Waiting on Sparkle Drive: What can it Do For Me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Got a sparkle drive on the way! For the price thought I'd check it out! Who uses it for leads and how does it sound at gig levels? Is the clear knob really a great feature for tone mix?

Mike

2. thewex

thewex Member

i got one a little over a month ago. i think its a great pedal. i love being able to blend a little clean amp sound into the classic TS OD sound. gives it just a little crunch and authenticity :) i use it as my low gain OD, and another TS9 (analogman 808 mod) for higher gain.

3. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

There's a lot that can be done with this pedal as any of the standard Tube Screamer mods can be applied. The clean blend is a nice feature.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the clean blend is a great feature... makes it very versatile and great for lo-gain sounds. To me the tube screamer circuit is a little dissapointing though. Send it in to keeley and you've got a true monster pedal though.

5. blueline

blueline Member

I have a Keeley one as well as a regular one, GET THE KEELEY MOD!!! You will love it. You can use this pedal in a great number of ways from a boost to pre drive to a full out solid state distortion. The blend knob is what makes this an amazing pedal. It allows the pedal to be used in a parallel mode which is great with compressors as well.

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Keeley mod is a must!

I got my Keeley Sparkle Drive sounding best thrugh my AC30HW cranked as loud as it could right before breakup. Sounded killer! Still has TS tone but more grit and dynamics of an amp. I blend in a little clean to give the tone a little girth.

Great pedal and super inexpensive compared to a lot of the stuff talked about in here.

Another one to try that is very similar is the NOC3 Pure Drive. To me an improvment towards sounding more amp-like compared to the Keeley Sparkle Drive. Also has a little more versatility with the mini toggle to adjust different clipping and mode settings from clean boost to more compresson and saturation.

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

I agree with the other comments, the SD is a good idea but the distortion side of the pedal is weak. You can probably get it modded much more cheaply from someone besides Keeley.

8. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I love my sd...sounds awesome into a clean fender, like most ts type od's do. ANd is also awesome at jacking up an already hot marshall...

9. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I think I will play it a bit and then send it over to Mr. Keeley. How does it stack with say a Blues Devil or Reissue TS9?

Mike

10. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

11. burner

burner Member

Hmm...
    I hadn't thought of that, but a "silver mod" Sparkle drive just might be the ticket.

I'm *still* really interested in the Sparkle Drive but have a question or two....

About the "clean blend"....

-As I understand it, it blends a clean undistorted, unboosted, raw guitar signal in with the drive...is that correct?

-Also, about the 'blend', at the control's highest setting, what is the mix ratio between "clean" and the affected tone?

Thanks

12. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Not for sure, others may know this!

Mike

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Used one with a '95 Blues Deville 2x12 (speakers upgraded) and really like it.

Still have the SD and it's one of my favorite TS influenced pedals.

Compared to a reissue TS9, night and day improvement over the reissue. The reissue TS9 just doesn't get it for me.

14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Question 1: Yes

Question 2: At the control's highest setting, it's all clean, so it makes a good clean boost, too.