop rig, plus my GP-10, and used the MIDI sent from the Helix plus Ableton as a bridge to control all three at once.

Good thoughts :aok

15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Well that's my two cents from owning multiple monitors and multiple guitars. To me, they become more like toys that I can pull out and play with and compare and tinker and what not. And they do distract me from playing. Sometimes it's more fun to tinker with the gear than it is to play to be honest. And unless you need to make a living from music, do whatever is the most fun.

Guitardave and JiveTurkey like this.
  16. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

If the 3 is so great why not get rid of the helix? Just curious why alot of guys claim one is better yet dont seem to want to get rid of the others in favor of it.

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

FOMO

If you read around, there are plenty of anecdotes of people who switched from one unit to another. It's usually due to a limitation or it not fitting their workflow. I've seen it in all directions too...from Helix to Fractal for better amp/effect quality, from Fractal to Kemper for a simpler workflow, from Kemper to Helix for better UI and adjustability, etc.

For me usually I want to compare one against the other and be able to determine which one I prefer, then sell the other unit. Of course sometimes they end up sticking around and the other unit never gets sold.

18. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes you just have to get off the pot.

19. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

They're like Chinpokomons.

Hank Habanero and hippietim like this.
  20. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Inspiration struck and I made a decision!

I realized I could use the money I was going to spend on the III for a new MacBook to upgrade my laptop rig a bit.

I've got a new quad-core MacBook Pro and a UA Arrow on the way :)

Staying on the wait list for the FM3, but now I'm thinking I might replace the HX Stomp instead of the Helix once I get the FM3.

stratzrus likes this.