Walls of Marshalls - how

Pick53766

So, in the old days when rock'n'roll was loud and we did no wear helmets when we went out with the rubbish bin bands would sport these huge, typically Marshall, stacks on the podium. Walls of those things. I saw Slayer one of those days and there were 30+ 4x12 Marshall cabs on the stage.

Of course, we know that today we can make way better sound with just one or two cabs and perhaps without a cab at all. Today's stages are mostly empty and while the change in style has something to do with it, it surely has technical reasons, too.

It always bothered me, however - how was the bloody thing WIRED? Did they use some kind of s split and ran the signal through 10 Mashall heads? Seems like a nightmare to me.
A small number of heads feeding several boxes? Sometimes it almost looked like those things were dummy empty boxes just for a show.
One head for the pre-amp and the EQ + a rack of "dumb" power amps?

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
I think generally they are daisy chained, though it wouldnt surprise me if some used splitters. yngwie still tours with something like 30 "marshalls" which is actually 5-6 stacks and a bunch of decoys, but that is still a lot of amps and really loud! Brian May's setup is similar with 30 AC-30s. if i remember right, brian may had a wet/dry/wet setup with 4 dry AC30s and 2 wet AC30s

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I think generally they are daisy chained, though it wouldnt surprise me if some used splitters. yngwie still tours with something like 30 "marshalls" which is actually 5-6 stacks and a bunch of decoys, but that is still a lot of amps and really loud! Brian May's setup is similar with 30 AC-30s. if i remember right, brian may had a wet/dry/wet setup with 4 dry AC30s and 2 wet AC30s
Brian now uses 2 :D

You’d think if you were going to use fake cabs, you’d at least have backs on them. Unless you’re the headliner, the amps will be coming off stage after the performance in full view of the audience. Seems to me the last thing the road crew would want to be worried about is making sure no one sees the empty fake cabs.

Back in the day, I had 2 Marshall heads onstage, both on, but only using one (with one cab). The other guitar player had a Marshall combo sitting on top of a fake cab. We placed them side by side so it looked pretty impressive.

Trending Topics