Wall of Mesa

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by georgestrings, Mar 20, 2015.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I took this pic a little while ago:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Mesa Boogie 400 is perhaps the best Bass Amp ever made! - Except the 400+ might be a little bit louder

3. georgestrings

Yeah, I specifically chose the 400 over the 400+ because I didn't want to deal with 12 power tubes... My 400 has KT88s and a bias pot, so it'll get plenty loud enough for my needs - it probably gets pretty close to 400+ power as it's currently set up... The M-pulse 600 next to it has way more power than I've ever needed, and I've played in some really loud 2 guitar bands...

- georgestrings

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I had to get the 400+ after I Recorded several bands who were using them. I am Not much a fan of DI Bass tones. I much prefer the Mic on the Cab sound, esp when doing the final mix.
    My Recording Studio has a large live room, so those extra watts can come in handy.

5. theroan

theroan Member

The Mpulse, very underrated. I had the Venture for a while, HEAVY!

6. georgestrings

Yeah, I've owned ALOT of bass amps, but that M-pulse 600 is one that I've never considered selling since the day I got it... IIRC, it's rated at a little over 600 watts, but feels even more powerful than that - and between using the Gain knob, switchable semi-para EQ and Compressor, it'll cop a ton of sounds...

- georgestrings

7. s2y

s2y Member

Nice rig. Although if y'all want something heavy, I had a Peavey TKO115 about 10 or so years ago. Sounded fine, but entirely too damn heavy. No casters and not designed to be carried by 2 people. Hated lugging it.

8. georgestrings

Thanks - and yeah, I gigged an old Peavey Combo 300 for years - it always got the job done, but weighed a ton... I gotta laugh at the single top strap/handle they had - it would be an impressive man that could easily carry one of those around like that, lol...

My other 2 amps are Genz-Benz - Streamliner 900 and ShuttleMax 12.0 - to say they're lighter than the Mesas is quite an understatement...

- georgestrings

9. s2y

s2y Member

Gigging it and practices in basements would make me curse like a drunken sailor with tourettes. I was so happy to get rid of it. Went with Ampeg. All the pieces were lighter and could be carried by 2 people if needed as well as moved with casters.

10. georgestrings

I heard that - one band I played with rehearsed in a 2nd story flat with a narrow stairway up - that sucked with the dreaded Combo 300... I ended up using a bunch of different Peavey heads and cabs after the combo - then G-K, until Genz-Benz and Mesa... I owned a bunch of Ampeg cabs, but never cared for any of their amps other than the SVT and V4B...

- georgestrings

11. s2y

s2y Member

I injured my back thinking about that.

12. georgestrings

13. crackbass

crackbass Member

That, sir, is a wall of awesome.

Did everyone have a combo 300? I think I have actually had 2 in my life.

14. georgestrings

Thanks - It was even more awesome cab-wise, until I sold my PH810...

I actually had two Combo 300s, also - they both worked quite well, too...

- georgestrings

15. georgestrings

This was before I got my Bass 400, and sold my PH810:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

Since I got my Walkabout I have stopped thinking about bass amps. It gets the sound, regardless of whether I play one of my single-coil or split-coil Precisions, the SR5 or Godin A5 fretless. I can dial in any pickups with its combination of parametric EQ and active and passive tone controls.

The only problem I EVER had was once when I left at the rehearsal space; some genius decided to try it out in my absence and "dimed" all the knobs! That's not how you get a good tone out of parametric EQ, needless to say.

17. georgestrings

Yeah, those Walkabouts are pretty sweet - I've come really close to buying one a few times, but figure my Streamliner 900 can cover alot of the same territory, with much more power available... If I needed it, I'd use an Empress para-EQ pedal with the Streamliner, but I've been good to go with it since putting a 5751 in the V1 slot... For grins, I've run a Tonehammer DI pedal into the power amp section of the Streamliner, and that works really well, too...

The main reason why I've passed on the Walkabout is that it just doesn't have enough juice for some of my band situations - although it would be really nice for the ones it could handle, though...

- georgestrings

18. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I'll know next week whether or not I like the Mesa sound enough to justify having just purchased a Strategy amp. I don't lack for amps and already had an iAmp 500, an iAmp 800, an Epifani 600 piccolo, a reissue Ampeg V4b and an Alebic F1X preamp with a Crown power amp. The Ampeg just can't do volumes beyond small club stuff and there is no way that I can carry an SVT at my age. Thus, the Mesa Strategy, at 49 pounds of 465 watts of tube power will, hopefully, be THE amp. We'll see!

19. georgestrings

Yeah, when I was looking for my "all-tuber", I had narrowed it down to the Mesa Bass 400 and Ampeg's SVTII(non-pro) - based on past experience, and wants/needs... but, I wanted one that was clean, yet not astromically priced - pretty tough parameters... It didn't break my heart that the 400 came up first - it's still right at 50lbs in an SKB rackcase - the SVTII would've been atleast 30lbs heavier... I'll probably still grab an SVP preamp, and run that thru the Mesa's power amp section when I want to "get my Ampeg on" - I'll bet it'll be pretty convincing...

I retubed my 400 with KT88s and had a bias pot added - it really made a difference, and from what I've read - the new Mesa's that are KT88 based are getting raves.... I'll be interested in your impressions after you check them out...

- georgestrings

20. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Well, I'm in deeper than I expected! I ordered a Strategy from a bass store but they sent me a Prodigy by accident....and I found that out yesterday when I opened the shipping box. I called the store to let them know and asked if they minded me taking the Prodigy for a spin before deciding if this would be acceptable as a choice.

My personal opinion. The amp sounded pretty bright and ordinary when I first turned it on. Being used to breaking in tube audio gear, I decided to play through the less-than-stellar sound and was glad I did. At 29 pounds and 250 tube watts, the Prodigy began sounding really good at about the 3 hour mark and, after a couple of more hours, seems to have settled in very nicely. My perception is that it has more punch than the Ampegs I've played through and a bit more articulation and an SVT or a V4B.

To cut to the chase, I bought the Prodigy AND liked it enough to also have them send me the Strategy that they messed up on. I guess that this pushes me into the Mesa camp. I really like the Ampegs but the Mesa amps I bought are much lighter and more powerful, plus they have some features that will be useful for me. Although I can get a tone that is similar to my V4B, I'd have to say that the Prodigy has its own sound. I can't say that the Mesa sounds better than the Ampeg or the other way around because it's a matter of preference. I can absolutely state that I fell in love with tubes again. Each of my iAmps and my other solid state amps sound nice, but nothing close to the feel I get when I play through tubes.