Wallmount Guitar Hangers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ReginaldBisquet, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I'm interested in picking up a couple of wall hangers for my instruments but wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on the brands. Essentially, is a $10 wall mount no different than a $23 wall mount?

Many thanks!

2. vendo

vendo Member

I don't profess to be an expert but when I bought mine, the prime consideration was how well they would mount to the wall so I could secure them to a stud. The Hercules ones looked good but they have this triangular hole pattern so only one of three will hit a stud. I picked up some no name Chinese imports that are solidly welded, all metal and have mounting holes one above the other (ie two screws will bite into the wall studs.

Something else I learned from a guitar store was to pick up these leather sleeve things that go over the foam hook (part that contacts the guitar neck). I have all Gibsons and was told that some foam rubbers will react with the nitrocellulose finish they use and damage it. The guy showed me what one of the hangers in his shop did to a Custom Shop Jimmy Page Les Page (one of the exclusive runs on 25 guitars) that had a $25K price tag on it. Ate the finish away right to the wood, which itself was discoloured. I'm guessing it you have Fenders or other guitars that use the poly-whatever finish its not an issue.

Anyway, thats as much as I know, hope it helps.

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Almost 20 years with $20 Off-The-Wall hangars with no issues to date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also use these fake fur hangar bras:

[​IMG]

4. goodwill559

goodwill559 Member

That's the same thing I look for in a wall hanger.

5. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

Spectacular room!!!!

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I made my own out of a long scrap piece of oak railing cut to length and some screw hangars that are normally used for tools in the garage. I cut the plastic off of them so as not to kill the nitro and put surgical tubing on them.

7. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

8. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Silver Supporting Member

I use four different types of hangers from String Swing and have no complaints whatsoever:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I had been checking out the Hercules holders but didn't realize I also needed some kind of covering over the hold arms. Makes sense. I want to hang my zhong ruan, laouta, shofar and an acoustic guitar... so the swivel head on the Hercules seems like an ideal spec.

Many thanks!

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Hercules stands (and wall hangers) are wonderful. I won't buy anything else anymore. I didn't have enough good stands for a while, and had my Tele sitting on a lesser stand at a gig. It fell offstage and landed neck-first on hard tile two feet down. Broke the nut - and if it had been a Gibson rather than a Telecaster, the headstock would surely have snapped. The money I spent on the repair would have paid for the three-guitar Hercules stand I wound up buying anyway.

11. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

12. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I have a few types of the String Swing brand hangers and have had no problems. They are a good company to work with.

I was suprized at home many products they offered when I forst checked them out.

13. dosmun

dosmun Member

14. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

Do I have to hit a stud or will mollys work?

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

16. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Depends on the weight of your guitars, and the quality of the wall you're going into.