1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Walnut, Gibson, GC--Who's to Blame? (Now a NGD)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by LeGar, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

I agree that it sounds like Guitar Centers acoustic room isn't humidified properly. However, every new Gibson I have played (acoustic or electric) in the last 2 years has been a poor experience (dead frets, tuning issues, etc.) with the exception of one mid level acoustic. That said, I am a fan and owner of Gibson products but they have had some serious quality control issues lately as well. Probably due their recent financial woes. Also, a poorly humidified room is asking for trouble so there's that too.

2. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Great NGD, my main performing and recording guitars are J45s (1 vintage, 1 custom shop), and I can say without a doubt these Walnut J15s are GREAT!

LeGar likes this.
  3. s2y

s2y Member

The few times I went to my local GC, their acoustic room was extremely humid.

I have a walnut Taylor. I like the tone. I'd imagine walnut will become a lot more common in the coming years, which isn't a bad thing.

LeGar likes this.
  4. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

When I first started looking, I went for the usual tone woods. I thought it had to be mahogany or rosewood. I was looking at Eastman, Larrivee, and Martin. In my search I stumbled across the J-45 Studio, and I thought it was odd that Gibson used walnut. As I searched further into things, I discovered the J-15. After playing a few--including the abismal examples--I knew there was something special about the tonal quality of the walnut guitars. It really does sit between rosewood and mahogany, plus it has amazing visual variety.

I know the use of walnut came from necessity for Gibson, but I'm glad it happened. From a sustainability and tonal standpoint, I think walnut is a great choice for acoustic guitars. I applaud Gibson for trying some nontraditional tone wood combinations.