Wallace Abaddon review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fyrwyr, May 22, 2010.

1. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Since I can't get this amp off my mind I might as well post about my experience with the Wallace Abaddon 50 watt amp I experienced (again) at the last Motor City Amp Showcase on May 15th.

First of all the looks of this thing is classic-ally cool but with his own unique and killer logo and knobs to set it apart from the rest of the "Marshall crowd".

One feature I particularly thought was cool was the "drive" control which is great for dialing your signal level before hitting the gain section of the amp, you can get some different variations of tone just with that knob alone.

I played this amp (as usual) with Brian's trusty old '75 honey burst LP with a maple neck, the thing almost plays by itself and really sings.

What gets me excited the most about this amp is the unique character of the overdrive. Words that come to mind are "leathery", "Organic" and "inspiring".

Rarely do I get to play other builders amps that really do it for "me" the way this particular model does; right up my musical alley.

I would tend to use an amp like this for more of a mid-high gain setting mostly but it seems to be good below and above that gain level, I just tend to use less gain than I used to (old age??)

I keep telling Brian he needs to get this thing into the hands of Ty Tabor as I expect he would flip over it!!

I don't know if I should thank him or curse him for getting me so worked up over the Abaddon, hard to get that tone out of my head!

I have been scheming of a financial plan to get one in the near future:crazy

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

+1. I also played it at the Amp Showcase. The high gain tone retained the classic Marshall qualities, even at lower volumes... thick, raw and slightly grainy, with that searing upper-mid attack. Surprisingly, it is also capable of nice chimey clean tones. Great sounding amp.

3. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Thanks Joe, your description is excellent!

Fantastic amp design by a very cool dude;)

4. Dave

Dave Member

I was fortunate enough to share a room with Brian at the Motor City Amp Showcase. The Abaddon sounded awesome and the master volume works amazingly well. His more old-school Marshall clones really grabbed me too. Some of the best Marshall tones I have ever heard. His prices are not bad either. Somebody build this guy a website!

5. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

He needs a cooler site to match his super cool amps for sure;)

6. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I was supposed to do some reviews for him a year ago...not sure what happened. I hear good things.

He was very nice when we spoke and got me in touch with a marshall restoration guy....NOS parts for my superbass. Very helpful.

Still curious.

JD

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I heard one played by someone else once, it was very thick and dark. Is that the overall character, or just how it was set?

8. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

It was thick when I played it but not dark per se, I like thickness with detail in the highs but not brittle, and the Abaddon delivers that tone BIG TIME!

Jakaroo, give Brian a call, I'm sure he would like another review;)

9. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I agree Brian is a super nice guy and very talented!

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Brian just let me know I can use his personal Abaddon on the next recording session with my band Territorial Chant, I can't wait!!

Time to start saving my pennies!

11. Brian Wallace

Brian Wallace Member

WOW! What a cool thread. :beer

Thanks for the compliments and comments about the Abaddon.

MikeyG,

I wonder if your talking about the youtube clip, that was the second variation on this design and did get a bit muddy when played loud. I have since resolved this issue in it's third variation and this is the one that Bill is reviewing here.

Bill,

I would love to get one of these into Ty's hands just for the fact that I am such a fan of King's X that it would make my day just to see him try it out. Who could help me make this happen?

Jackaroo,

I sent you a PM on that review.

Anyway, thanks Bill, Joe and the rest of you for the kind words and comments. :band

12. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Our pleasure Brian, hats off to you for such an inspiring and uniquely voiced amp!:drool

I am dreaming of a single ended recording/bedroom version right now;)

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I heard one at the Tampa Tonest 4 years or so ago. Yes the youtube clip reminds of the tone I remember. Not muddy I don't think, but definitely beefy without the typical marshall upper mid thing. it's cool, unique.

14. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Brian loves it when I play King's X tunes through that amp, it is just awesome for that kind of stuff!:drool

15. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

It's great to hear Brian finally getting some press on his truly great sounding amps! I've been promoting the boy to anyone who will listen since bumping into his purple 45/100 that I did some demo clips on a long time ago at one of the Tampa Tonefests. The sound of that amp stood head and shoulders above all the other Marshall clones and was exactly what I felt an iconic Marshall should sound and fell like and prompted me to enlist his services to restore my beloved 73' 100wt which he brought back from the dead. The man has got "THE EAR" for iconic iron and thats what sets his stuff apart from all the other clones and has his Marstran trannies held in such high esteem by true conni-sewers of vintage Marshalls. I really enjoyed putting his amps in my 100 watt seminar last year at the Nashville Amp Expo because they were stellar and everybody could hear how well they stood up to the vintage ones. He'll be back again this year and we will definitely blaze them up with NO attenuation so everyone can bask in the browness of tones that eminate from them! Sarge of Creation Audio sure digs his Abaddon!:beer

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Sarge owns one??????

17. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Yep:dude

18. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Now I have EVEN MORE respect for Sarge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:aok

19. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Yeah, he had some piece of dreck JCM800 style clone that just didn't sound that great and kept smoking power tubes so I kept prodding him to check out Brian's stuff at last years show and once he did it was all over. I tested it out when it shipped and it sounded killer with his brand new custom shop Lester. Sarge is now a bonnfide RAWKER!!!:dude

20. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Hopefully, Wallace will be next to our room again this year so I can "wander" a bit and jam on the Abaddon again;)

Brian always digs it because we both love the old King's X tunes that I play through it every time I get a chance:dude