Walrus Audio Badwater DI - Sansamp Killer?

Gotta say, this mimics the Sansamp to such a degree it's clear WA is going after Tech 21. The only thing interesting is the Low-Mid and High-Mid controls.

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Sansamp for quite a while at one point and the Badwater not having a parallel input like the Sansamp would limit its use for me. Only firsthand testing really tells the tale but nothing in a couple of YouTube demos sounded super exciting. Sansamp has been the king of $200-300 preamp/DI's too long and for good reason. Doubtful this one will make a big dent in Tech 21's business. For anyone on the fence the Badwater costing $50 more won't help either.

olejason

I don't see the Walrus making a dent in the market dominance of Sansamp and Darkglass for bass preamps.

Jon Moody

I don't see the Walrus making a dent in the market dominance of Sansamp and Darkglass for bass preamps.

Darkglass hits a very specific market of bass player that's looking for the DK sound. I could see someone having both.

The Sansamp is a legacy product that people will buy because it was first, not that it's the best. Tech 21 has a number of better preamps available; I'd go with the Q-Strip if I was looking at T21.

It'll be interesting to see where this one falls. I can see it being put up with the other higher end preamp pedals from Aguilar, Trickfish, Nordstrand, Mesa and more.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Darkglass hits a very specific market of bass player that's looking for the DK sound. I could see someone having both.

The Sansamp is a legacy product that people will buy because it was first, not that it's the best. Tech 21 has a number of better preamps available; I'd go with the Q-Strip if I was looking at T21.

It'll be interesting to see where this one falls. I can see it being put up with the other higher end preamp pedals from Aguilar, Trickfish, Nordstrand, Mesa and more.
I concur and think that DG offers much more in their two big boxes. I love the ADAM and am looking at getting the Photon for more traditional bass sounds. So much gear packed into these units.

Jon Moody

Wow. What a shock! Thanks for sharing.

I see a rapid decline for DG in the near future. In general, I feel Korg products are low quality.

We'll see. I don't think it's that dire, but there is legitimate cause for concern. I've been paying close attention to Aguilar the past two years, and there has been a definite change (esp now, since both Daves are gone) that's happened. Some is inevitable, but some is unfortunate.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom